filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, i must be the only one who don't mind that the start button is gone. I would have been mad if it was replaced with something worse, but Metro is much better search is faster, you don't need to play hide n seek to find the application you want to execute. Plus we also got a whole new platform to develop applications for, and on top of that the UI matches Windows Phone, Xbox, and Zune(That expensive mp4 player).

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, i must be the only one who don't mind that the start button is gone. I would have been mad if it was replaced with something worse, but Metro is much better search is faster, you don't need to play hide n seek to find the application you want to execute. Plus we also got a whole new platform to develop applications for, and on top of that the UI matches Windows Phone, Xbox, and Zune(That expensive mp4 player).

However you do have to skip past a page of irrelevant crap such as stocks, news, and weather every time you want to access your apps. Not to mention the other limits of Metro that are a pain to work around. For example, no browser addons allowed (and you are limited to MSIE only) so you have to install CFW on your router and set up dnsmasq based ad blocking. Had to set up a pop3 to imap proxy on my Linux based server because the mail app doesn't support pop3. Oh, and no Libreoffice/Openoffice so you have to choose between paying lots of $$$ for MS Office or being limited to Google Docs. Oh, and typing on a touchscreen monitor gets quite painful after a while. Shall I go on?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Many a time I have to figure out some way to get exchange* onto something more civilised and many a time have I moaned about a lack of IMAP on a given server. Never really been nostalgic for POP3 though.

*if your searches have led you here then I highly suggest http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

Also I dare say you are confusing the ARM product with the X86 family product.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
However you do have to skip past a page of irrelevant crap such as stocks, news, and weather every time you want to access your apps. Not to mention the other limits of Metro that are a pain to work around. For example, no browser addons allowed (and you are limited to MSIE only) so you have to install CFW on your router and set up dnsmasq based ad blocking. Had to set up a pop3 to imap proxy on my Linux based server because the mail app doesn't support pop3. Oh, and no Libreoffice/Openoffice so you have to choose between paying lots of $$$ for MS Office or being limited to Google Docs. Oh, and typing on a touchscreen monitor gets quite painful after a while. Shall I go on?
...seriously, there's a desktop button you can use and install whatever the hell you want to. Just use the metro thing as only a menu and there's no issues. And you can uninstall the stocks, weather, news etc. You can uninstall everything except Camera, Settings, Photos and the Store itself.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
...seriously, there's a desktop button you can use and install whatever the hell you want to. Just use the metro thing as only a menu and there's no issues. And you can uninstall the stocks, weather, news etc. You can uninstall everything except Camera, Settings, Photos and the Store itself.

The whole point of it was to use it the way it was intended, pure stock (but with updates) and not using that backwards compatibility "desktop" mode which will most likely be removed in Windows 9 in favor of a Virtual Windows 7 mode or possibly a limited API translation layer similar to Crossover.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The whole point of it was to use it the way it was intended, pure stock (but with updates) and not using that backwards compatibility "desktop" mode which will most likely be removed in Windows 9 in favor of a Virtual Windows 7 mode or possibly a limited API translation layer similar to Crossover.
There is no fucking way they'll remove the desktop in W9 after what happened with 8, seriously. That would be equivalent to suicide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter