PS1/2 Modded PS2

kingeightsix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i really don't know if you guys have chinatowns... but in toronto (canada, eh)... we've got a chinatown... some white dude chops copies of ps2 games & if you tell him you need a mod, you send him your ps2 and you pick it up the next day... that's the only way i know how to do it... or we can go to this chinese mall where they have chinese dudes that do it on the spot... but the chinese mall is about 30 mins drive and i'm lazy as fuck.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I once wanted my Xbox to be chipped so I went to my friend who was knowledgable in this but refered me to this guy who chips them.... and it turns out he only lived literally 5 minutes away from me. He refuses to chip PS2s even if I provide the chip and instructions. Sorry I can't help more.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
You'll have to define what you mean by "best". Is "best" a compromise between price and efficiency?
- If you're looking for a cheap solution, you might want to go for a magic swap thingy (+ possibly a replacement shell). This works pretty well except you have to patch some games to get them to work.
- If you dont mind the price, the HD Loader is cool. You get to boot games from a HDD. It's great, fast load times, doesn't damage your PS2 lens, but a few games aren't compatible. Oh well.
- If you have the opportunity, get it modded. In france I got it done for 80€. I gave the shop my PS2, they gave it back to me the day after and all was done perfectly. You can also mod it yourself, that'd be the best way!

Samutz

OP
Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I live in the middle of no where though. No major cities nearby. So I'm looking for someplace online that might sell them pre-modded (besides eBay if there are any better options).

Edit: HD Loader is looking like a good option.
Edit: Nevermind. I'm reading that HD Loader doesn't work with backups.
unsure.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
wtf.gif
wtf.gif
wtf.gif
That weird, because the HDloader is only made to run backups. I had one, you put a PS2 game in, load it to your hard drive, and play it without the disc. Or download it off internet, and upload it to your hard drive.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can put HDLoader on the memory card, but its having the equipment to do it. Then you use a ps1 game to boot up the exploit and can then install games on your harddrive. On the newest version of HDLoader you can fit drives over 120gb and it has more options to get more games to work. You can also FTP games over to the harddrive.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Now, question, do you already have a PS2? Cause if not, then you're opened up to get either the PS2 Fat, or PS2 slim. The fat has the option for an internal HDD and that, by far, seems to be the best way to run backups from HDD (vs the USB external method for the slim model).

The method I chose, due to the fact I already have a slim model, was swap magic and the magic tools.
smile.gif

iori-kyo-k

Trophies
Website
www.jeux-france.com
XP
Country
France
Got a HDLoader myself and hell yeah it runs backup directly from the HDD in your PS2. I can't see what's the point if it could not anyway.

For 100% compatibility it is better to get HDLoader and a Swap Magic solution in case some games don't work on your HDL. Here's some compatibility list : http://list.ps2hd.com/

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
You'll have to define what you mean by "best". Is "best" a compromise between price and efficiency?
- If you're looking for a cheap solution, you might want to go for a magic swap thingy (+ possibly a replacement shell). This works pretty well except you have to patch some games to get them to work.

im thinking about getting a swapmagic, ive heard about having to patch certain games and i was wondering, where do you get the patch? and how do you patch them?
Im assumin that ur just burning PS2 iso's to a dvd?

mr_blonde_88

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
I also would like to know about the patches. And, where is the best place to buy Swap Magic and what is the magic tools? I also saw multiple version of it, which one is the best?

well the newest version of SwapMagic is 3.6 i believe

and heres a good place http://www.swapmagic4.co.uk/ if you live in the uk, not too sure about US or Canada im afraid

Samutz

OP
Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
HD Loader will work with backups? I read some FAQ that said it only copies original PS2 games and not burned games.

I'm looking mainly to play backups copied from friends.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I forgot where I got mine honestly, sorry. The Magic Tools come with it. I haven't encountered a single game that needed to be patched. As far as I'm aware, only the DVD9 games require it (God of War, Gran Turismo 4 for example.)

mr_blonde_88

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
I forgot where I got mine honestly, sorry. The Magic Tools come with it. I haven't encountered a single game that needed to be patched. As far as I'm aware, only the DVD9 games require it (God of War, Gran Turismo 4 for example.)

ahh kwwll, do you have these games?
i was gunna ask somethin else then, but ive forgotten
god dam it

ohh yeah
online play, is it a yay or nay?

mr_blonde_88

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
At the moment it's nay, but someone is working on a disc you can use with the Swap Magic to play online anyway.

so, what? youd whack swap magic in, then this new disc, then your game?

i heard its somethin to do with a code on the game, and when a game is ripped and burnd the code is no longer there

how do you tell the diff between DVD9 & DVD5 (is it 5?) games?

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Off topic but since the PS3 is out and there's still boat loads of PS2 games I downloaded but still haven't completed I think I'll try the mod chip. Yes, I got the swap magic for the Slimline PStwo but I'm sick of having to exchange the discs when I could just pop in a copy and off I play. How advanced a soldering skill do you have to have to fit a chip in a PStwo?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: