Microsoft Disabling Dev Mode Access

carizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would probably recommend uploading Durango FTP to retail as a private app to create a store presence of some kinds, you can also create an account for like $2 if you set the region to Argentina.

Reactions: r5xscn

ceriaz

Trophies
XP
Country
Just had the same email and restriction on my account. I used the dev mode feature for around a month or two on my xbox and never published anything as I wasn't aware of that clause. I could try and get it back, but currently i'm not that fussed.

Reactions: DinohScene

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not using dev mode anymore, retroarch, ppsspp, duckstation and flycast are available in retail.

Yes but it's not easy to get it whitelisted so...

Just another of a thousand reasons to ditch Xbox and get a gaming PC which is way better anyway with the exact same games plus a ton more.

Good luck finding a gaming rig at less than 1000 dollars

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This... is not good. Is this just for the XBox One, or is it for Series S/X as well?

Okay they're probably trying to move against everyone running emulators on their XBoxes because piracy or some crap, but surely there's some non-zero population of hobby devs using Dev Mode as intended? To play around with the hardware and console dev, regardless of whether or not they want to sell anything. I can imagine university game development classes would get great use out of a bunch of Series S as $300 devkits for projects that are never intended to be sold. Heck, that's why I want to get a Series S.

If I'm understanding this right, this new policy says people who buy Dev Mode access have 90 days, 3 months to build something and push it onto the store? That seems like an awfully short period of time to come up with a game idea, code it, polish it, go through all the steps developing a game, especially for one person who isn't doing game dev full time. Like you'd have to have most of your work done ahead of time and spend all of the time in Dev Mode doing XBox-specific tweaking. I can't imagine the deadline is good for creativity. Neither is the idea that your work has to go onto the store. Sometimes people just want to experiment and play around in private.

Dev Mode was good stuff, and I sure hope they go back on this, because otherwise I think it'll be useless to everyone except full-time devs. Which certainly seems to defeat the point of Dev Mode, opening up console dev to the masses.

throwaway1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This... is not good. Is this just for the XBox One, or is it for Series S/X as well?

Okay they're probably trying to move against everyone running emulators on their XBoxes because piracy or some crap, but surely there's some non-zero population of hobby devs using Dev Mode as intended? To play around with the hardware and console dev, regardless of whether or not they want to sell anything. I can imagine university game development classes would get great use out of a bunch of Series S as $300 devkits for projects that are never intended to be sold. Heck, that's why I want to get a Series S.

If I'm understanding this right, this new policy says people who buy Dev Mode access have 90 days, 3 months to build something and push it onto the store? That seems like an awfully short period of time to come up with a game idea, code it, polish it, go through all the steps developing a game, especially for one person who isn't doing game dev full time. Like you'd have to have most of your work done ahead of time and spend all of the time in Dev Mode doing XBox-specific tweaking. I can't imagine the deadline is good for creativity. Neither is the idea that your work has to go onto the store. Sometimes people just want to experiment and play around in private.

Dev Mode was good stuff, and I sure hope they go back on this, because otherwise I think it'll be useless to everyone except full-time devs. Which certainly seems to defeat the point of Dev Mode, opening up console dev to the masses.

I agree with everything in this post, and I'm one of those hobbyist devs who was using Dev Mode just to fiddle around with Unity. Their documentation makes it sound like Dev Mode is appropriate for hobbyist developers, and if these bans really are intended, then clearly that is not true. I filed a GitHub ticket for the "UWP on Xbox" documentation page pointing that out. (Unfortunately I can't post the link itself, since I just made this account.)

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

IIRC the dev account was intended for UWP apps on the MS Store.

You need a whole separate process/program to publish games on the Xbox, although obviously nothing was stopping people from doing this in dev mode and just reworking their efforts.

Funnily enough though, at least at the time, I got my dev account for free because I was a student.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The tots through Tine quotes are Napoleon. No free drinks and the big brown finger are Greasy...