Metroid Prime 4 scrapped, development starting fresh, Nintendo reveals

Nintendo has uploaded a new video detailing development on the long awaited Metroid Prime 4. In the video, Shinya Takahashi, Senior Managing Executive Officer, reveals that development on Metroid Prime 4 has not reached Nintendo's own standards, and that development has been started from scratch. He also revealed that the game will now be developed in collaboration with Retro Studios, the original developer of the Metroid Prime series.

This will cause a significant delay in the internal planned release schedule, which is sure to disappoint fans of the series. It is stressed that the game is still in development, and Takahashi-san promises that the game will "stand shoulder-to-shoulder" with past Prime titles.

:arrow: Source

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to me this is pretty obvious. A switch PRO is coming and Metroid is coming exclusively to that system. They had to remake it because it wasn't suitable for next gen docked mode. It most likely wont have a handheld mode.

Reactions: huma_dawii

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
to me this is pretty obvious. A switch PRO is coming and Metroid is coming exclusively to that system. They had to remake it because it wasn't suitable for next gen docked mode. It most likely wont have a handheld mode.
This seems like your wishlist more than anything that might actually happen. Nintendo has never in any generation decided, "fuck it, build me the strongest console out there and make sure it's a clone of whatever our competitors are doing." On top of that, they aren't going to release a hybrid console, only to immediately turn around and remove the reason for much of its sales success.

Reactions: EmulateLife

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's some details from Imran Khan, Senior Editor at Game Informer

- the problem came from Nintendo's experimental ad-hoc development process
- Metroid Prime 4 was being made in parts in different countries
- some studios were progressing smoothly with the project, while others were having a lot of trouble
- Nintendo started to think that the game needed to be all under one roof to set things straight
- Retro made the pitch for their involvement and put together a demo that Nintendo liked
- the Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch port has been completed for quite some time
- it was originally going to be announced last month
- there's more Metroid stuff in development

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's some details from Imran Khan, Senior Editor at Game Informer

- the problem came from Nintendo's experimental ad-hoc development process
- Metroid Prime 4 was being made in parts in different countries
- some studios were progressing smoothly with the project, while others were having a lot of trouble
- Nintendo started to think that the game needed to be all under one roof to set things straight
- Retro made the pitch for their involvement and put together a demo that Nintendo liked
- the Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch port has been completed for quite some time
- it was originally going to be announced last month
- there's more Metroid stuff in development

here's the source:

[stop embedding stuff please]https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1088857688027480065
with more from his twitter: https://twitter.com/imranzomg

Wonder what his sources are, though they'll be better than most I'd wager.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: TotalJustice

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is everyone asking for a port of 1-3? Did you guys simply toss out your GameCube, Wii and Wii U consoles? If so, that's stupid as fuck! I could care less about a trilogy port and if they do, Metroid Prime 3 better be the NTSC version and not the censored PAL copy. It's OK to say the word "damn", Nintendo.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is everyone asking for a port of 1-3? Did you guys simply toss out your GameCube, Wii and Wii U consoles? If so, that's stupid as fuck! I could care less about a trilogy port and if they do, Metroid Prime 3 better be the NTSC version and not the censored PAL copy. It's OK to say the word "damn", Nintendo.

Have to agree with this. I don't know why people act like as soon as a console stops making games that console is useless. I wouldn't get rid of my Wii U for anything it has Wii U games + over 100 injects of Wii, GC, N64 and DS. I also have a Switch and love both.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I own the trilogy version on Wii. Which i think is quite hard to get here in the uk. I would definitely replay it... but recently I think I would rather play it remastered on switch :)

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah actually I'd love to replay Metroid Prime 3 without having to use the Wiimote. 1 and 2 you can play using Gamecube isos but as of right now, only way to play 3 is with the Wiimote.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

-better fps
-better textures
-extras/bug fixes

plus not sure how hard it is to buy the wii version. i know we got all 3 on one disc in the states, and japan got them as separate releases, but i don't know about the rest of the world. i vaguely remember it being hard tp get, but that have just been me at the time. widescreen is nice, as well. and having both control options would be nifty (can't remember if this was an option for wii)

Last edited by osaka35,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-better fps
-better textures
-extras/bug fixes

plus not sure how hard it is to buy the wii version. i know we got all 3 on one disc in the states, and japan got them as separate releases, but i don't know about the rest of the world. i vaguely remember it being hard tp get, but that have just been me at the time. widescreen is nice, as well. and having both control options would be nifty (can't remember if this was an option for wii)

It's a little pricey, I was considering selling mine recently it's complete with slip cover and it fetches around $75 on Ebay. (USA)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have to agree with this. I don't know why people act like as soon as a console stops making games that console is useless. I wouldn't get rid of my Wii U for anything it has Wii U games + over 100 injects of Wii, GC, N64 and DS. I also have a Switch and love both.

Glad that someone sees my point. I can understand port begging for games that never made it to a Nintendo platform. As hard as it may be for some people here, not everyone has multiple consoles therefore, some people ONLY game on Nintendo. Port begging for a game that is only a few generations old on a pervious Nintendo system is just annoying. Ironically we had a console capable of playing every Nintendo game for two generations with the Wii and Wii U. Sadly both Nintendo and gamers shitted all over Wii U and now we have the Switch. I like my Switch but quite frankly it will never be the all in one Nintendo box that we had with Wii and Wii U. Here's hoping that we get that with Switch 2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: gonna look if i still have that sd card adapter