Metroid Prime fangame Prime 2D releases its first demo

prime-2d-nintendo-life-img.original.jpg

Prime 2D is a fan-made remake of Metroid Prime in the style of the 2D Metroid games, developed by a group known as Team SCU. It is not, however, aiming to recreate a 1:1 version of Metroid Prime in 2D. Instead, it uses familiar elements from that game, like locations, music and enemies, and adapts and translates them to 2D as a commentary on the shift from 2D to 3D gaming. "Instead of copying the source material exactly, we are instead focused on taking the core concepts, translating those, and then implementing them in a logical 2D solution," reads a post by one of the team members from their official forums. "By doing this we allow ourselves to focus on building a good game first and foremost, and then using that as a base on which to create a familiar experience, rather than constraining ourselves to trying to implement 3D ideas in 2D space."

According to a post on their forums, work on Prime 2D started in 2004 and has continued irregularly since then, seeing several shifts in personnel along the way. After a lengthy silent period, Team SCU released their first full demo on their official forums on April 1, as a reference to a long-running gag of releasing fake demos on April Fool's Day. Currently, it is only runnable on Windows and requires a mouse and keyboard to play. It is unknown if gamepad controls will be added to this demo or future releases. You can download the Prime 2D demo at this link or at the source link below.

:arrow: Source

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, there's a reason AM2R is called another Metroid 2 remake. Remember Vonricher's Metroid SR388?

Has it not occurred to anyone that maybe the developer decided the project was too ambitious and decided to release the demo fully aware that a takedown notice from Nintendo would be the perfect excuse to abandon it?

What happened to that fan game and it's creator?

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Way to rub it in Metroid fans, it’s bad enough Nintendo isn’t providing to this franchise, but now fans need to get teased by a game they will never get to see the full version :( Wow 15yrs in development for this too
Welcome to the world of fangames. Honestly I prefer to play fan demos rather than absolutely nothing. I even wish there were even more of that

And yeah, SR388 is a « fan-vaporware » at it's best. Tho I still remember Metroid Coven and Metroid Father Hunt, even Minitroid that was cute asf but this one didn't wanted to do more. Still a bit sad those didn't get further but it was still cool and I'm glad I tried those, it's still more than Nintendo did with the franchise lately (well, except for Samus Returns I guess)

Last edited by LightBeam,

Shenrai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just wait and release the full version instead? Quite difficult to prevent it from circulating that way.

tomberyx

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Really good job, I'm glad there are people out there who can invest in Metroid. I like the game mechanics very much and the graphics. What I don't like is that it is not so gloomy and that the tension immediately disappears when you enter the first door exploring. opponents should only appear later to have the feeling of being alone on the planet. Tension is at the top with Metroid. Opponent is only a minor matter and should not come immediately. the beginning should start like Metroid 3, that is very important

Reactions: Vila_

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There are some Metroid like indie games that are good. Hollow Knight is basically Metroid on steroids, too bad is a whole lot harder that Metroid 2 that happens to be my favorite Metroid game.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I'm "blown" away by this!
I haven't been this exciting and and interested in a Metroid game since AM2R (Samus returns was a boring, boring experience).
I wish this is finished soon! Cant wait to play it~ <3

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lets count the days before this gets DMCA please
Like that ever stopped anyone lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Its funny that fans are making better games off nintendo titles than nintendo themselves, all they manage is lazy ports.
There's nothing strange in that. Just because Nintendo invented it doesn't mean they do it better. People are just talented and passionate, fresh look on things....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL