melonDS emulator v0.9.2 out, adds support for 16:9 hacks and loading archived files

me.lons.png

melonDS inches closer towards a version 1.0 with the emulator's latest release: 0.9.2. There are a few new improvements and changes with the latest revision to melonDS this time around, namely the ability to load ROMs that are archived, along with a GUI that shows you what games you played last, so that you can quickly access them again. macOS users will be pleased to know that overall performance is smoother, especially in regards to OpenGL. Games like WarioWare DIY are now playable in the emulator, too, as melonDS has added support for NAND save memory. If you're a fan of using 16:9 widescreen hacks for your favorite games, melonDS can do that as well. Check out all the new changes by grabbing the latest build at the source below.

:arrow: Source

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm pretty hyped for melonDS, after hearing why it exists and what the creator wants to accomplish with it. Pretty neat to see, that it's come so far already in such a short time.

Thejax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno my Master System still works and is freaking old, but the thing is sturdy as hell.

Late to respond, but in a way I feel a handheld console takes more wear and tear then a traditional one, by sheer face of it being moved.

even if you never take it outside, still have to open a DS every time you use it, and can still drop it if your a butter finger.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Late to respond, but in a way I feel a handheld console takes more wear and tear then a traditional one, by sheer face of it being moved.

even if you never take it outside, still have to open a DS every time you use it, and can still drop it if your a butter finger.

My Nintendo Gameboy still technically works it just needs a new glass screen and remember this thing is from 1989. My Pocket Boy and Gameboy Color work perfectly fine but yeah they are a lot newer.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Is it as good as DraStic? You know, since Google started being dicks and forcing Scoped Storage that broke DraStic?
I mean on my brief testing it works well although it has less customization settings like resizing and repositioning of screens isn't as good as drastic. Fullscreen is a bit weird like you have to set a button shortcut for it. It hates my touchscreen. I'm playing super princess peach and it takes 3 touches for it to register on Windows. I might end up installing an Android emulator for Drastic just to see if the performance is better on low watts.

Last edited by fvig2001,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean on my brief testing it works well although it has less customization settings like resizing and repositioning of screens isn't as good as drastic. Fullscreen is a bit weird like you have to set a button shortcut for it. It hates my touchscreen. I'm playing super princess peach and it takes 3 touches for it to register on Windows. I might end up installing an Android emulator for Drastic just to see if the performance is better on low watts.

I'm just curious as scoped storage completely breaks DraStic on Android as mentioned before, and the developer hasn't seemed to make progress in months, so I gotta find an alternative.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Good but for now my DS and 3DS still work.
Cool, but it’s a bitch to capture DS footage from a DS/3DS hardware compared to the ease of capturing through emulation. That’s just one reason for DS emulation.

D

Deleted User

Even the sturdiest hardware won't last and nobody needs the hiked-up prices of vintage Handhelds just to enjoy retro games.

None of my Arcade Cabinet favourites survived into 2021 and I also get to enjoy Titles that were restricted to certain countries I didn't live in at the time. As such I'm all for more Emulators gaining ground and technology for my future use, and I've said this before.

That said, I'm one of the people who use the full filesize of a Nintendo Wii WBFS ROM so I can't say I see the benefit of Archiving NDS ROMs either, especially with future Storage speeds, sizes and prices. I also currently have 250+ fully-sized NDS ROMs running TWiLight Menu++ in my New 3DS XL's MicroSD which predicates my position on this.

MAME ROMs, however, are a different story of convenience.

Last edited by , , Reason: Clarification.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
melonDS will be there for us in 10 years, but will our DSes? :P
Trust me chary DS games are designed with the double screen in mind. Hence playing them on any device that doesn't have dual screens seems weird and uncanny.
I just can't find myself comfortable playing them on anything other than a DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0