Metroid Prime 4 scrapped, development starting fresh, Nintendo reveals

Nintendo has uploaded a new video detailing development on the long awaited Metroid Prime 4. In the video, Shinya Takahashi, Senior Managing Executive Officer, reveals that development on Metroid Prime 4 has not reached Nintendo's own standards, and that development has been started from scratch. He also revealed that the game will now be developed in collaboration with Retro Studios, the original developer of the Metroid Prime series.

This will cause a significant delay in the internal planned release schedule, which is sure to disappoint fans of the series. It is stressed that the game is still in development, and Takahashi-san promises that the game will "stand shoulder-to-shoulder" with past Prime titles.

:arrow: Source

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad that someone sees my point. I can understand port begging for games that never made it to a Nintendo platform. As hard as it may be for some people here, not everyone has multiple consoles therefore, some people ONLY game on Nintendo. Port begging for a game that is only a few generations old on a pervious Nintendo system is just annoying. Ironically we had a console capable of playing every Nintendo game for two generations with the Wii and Wii U. Sadly both Nintendo and gamers shitted all over Wii U and now we have the Switch. I like my Switch but quite frankly it will never be the all in one Nintendo box that we had with Wii and Wii U. Here's hoping that we get that with Switch 2.

But there is one reason other than the slightly higher framerate and upscale you'd get on the Switch, getting to avoid wiimote play on Metroid Prime 3 is a plus. To me anytime you can avoid using the wiimote it's a good thing.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems like your wishlist more than anything that might actually happen. Nintendo has never in any generation decided, "fuck it, build me the strongest console out there and make sure it's a clone of whatever our competitors are doing." On top of that, they aren't going to release a hybrid console, only to immediately turn around and remove the reason for much of its sales success.

this isnt 2001 where game consoles had to be equally powerful as pc tech. I always though Nintendo themselves realized that switch hardware was missing a lot in terms of the power they themselves wanted to make 60fps 1080p games with, most of the non-wiiu ports barely do 540-900p 30fps and third party games are hit or miss badly on old ports. It doesnt have to be a clone of ps5 or xb2 but it has to have some power to at least make it easier for 3rd party devs to comfortably makes games for it.

Im gonna assume retro went way overboard with Metroid Prime 4 and they have to wait for the next gen, OR what they worked on was such trash in terms of comparing with modern FPS games that they had to scrap everything. but both p roblems point to the same answer, refreshing it for next gen Nintendo.

Reactions: DeslotlCL

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone likes the Wii Remote....

Also, that's why I said to me.
Love it's all good :) I know that people are split on the Wii Remote. It's one of the reasons why I like Nintendo's Swiss army knife mentality to Wii, Wii U and Switch gaming. People should be able to play with the control scheme that they are used to.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems like your wishlist more than anything that might actually happen. Nintendo has never in any generation decided, "fuck it, build me the strongest console out there and make sure it's a clone of whatever our competitors are doing." On top of that, they aren't going to release a hybrid console, only to immediately turn around and remove the reason for much of its sales success.
They did. That were their thinking back in the 90-early 2000's. They were pretty competitive in term of graphics and also gameplay. They just started forgetting about graphics and went the casual route with the wii till today.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo has uploaded a new video detailing development on the long awaited Metroid Prime 4. In the video, Shinya Takahashi, Senior Managing Executive Officer, reveals that development on Metroid Prime 4 has not reached Nintendo's own standards, and that development has been started from scratch. He also revealed that the game will now be developed in collaboration with Retro Studios, the original developer of the Metroid Prime series.

This will cause a significant delay in the internal planned release schedule, which is sure to disappoint fans of the series. It is stressed that the game is still in development, and Takahashi-san promises that the game will "stand shoulder-to-shoulder" with past Prime titles.

:arrow: Source

Shouldve been retro studios from the start....

Reactions: TheZander

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
the gameplay was unique, but wasn't very metroid. Which is fine for a spin-off, but the aspects that make a metroid a metroid weren't in this game. So as a stand-alone game, it was a fun little thing after you understood the expectations. As a metroid game it completely failed from a gameplay standpoint.

I'm hoping the new gameplay captures that metroid feel and is fun.
prime games were also alot diferent from the main metroid games.

2d metroids and primes are preety diferent and then you got metroid prime pinbal,metroid prime hunters and other m, metroid is very diverse gameplaywise imo.

Reactions: tyrantnyx

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There's a rumor floating around of a Metroid Prime Trilogy release now. While, yes, it's a rumor. I choose to believe it's likely. Fight me.
i will get it if they make an option to play with normal controllers in metroid prime 3 in portable mode atleast, i just hate gyro and ir aiming crap, im an dual(well single in mp1 and 2 lol) analog only person.

Reactions: Kioku

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They did. That were their thinking back in the 90-early 2000's. They were pretty competitive in term of graphics and also gameplay. They just started forgetting about graphics and went the casual route with the wii till today.
They've never cared about beating out competitors in graphics processing power. Gamecube just happened to be slightly more powerful than the competition, but that still wasn't what its marketing was focused on.

Nintendo never needed a lot of power to make the games they wanted to make. They've been able to produce their first-party games in HD and 60 FPS for three generations now. Something Sony can't seem to do even on PS4 Pro.

this isnt 2001 where game consoles had to be equally powerful as pc tech. I always though Nintendo themselves realized that switch hardware was missing a lot in terms of the power they themselves wanted to make 60fps 1080p games with, most of the non-wiiu ports barely do 540-900p 30fps and third party games are hit or miss badly on old ports. It doesnt have to be a clone of ps5 or xb2 but it has to have some power to at least make it easier for 3rd party devs to comfortably makes games for it.
Literally none of this matters, as the last generation of portables was roughly 240p or 480p at most. They still attracted plenty of third party titles, because there's always going to be plenty of interest in portable gaming. Nintendo has that space locked down right now, and your advice to them is to give up that trump card and grind it out against the competition with a stationary console that has no unique defining features. That's never ever been Nintendo's forte, and they'd be in Sega's position now if they had tried to go that route with previous generations.

Last edited by Xzi,

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And I was waiting for a fail video instead... Now I can wait another 12 years (after MP3 was released to this day).

Now that Retro Studios has taken over development, it's now in safe hands, but however, if this is the case, then what the hell has Retro been up to all this time? Surely they have been secretly making something?

It could also be some conspiracy going on....oh sorry MP4 has been scrapped and restarted, to make it up to our fans, here is the Metroid Prime Trilogy Remastered, it's something we have been working on in our spare time, this should keep you satisfied until MP4 comes out.
It'll satisfy me totally!

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They've never cared about beating out competitors in graphics processing power. Gamecube just happened to be slightly more powerful than the competition, but that still wasn't what its marketing was focused on.

Nintendo never needed a lot of power to make the games they wanted to make. They've been able to produce their first-party games in HD and 60 FPS for three generations now. Something Sony can't seem to do even on PS4 Pro.

Literally none of this matters, as the last generation of portables was roughly 240p or 480p at most. They still attracted plenty of third party titles, because there's always going to be plenty of interest in portable gaming. Nintendo has that space locked down right now, and your advice to them is to give up that trump card and grind it out against the competition with a stationary console that has no unique defining features. That's never ever been Nintendo's forte, and they'd be in Sega's position now if they had tried to go that route with previous generations.
Not true. The snes was build to be a competitor. Its mode 7 was marketed to death, even its ability to use expansion chips to deliver better visuals.The nature of the 64 was the development of true 3d enviroments and to deliver nice visuals and gameplay. The gamecube didnt happen to just be a little powerful than the ps2, it was developed to be a competitor.

Take your glass off for once. There was a time nintendo cared for power, but sadly it wasnt working for them since the competiton was always ahead of them with machines with less power than theirs. That's why they hugely focused on delivering a gameplay changer with the wii, and that's also why the wii is just a glorfied gamecube with motion controls. That's why the wii u is slight powerful than the ps3, they focused too much on the controller (but this time it failed horribly). That's why the also took the wii u concept and made a hybrid handheld.

Also, your comparision is a bit, lacking... Sony studios could perfectly deliver 60 fps games, if nintendo can on non powerful hardware, why sony couldnt on a more powerful one? They focus on visuals. Too much for the liking of some people. Why nintendo can deliver 60 fps games? See their visuals and tech... odyssey isnt impressive, nor isnt smash or splatoon (in term of visuals/graphics, i like to play them by the way). Then you have botw which is 30fps, xenoblade 2 which is 30fps with frame drops and 360p in some areas on handheld mode... dont want to talk about third party stuff with blurry visuals and frame drops...

And three generations? WHAT? They just started hd development on the previous gen... what in the actual fuck.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Not true. The snes was build to be a competitor. Its mode 7 was marketed to death, even its ability to use expansion chips to deliver better visuals.The nature of the 64 was the development of true 3d enviroments and to deliver nice visuals and gameplay. The gamecube didnt happen to just be a little powerful than the ps2, it was developed to be a competitor.

Take your glass off for once. There was a time nintendo cared for power, but sadly it wasnt working for them since the competiton was always ahead of them with machines with less power than theirs. That's why they hugely focused on delivering a gameplay changer with the wii, and that's also why the wii is just a glorfied gamecube with motion controls. That's why the wii u is slight powerful than the ps3, they focused too much on the controller (but this time it failed horribly). That's why the also took the wii u concept and made a hybrid handheld.

Also, your comparision is a bit, lacking... Sony studios could perfectly deliver 60 fps games, if nintendo can on non powerful hardware, why sony couldnt on a more powerful one? They focus on visuals. Too much for the liking of some people. Why nintendo can deliver 60 fps games? See their visuals and tech... odyssey isnt impressive, nor isnt smash or splatoon (in term of visuals/graphics, i like to play them by the way). Then you have botw which is 30fps, xenoblade 2 which is 30fps with frame drops and 360p in some areas on handheld mode... dont want to talk about third party stuff with blurry visuals and frame drops...

And three generations? WHAT? They just started hd development on the previous gen... what in the actual fuck.
They actually started it during the end of the og Xbox Era. There are a few games on the Xbox that support HD output.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Xzi

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Kioku

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nowhere did i say nintendo had to make a stationary console, but they sure as hell can make a new console with a lot of juice. Again, even the switch can't provide the adequate amount of horsepower to run the games the way nintendo wants them to run, hence all the delays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy