Homebrew WIP melonDS for Switch

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
for retroarch the save files are located in /retroarch/cores/savefiles/ unlike standalone the file extension needs to be replaced by .sav (i.e. 0413 - Tetris DS (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).nds -> 0413 - Tetris DS (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).sav).

The initial release of the switch libretro core with JIT, suffered from the issue that it couldn't always create the right savefiles on it's own, but that was fixed already days ago, try updating the core.
Some games are still having problems with the saves even with yesterday's build.
Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, Kirby Super Star Ultra and NSMB refuse to detect my saves I've been using on TwilightMenu++ and my flashcard while all my other games detect them without issue (though they do seem to create a new one just fine), and Portrait of Ruin just flatout refuses to detect and even create a new save file.
All of this on a Switch with the March 19th build.

delta nite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So today I tried the Libretro core and got major slowdown on Mario Kart DS even at the highest clocks.
Is there something settings wise I might be missing?

JayMathis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Bowser's Inside Story I created new save and it made Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story.sav in retroarch/cores/savefiles and I overwrote that with my save from my 3ds but then it won't let the game start. I updated to latest core on libretro.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some games are still having problems with the saves even with yesterday's build.
Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, Kirby Super Star Ultra and NSMB refuse to detect my saves I've been using on TwilightMenu++ and my flashcard while all my other games detect them without issue (though they do seem to create a new one just fine), and Portrait of Ruin just flatout refuses to detect and even create a new save file.
All of this on a Switch with the March 19th build.

I can't reproduce the error with Portrait of Ruin.

So today I tried the Libretro core and got major slowdown on Mario Kart DS even at the highest clocks.
any specific tracks? In my experience the game runs fullspeed with overclocking, with occaisonal slow downs.

delta nite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
specific tracks? In my experience the game runs fullspeed with overclocking, with occaisonal slow downs.
In High Performance overclock mode, the game stays 60 fps with some sound glitches until getting into a race. As soon as Lakitu starts the countdown, framerste seems to fluctuate between 29 and 40 fps.

Last edited by delta nite,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
don't you sometimes wonder what the point of the cfg is if you basically have to delete it twice a day anyways?

I agree that it can be annoying, I kind of wish that they would rework how configs are savbed and updated.
Why should I have to regenerate a new retroarch.cfg file to get an updated core working properly?
There are core configs so why what all core related configs be it there?

And why aren't the cores bundled with otimized configs if something config related has changes from the previous version of the core?

I guess this is not the correct place to raise such questions, but I do anyway :P

Anyway, I love this project and the retroarch project. Let's hope that everything get's a bit more streamlined in the future.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In High Performance overclock mode, the game stays 60 fps with some sound glitches until getting into a race. As soon as Lakitu starts the countdown, framerste seems to fluctuate between 29 and 40 fps.
for maximum performance make sure to set the JIT block size as high as possible and enable literal optimisations (note that especially the latter one is known to break some games so this is not 100% recommended)

lusal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big thanks to hydr8gon and catlover007 for your time and effort! This is very cool stuff. Much appreciated!

I know I must be missing something obvious...but is there some secret to getting my joycon controls rotated when using melonds with a flipgrip? Screen orientation or rotation still leaves me with my analogs operating on the opposite axes.

Attachments

• potato.jpg
    potato.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: FanNintendo

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know I must be missing something obvious...but is there some secret to getting my joycon controls rotated when using melonds with a flipgrip? Screen orientation or rotation still leaves me with my analogs operating on the opposite axes.
Can you elaborate? Are you talking about games where you rotate the DS itself?

lusal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you elaborate? Are you talking about games where you rotate the DS itself?

Sure thing.

Switch is in the vertical position, joycons are in the flipgrip in vertical position. What I'm experiencing is that my left and right directions on the analog are now inputting as up and down. The reverse is also true - up and down are inputting as left and right.

I hope that gives a bit more detail. Thanks again, man!

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I use Flip Grip and don't have your problem ingame. Of course outside of melon, the buttons are gonna be a mess. The Flip Grip is not something that the Switch detects. It still thinks letf is left and down is down. It doesn't know you rotated the axes.

Maybe you think OzoneOS should rotate with you. That ain't done yet. I wish, thought.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Same issue plus another one. :)

The retroarch core currently has no option to rotate both screens by 90° (clockwise as well as counterclockwise, I'm not sure if thats the correct orientation for the flipgrip, I might have put the Switch in it incorrectly ;) ) so you could use a flipgrip
CLcPeKs.png

Also if you use the Switch in a normal handheld configuration, it would be nice to have a 'special' button mappable (R3 for example) to be able to switch from 'Only top screen' to 'Only bottom screen' instantly.

(So you could have a bigger image (with only one screen displayed at a time in normal horizontal Switch mode (handheld).)

Would be great if you could implement those. (You had the option in your stand alone builds. :) )

Last edited by notimp,

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Same issue plus another one. :)
Dude follow the instruction, that's just the way the Flip Grip is not supposed to. The sound plug should go on your left. It is in the instruction, you need to pay attention to the borders of your Switch.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Dude follow the instruction, that's just the way the Flip Grip is not supposed to. The sound plug should go on your left. It is in the instruction, you need to pay attention to the borders of your Switch.
@catlover007 - we need the other 90° orientation (image) turn. ;)

Image was from me testing it out way back when. I screencaptured it from youtube just now - and remembered, that I might not have had the orientation correct when I first tested it. ;) All is good, the Switch comes out again both ways. ;) (Draws a little less air though, when put in wrongly. ;) Not recommended. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
@catlover007 - we need the other 90° orientation (image) turn. ;)

Image was from me testing it out way back when. I screencaptured it from youtube just now - and remembered, that I might not have had the orientation correct when I first tested it. ;) All is good, the Switch comes out again both ways. ;) (Draws a little less air though, when put in wrongly. ;) Not recommended. ;) )
It's no joke. Look at my attached image.

Attachments

• flip grip instructions (easy ones).jpg
    flip grip instructions (easy ones).jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 223

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It's no joke. Look at my attached image.
Yes you can read manual like no other. ;)

(I posted the image originally, because I hadn't seen that you'd already posted one, and was under the impression that catlover007 needed a visual reference. While posting, I remembered, that I might have had the orientation wong the first time I tried out the flipgrip (months back - when I recorded the video I screencaptured for the reference above.). I'm well aware of the embossed 'orientation helpers' in the casing, and have corrected my wrong ways months back. Please dont hurt me.)

( ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, prove it
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it