melonDS emulator v0.9.2 out, adds support for 16:9 hacks and loading archived files

me.lons.png

melonDS inches closer towards a version 1.0 with the emulator's latest release: 0.9.2. There are a few new improvements and changes with the latest revision to melonDS this time around, namely the ability to load ROMs that are archived, along with a GUI that shows you what games you played last, so that you can quickly access them again. macOS users will be pleased to know that overall performance is smoother, especially in regards to OpenGL. Games like WarioWare DIY are now playable in the emulator, too, as melonDS has added support for NAND save memory. If you're a fan of using 16:9 widescreen hacks for your favorite games, melonDS can do that as well. Check out all the new changes by grabbing the latest build at the source below.

:arrow: Source

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I do wish there is a ds emulator that allows actual 2 screens on fullscreen like that viral video during the ds's lifetime.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I dunno my Master System still works and is freaking old, but the thing is sturdy as hell.
i understand what you talk here, but to be real, the built in quality is not the same between a master system (in this case the better) and ds/3ds. i know because i have both (2 masters, one ds and one 3ds) XD. heck, even between other handhelds =(. so yep, i love emulation and preservation!

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
i understand what you talk here, but to be real, the built in quality is not the same between a master system (in this case the better) and ds/3ds. i know because i have both (2 masters, one ds and one 3ds) XD. heck, even between other handhelds =(. so yep, i love emulation and preservation!

The Fat DS is quite sturdy for a handheld but yeah it won't last forever.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
if you mean code wise. idk. although i think its based on desmume so yeah most likely.

if you mean playing the game wise. DraStic seems fine in the games which i played.

I remember try DraStic a few years ago and sure the games were running at great speeds but I remember there being a lot of weird graphics going on. so I figured those were highlevel dynarec inaccuracies. Perhaps it's been improved by now, it's probably been updated quite a bit since then.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if you mean code wise. idk. although i think its based on desmume so yeah most likely.
drastic can't be based of desmume as it's licensed under GPL.

Speaking of accuracy there are some things drastic allegedly does more accurately than desmume.

I remember try DraStic a few years ago and sure the games were running at great speeds but I remember there being a lot of weird graphics going on. so I figured those were highlevel dynarec inaccuracies. Perhaps it's been improved by now, it's probably been updated quite a bit since then.
Those are probably issues with the GPU emulation. CPU emulation (i.e. the dynarec) you basically have to get right (otherwies you get crashes), while with things like timing (which shouldn't matter to a properly programmed game) or GPU, to the game it doesn't matter if e.g. there's a black seem between two polygons, there's a margin of error.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
drastic can't be based of desmume as it's licensed under GPL.

Speaking of accuracy there are some things drastic allegedly does more accurately than desmume.

from what i gathered its based on. doesn't use the extract code. i mean if it did use the same code. it wouldn't be Pokemon friendly emu. it was promised by the dev (Exophase) that he would open-source it one day. so if he does. will see how much its alike. or if its something completely different.

:)

edit: i mean its one of the smartest move of the gaming homebrew scene. based it on a good working emu code. of a pretty recent console. popular console. made it not too expensive (very cheap imo) on the play store,

has one million plus downloads. times that by the how much its sold for.

not_bad.png

melonDS should take notes. because even if its a donate version like PPSSPP it would help in the development and improving it.

Last edited by Flame,

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
from what i gathered its based on. doesn't use the extract code. i mean if it did use the same code. it wouldn't be Pokemon friendly emu.
these days desmume runs Pokemon pretty well. There are a few quirks, but Pokemon doesn't require a super accurate emulation. So some distinction between "Pokemon friendly" or not is pretty stupid. Of course chances are high that Exophase looked into desmume are pretty high, though by that logic melonDS is based on desmume as well (as Arisotura even used to contribute to desmume).

edit: i mean its one of the smartest move of the gaming homebrew scene. based it on a good working emu code. of a pretty recent console. popular console. made it not too expensive (very cheap imo) on the play store,

has one million plus downloads. times that by the how much its sold for.

not_bad.png

melonDS should take notes. because even if its a donate version like PPSSPP it would help in the development and improving it.
money doesn't automatically make everything better. Arisotura has a Patreon which is mostly used for covering hosting and occaisonal hw purchases. Though if we got double the amount per month I doubt developement would be twice as fast.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
money doesn't automatically make everything better. Arisotura has a Patreon which is mostly used for covering hosting and occaisonal hw purchases. Though if we got double the amount per month I doubt developement would be twice as fast.

i wasn't thinking of faster development. i was thinking more like buying stuff to test with, to see if things are accurate.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if you mean playing the game wise. DraStic seems fine in the games which i played.

Android 11's bullshit scoped storage broke DraStic (as in, no ROM loading), and since the author doesn't give a damn, Melon DS is my only option.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Android 11's bullshit scoped storage broke DraStic (as in, no ROM loading), and since the author doesn't give a damn, Melon DS is my only option.

I dont know about that. i dont have DraStic on my current phone (Samsung S21) i have it on my rooted/modded phone (OnePlus 6T).

i did check the DraStic forums, i think he knows about it. i think his limited to what google allows on they OS. i wouldnt blame the dev yet. i would blame Google first. :)

Reactions: banjo2

Chris75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New to DS emulation but not emulation. I know roms can be compressed for almost all consoles. What is the compression method used for compressing DS roms readable by melonds. Can melon DS read both 7z and zip ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?