mGBA emulator to be available on the Switch soon

IMG_1400.JPG

Considered by many to be the most accurate Game Boy Advance emulator, mGBA will soon be making its way to the Nintendo Switch. The official Twitter account for the emulator teased their homebrew running through preexisting versions on the Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita, alongside a Nintendo Switch, with the tagline of "mGBA does what Nintendon't." The developer is new to Switch homebrew, but is working on creating a standalone version. No release date window was given, nor any specifics, but it'll be the third major GBA emulator on the Switch, joining VBA-next and gdkGBA, as well as methods available through RetroArch.

:arrow: Source

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
mgba has my save states for the mario party-e card game. soon i can play them on my switch! way to go!
Might not work. Save States are pretty volatile, and sometimes they don't work on different devices. Not to mention the Switch version might not be based on the same version that your save state is from.

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is more accurate about this emulation compared to others?
On accuracy in general:
Often, emulators have accuracy issues that aren't apparent with the vast majority of games. Sometimes, though, this becomes apparent through glitches not present in the original ("The Great GBA DMA Disaster", as described by Endrift, comes to mind), crashes that don't happen with the original but result in buggy behavior, and some more obscure games just don't work or have major issues. Even some more popular games have some serious issues with accuracy, like the SNES game Tetris Attack's 2P mode which doesn't display properly on most emulators including SNES9X.

Often, sound accuracy also affects emulation; very few sound chips can actually be emulated perfectly (to name two better known ones, NES and more recently SNES). Sound inaccuracies result in things not quite sounding the way they should be, and in some extreme cases it can sound just plain bad (Genesis being a perfect example).

In most accuracy-focused emulators' cases, you can't just talk about one specific thing that makes it more accurate, rather, many. Emulators don't just have one thing to do to make it more accurate as there's always usually thousands of issues that are caused by lesser accuracy. Overall, this emulator has less bugs than numerous other games. Take a look at these three pages for just a few of them.

EDIT: Also, check out this video: . It doesn't demonstrate mGBA at all (and the GB(C) emulation isn't great considering the early state) but it still describes accuracy well.

Last edited by FateForWindows,
Reactions: TheZander

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I actually don't like any AIO emulator setup. Just personal preference.
I can agree, while they're certainly convenient, they're (at least Retroarch is) messier and less beginner friendly than standalone emulators. Like, I still can't figure out how to set the starting directory for Retroarch on my 3DS...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

mgba runs preety fine on new 3ds.
Well on O3DS you can use VC injects and run the games on what's basically native hardware

Reactions: cagycee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1