Mention a good software that got discontinued

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo Anime Channel v_v
Wasn't as good as Nintendo Video, though.

Windows XP was an amazing operating system, less bloated unlike the later ones where Microsoft started shoving ads, bloatware and spyware to collect data from users. It was also less harsh on the RAM too and you got plenty of space for storage.

Reactions: scarlettyooom

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Wasn't as good as Nintendo Video, though.

Windows XP was an amazing operating system, less bloated unlike the later ones where Microsoft started shoving ads, bloatware and spyware to collect data from users. It was also less harsh on the RAM too and you got plenty of space for storage.
i dont care my data being recollected for the sake of big enterprises
Post automatically merged:

@SylverReZ im talking seriously

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think there are still some people who will swear by SP1 due to the overhead of the firewall and security protections in SP2.
Different kernels and added features in general, but yes SP2+ is noticeably heavier than the previous ones (which are mostly the truly professional 2000 with crappy gimmicks)

Anyway... the classic pre-KMS linux video drivers, with working ctrl+alt+numpad video mode switching, with drivers for tons of vintage cards, and with no

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Back in the day everyone was snarling to the contrary. The Themes service was seen as particularly obnoxious, and I think there are still some people who will swear by SP1 due to the overhead of the firewall and security protections in SP2.
Yes and no. Compared to earlier entries in the NT series this is true. Compared to later ones XP is a slim, simple and fast OS.
It is true that XP was the first Windows requiring quite excessive turning off of useless rubbish, particularly the designs service you mentioned. Equally true is that SP2/SP3 notably increased the footprint concerning RAM and CPU usage – bundling useless crap with security updates. I was among those who complained over the beginning bloat in standard installations (not bringing in nLite).
While purists would prefer NT4 or NT5.0 (aka 2000), the hardware and (third-party) software support for the older variants stopped even earlier. XP was a good compromise between convenience (newer stuff just worked up to 2016 or so – beyond official support end) and "just leave me alone with the crap" purist interpretation.
XP saw many generations of hardware (see Moore's Law) and ran f a s t on later computers that came with Vista – unable to handle the weight of this unexpected monstrosity (which contributed to the bad reputation in conjunction with the stupid "Every other Windows is either good or bad" statement).

I can "debloat" Windows XP standard installation in a few minutes by hand, half asleep, without even thinking about it.
Setting up Windows 10 on the other hand like going to war with your own computer. I had to do it twice for other people and once for myself and just couldn't stop swearing at the useless crap that kept popping up until Bloat Hydra got finally overwhelmed by some debloating script – not even talking about the telemetry BS, Microsoft Accounts and the like.

Office 2010 was the best.
I had expected Office 2003 to be in that position because of "stupid ribbon controls introduced in 2007".
That said I moved to OpenOffice (later to LibreOffice) early on.
============

Fully back to the initial topic:
CloneCD
Still for sale, but not in active development for eternity. Last update many years ago was more or less a licensing change due to the demise of Slysoft. One of the best CD burning engines ever, but the program is/was far from complete when CDs were still in active usage. It never saw the very needed additions to the reading+detection engine (interpretation of intentional certain bad TOC, Twin sector trap ranges detection and dumping as well as DPM support).

Blindwrite Suite
Not even for sale anymore. I really wish VSO would published this one as open source software, as it contains so many bugs, which never got addressed. Having a very special functionality (to my knowledge) never implemented by any other mainstream software, it would be cool to gain full access to the inner workings of this program – instead of the dumbed down user interface forced on the user (much functionality hidden behind obscure profile settings that get ignored most of the time).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F