Hacking Hardware MigSwitch, i just recieve my sample.

GolfDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another youituber who got it also said you cant merge dlc and updates with the xci, even if its one you dumped yourself, as the mig wont read it (it crashes).. it only will read clean xci dumps via the dumper or nxdumptool

Reactions: fvig2001

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
another youituber who got it also said you cant merge dlc and updates with the xci, even if its one you dumped yourself, as the mig wont read it (it crashes).. it only will read clean xci dumps via the dumper or nxdumptool

So, if someone can't even backup updates, that lowers the value a lot even for preservation.

Maybe someone could figure out how to jailbreak the cart xD.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if someone can't even backup updates, that lowers the value a lot even for preservation.

Maybe someone could figure out how to jailbreak the cart xD.

Eh this is likely more a restriction ultimately stemming from Nintendo. MiG needs the full security picture to fool them on an unmodified system. You make your own stuff you aren't going to have a valid cert.

We know who these guys are and they certainly do not give a fig about enforcing real backups for any ethical reason. I'm sure its a technical hurdle.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country

Once you've got the game showing on your home screen you can just download the update directly from Nintendo like you would any game which you own. It only lowers the value for preservation, but anybody who cares about preservation would likely be using a V1 or chipped Switch anyway

Reactions: anon730

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if anyone will end up making a custom firmware for this thing. It would be cool to see it modified to function like other multi cart switch games and have it automatically load/mount more than 1 game (like the metal gear solid collection does)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I wonder if anyone will end up making a custom firmware for this thing. It would be cool to see it modified to function like other multi cart switch games and have it automatically load/mount more than 1 game (like the metal gear solid collection does)
if it's get cracked open, maybe it's possible to do more stuff with it. But it's a big if. Even if the card itself can do it, but what security does Nintendo have?

Reactions: BigOnYa

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Once you've got the game showing on your home screen you can just download the update directly from Nintendo like you would any game which you own. It only lowers the value for preservation, but anybody who cares about preservation would likely be using a V1 or chipped Switch anyway

I tend to think in the long term, there's only a limited amount of v1 switches in the wild. I think the migswitch is nice in that sense when thinking about preservation later on, but without updates it just feels like not a lot of value on that side.

If somehow the community could figure a way to make it hold more than normal in xci files.. then it'd be more interesting xD.

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can say one thing console manufacturers have gotten right! Their use of HackerOne. Paid bounties I feel have totally changed the game for consoles. Yea these vulnerabilities are sometimes eventually made public but not until they are patched in a later firmware.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It will not play modified dumps on stock Switches period. It's the same story as Sky3DS. Every bit of the game dump is verified by hashes and signatures and they are all verified by HOS.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why SHOULD merging stuff with the XCI work? DLC and updates NEVER get installed to the cart. It simply doesn't work that way. These are made to run on unmodified consoles. But you should be able to download the updates, no problem. Of course while unmodded, you'll have to buy the DLC...

Reactions: anon730

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Why SHOULD merging stuff with the XCI work? DLC and updates NEVER get installed to the cart. It simply doesn't work that way. These are made to run on unmodified consoles.
Because it's possible with custom xci. If this is possible on an unmodified switch it's a golden tool.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it's possible with custom xci. If this is possible on an unmodified switch it's a golden tool.
The whole point is that this is for unmodified switches. There are no sigpatches, and HOS is always going to check the SD for the updates/DLC in that case.

But I haven't read the whole 10 pages of this thread. I'm assuming that someone tried with CFW and a modified XCI wouldn't work.(?).

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why SHOULD merging stuff with the XCI work? DLC and updates NEVER get installed to the cart. It simply doesn't work that way. These are made to run on unmodified consoles. But you should be able to download the updates, no problem. Of course while unmodded, you'll have to buy the DLC...
Some official carts especially in later revisions have the update already on cart like Mario Kart 8 (one of the rare cases that has DLC as well on official carts) so .xci files with multiple things isn't unprecedented. See: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...hysical-release-in-japan-includes-a-game-card

But most games don't have updates or DLC on cart and you can't make your own properly signed .xci with DLC and updates unless they are on cart. So yeah this thing is questionable.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
A Physical Cartridge CAN (as possibility) contain game updates, game DLC and console firmware updates.

The problem is if you change the content of a XCI YOU MUST TO SIGN the new XCI using a valid certificate and that certificate can ONLY be created by the original Certificate Authority and that one is owned by big N and no body will be able to create a new certificate beside they.

Doctorbeefy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that has to be legit. now people can dissect and figure out how much it costs them to make it. probably about 10 bucks or so idk :)
1705934381230.png

This one is legit as well!

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some official carts especially in later revisions have the update already on cart like Mario Kart 8 (one of the rare cases that has DLC as well on official carts) so .xci files with multiple things isn't unprecedented. See: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...hysical-release-in-japan-includes-a-game-card

But most games don't have updates or DLC on cart and you can't make your own properly signed .xci with DLC and updates unless they are on cart. So yeah this thing is questionable.
My limited run “rain on your parade” which is an eshop only game, as well as “kingdom two crowns” these two games both have all their dlc bundled into their carts as well

So I wouldn’t say this is a rare instance at all

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER