MGS V for PC comes with empty DVD disc

If you bought the newest iteration of the Metal Gear Solid series to play on your computer, you might have been surprised to notice that the DVD disc that was in the box did not actually contain any game files. All it contains is an installation binary for Steam, allowing you to download the game in full from the Internet (~30 GB).

12638-metal-gear-solid-v.png

What do you think about this? Should the game have been sold as Blu-ray? Or perhaps multiple DVDs?

:arrow: Source

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Not everyone has blu-ray drives; I think there's a growing number of players with no disc drive actually. Maybe they could include a free drive with every box!
Why not, considering they're already throwing money out of windows at this point ;O;

SolidMario7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
akV1kWS.png

oGQkHJT.png

Oh Comcast, why do you have to be like that?

Anyways, those three articles were an interesting read.

screenshot_20150902230702-png.24459
I don't know about you guys but I'm currently fine with my relationship with comcast. :creep:

No, but really; I can see why Konami would pull this. But they HAD to know this would tick most people off.

Attachments

• ScreenShot_20150902230702.png
    ScreenShot_20150902230702.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 506
D

Deleted User

So not only did they waste a DVD, they wasted an expensive 9GB DVD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That sucks. But does no one else remember Blizzard did it first with heart of the swarm?
I remember when I bought Wings of Liberty, put it in the drive, installed it, then it needed to download a 11 GB update because of Heart of the Swarm even though I did not have access to play Heart of the Swarm, so I had to reimburse my mom for those wasted GBs.

Reactions: ihaveahax

q9p

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everybody has a "fast" internet connection.
This argument has been made before. I certainly do agree that not everyone has a fast internet connection. All I had said was that it defeats the purpose of buying a physical game in which you said it was a failure on Konami's end.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LoL lame. Its to be expected. A few dvds compressed is all it'll take.those people that build gaming pcs with no Disc drives are Fail. I cant see it being on a BD-ROM as there are not many PCs with them.

RyanVashEngstrom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Konami never actually cared about pc so this is not surprising.

that's not exactly the same... the problem with HotS was it was sent gold way too early in the development process. the game that actually came out was so different from what was on the disc that the disc did not matter anymore.
HotS disc, fyi
1441186942-sans-titre.jpg

Different region, here the disc had one file for online installer. Would post a pic also but I melted the disc for fun since it was worthless anyway.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
This is actually a good thing in my eyes, we'recommend moving away from non-digital content this further proves that.

24mbps costs around 200 SEK or 30$ a month, so unless you live in India getting a decent connection isn'the expensive.
(Getting 300mbps costs about 1200 SEK or 160$ a month)

Please stop cheaping out then complaining about slow connection (unless you live in a 3rd world country ofc).

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
This is extremely stupid. Pressed discs don't take more time to make of there is more content.

Please stop cheaping out then complaining about slow connection (unless you live in a 3rd world country ofc).
Please stop pretending everyone has as much money as you. Besides, aren't you still living with your parents?

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Pressed discs don't take more time to make of there is more content
Those aren't like the vinyl disks you put on the pick-up and music comes out.
There is no platinum master that is used to "press" new vinyl disks.
Those are laser disks.
A laser lens has to move across the track and burn it.
In other words, the time it takes to burn a disk is analogous to the amount of data you are writing. Although, the price of burning a megabyte on a DL DVD and burning 8 gigabytes on a DL DVD is the same.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are laser disks.
In other words, the time it takes to burn a disk is analogous to the amount of data you are writing. Although, the price of burning a megabyte on a DL DVD and burning 8 gigabytes on a DL DVD is the same.

discs are molded (pressed) from a Glass master disc. however, the price should stay the same for using a meg or 8 GB.

Last edited by driverdis,

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked in the last topic where to find this alleged physical copy of the game. I checked Best Buy, Game Stop, and Amazon. Where are people getting this game physically?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Those are laser disks.
Commercial CD's and DVD's aren't burned. They are pressed. That's why they last longer.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...