Status
Not open for further replies.

Annieone23

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all! I am a HUGE GBATemp fan. I may not post much, but I lurk like crazy. On here every day, reading all the threads, for years now. Hope I don't offend anyone (too much) by posting this but... the moderator Guild McCommunist is a troll with a capital T. People are entitled to their opinion, just like I am to this one, but when it comes to her/his posts they are 90% of the time hate-mongering, member-bashing, and insipid anti-Nintendo posts.

People with all opinions, be it those who feel Nintendo has lost themselves amongst the crowd and those who adore Nintendo to this day or even the screwball Sony fanboy or Microsoft diehard, are welcome at GBAtemp. That much is agreed upon. Yet to claim that GBAtemp is not primarily a Nintendo-centric website, whose very roots arose out of (illegal) GBA rom sharing, would be ludicrous. That is also certain.

So everybody agrees this is a pro-Nintendo website, which aims to allow for civil fanboy's from other teams. So why do we have such an outspoken and ornery member of GBAtemp moderating important sections of the forum? It is one thing to have an opinion, but Guild McCommunist not only often inserts her/his opinion forcibly and unwarrantably into conversations, but said opinion touts an anti-Nintendo rhetoric. I feel like some potential discussion should be had, both behind closed doors and out in the forum as to Guild McCommunist's importance and affect within the community.

Putting aside his/her seemingly anti-Nintendo sentiments, his/her delivery of those opinions is imho detrimental to the community as a whole. Even if you think s/he is in the right, you cannot approve of the way she disregards and insults fellow forum users for their pro-Nintendo beliefs. Normally this would just constitute simple forum trolling, but I believe in this instance it goes beyond that. Guild is a forum moderator, s/he has a designated title, logo, and all the powers her/his status confer to him/her. S/he is a representative of GBAtemp. His/her opinions reflect upon GBAtemp, in a good or bad way. If other forum members see that the leaders of the site have such vitriolic opinions, than they will assume that is what this forum wants. People who love and adore Nintendo, who will camp out all night for the Wii U and salivate over the thought of a new LoZ, will be recalcitrant to post. People who see this forum bullying as par-the-course on GBAtemp and anti-Nintendo sentiments as approved of will be more encouraged to post. This not only creates, in my opinion, a more harmful environment but also changes GBAtemps dynamic. GBAtemp is always growing it seems, and always embracing new members/consoles/companies, but I don't think anyone of the old members wants to see this haven of Nintendo gaming and console discussion turn away from the company and products they love. Lets embrace the new, but not dilute our past! Guild is a harmful weed within the overall GBAtemp landscape, a troll whose bullying grows stronger and unfortunately legitimate due to his/her status on this site.

I understand that forum moderation is not only a thankless job, but an unpaid one at that. A job with potentially countless hours of work, and little to no reward. I understand that and I appreciate all the effort that goes into keeping GBAtemp humming. Thank you all!

That does not mean though that I will keep quiet about my opinion, or that I should. Just because Guild is a volunteer does not afford him/her the right to be abusive. No matter how passive-aggressive said abuse it. I want GBAtemp to grow, to flourish, and to always remain the bastion of questionable but knowledgeable Nintendo gaming that it has been and should continue to be. If this website dilutes too much, what would differentiate it from the countless other bland gaming blogs/forums out there? That hasn't happened yet, and probably won't happen, but it is still important food for thought as this site moves forward.

I don't particularly know what should ultimately be done about Guild's actions. I personally would not be remiss if I never saw him/her again on this forum, but that could be just me. I do think that, if they stay here as a moderator, Guild's outspoken nature should be curtailed. Maybe s/he is a great behind the scenes moderator, I don't know. But do we need an emissary of GBAtemp being on the frontlines with our members and insulting/bashing said members? I hardly think so. It not only lessens my opinion of Guild to see such actions, but my opinion of GBAtemp as a whole. Why would they not only allow this to continue, but seemingly reward it with important GBAtemp powers/status?

Ultimately, I think Guild is just downright rude, and seemingly oppressive of other members opinions. Especially pro-Nintendo opinions, on a website founded because of Nintendo and about Nintendo Co. and its products.

Hopefully this reaches the right audience, and hopefully I don't get too much flak for this. I love GBAtemp, very dearly. Note how I did not mention any specific examples by the way, and in fact I have never even commented to Guild or possibly even in the same thread as him/her afaik. This post was not born out of revenge or anything like that, it was born out of continued and annoyed disgust at his/her actions.

If I am correct I do not need to cite examples in this case. Maybe I am wrong, but I believe that this is not the first time Guild's actions have been brought to the moderators/sites attention. Frequent visitors to this site know what I am talking about, and I don't think I am at all alone with my opinion here. That being said, what must it take for action to be taken? How many complaints?

Does Guild's usefulness outstrip his/her polarizing and aggressive personality?

Annieone23
A concerned lurker/member.

EDIT: Guild isn't a mod, but a reporter. My point didn't relate to Moderation abuse, just the seeming approval of his/her actions as a member of the staff, no matter how minor. As far as the average user is concerned the GBAtemp hierarchy is a tad messy, not that it matters if it works.

Also feel free to disagree, I won't take it personally, nor should I. I just wanted to throw in my publicly discussable two cents, wanted or not.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get butthurt over me saying "Nintendo is for kids lol" when I'm quite clearly joking (as those who get my humor obviously see) then it's your own fault. It's video games, I'm not calling you a racial slur.

And don't turn this into another goddamn "FURRIES ARE PROSECUTED" thread because quite honestly no one gives a single shit.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you get butthurt over me saying "Nintendo is for kids lol" when I'm quite clearly joking (as those who get my humor obviously see) then it's your own fault. It's video games, I'm not calling you a racial slur.

And don't turn this into another goddamn "FURRIES ARE PROSECUTED" thread because quite honestly no one gives a single shit.

You mean persecuted right?

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
What fun is a staff member who's completely blank?
Dudes a reporter, its his role to throw his opinion in gaming related discussion :lol:
Coloured name or not, everyone has the right to express their opinion freely as long as its not personally offensive.
Guilds passion is his charm and what makes him Guild. Its more that people see when he has nintendo related discussions more than any posts. He has sooo many posts, yet everyone only sees the nin-sony arguement ones. its quite funny.
People can express their opinions all they want, no one is stopping them and alot of people here do in a normal civil manner but when it comes to just plain trolling and bashing for the "fun" of it outside of the EoF then thats just being an ass and is no longer about expressing opinions.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People can express their opinions all they want, no one is stopping them and alot of people here do in a normal civil manner but when it comes to just plain trolling and bashing for the "fun" of it outside of the EoF then thats just being an ass and is no longer about expressing opinions.

By the way if you think I'm spewing "anti-Asian drivel" on this forum then you can honestly go fuck off. I rarely become so strong worded as I am about to be right now but you can call me a Sony fanboy, Nintendo hater, ass troll, whatever, but you cross the goddamn line when you call me racist.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If you see guys like him it'd be healthier to just ignore them. Maybe they're "like that because of his/her attitude/optinions rulz" but that is different from bashing, trolling, or even further psychological bashing. But this is just internet, so ignore guys like this.

Thank god there are other staff people much more polite and that's ALWAYS welcome. (ie: raulpica). Be polite, when you have to, guys.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you see guys like him it'd be healthier to just ignore them. Maybe they're "like that because of his/her attitude/optinions rulz" but that is different from bashing, trolling, or even further psychological bashing. But this is just internet, so ignore guys like this.

Thank god there are other staff people much more polite and that's ALWAYS welcome. (ie: raulpica). Be polite, when you have to, guys.

In the case of raul, he's too welcoming, if you know what I mean.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
mmm. I see your point. I just think sometimes its hard to express your opinion without sounding like an ass to some. I have that problem all the time. Can't please everyone, but yes there is a line we all cross when we realize what we are doing may be ass-worthy. And when I cross that line, I make amends. For some, its getting to the line before they can amend it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Jokes about nintendo and sony get thrown around in good humor all the time, but users like you sometimes go too far under the guise of doing that (the "Virgincraft" thread being an obvious attack).

I was using that link as a rare example of staff behavior that hadn't been completely wiped yet... and seeing as you were trolling furry stuff just yesterday (the mentioned incident TwinRetro took care of), it was rather on-topic to your behavior.

EDIT: BBcode fixed.
EDIT2: BBcode fixed again, the forum software stuck another tag in there when I screwed up the first time... and another example listed.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Additionally if people really see my behavior as "approved by the staff" then lets remember we unbanned Valwin who got banned across multiple accounts for trolling. If the staff "allowing" my behavior is suddenly a bridge too far then you're looking at the wrong fucking bridges.

Reactions: ProtoKun7

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country

I'm sure that those who bring this up do ignore these people. I do but I think its because its possible soon you can't ignore them because they're "staff" and they use that title to be able to troll, bash etc others in full knowledge that they won't be able to ignore it.

mmm. I see your point. I just think sometimes its hard to express your opinion without sounding like an ass to some. I have that problem all the time. Can't please everyone, but yes there is a line we all cross when we realize what we are doing may be ass-worthy. And when I cross that line, I make amends. For some, its getting to the line before they can amend it.
I understand that its difficult but i'm sure we all know where the line is and try very hard to not cross it in the first place and when we do its unintentional and we have all been there but the problem isn't people crossing by mistake and making amends later or doing their best to not cross it but crossing on purpose and then saying that "your opinion is shit" or similar stuff, its because I don't troll that its hard to think of examples.

I'm not directing this at you personally, just thought I let you know.

Reactions: Annieone23

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that its difficult but i'm sure we all know where the line is and try very hard to not cross it in the first place and when we do its unintentional and we have all been there but the problem isn't people crossing by mistake and making amends later or doing their best to not cross it but crossing on purpose and then saying that "your opinion is shit" or similar stuff, its because I don't troll that its hard to think of examples.

I'm not directing this at you personally, just thought I let you know.
Seems fair, and I'll end here.

VinvinMario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I ever see on USN is people bashing people. That and GOTC used to be my favourite section of the GBAtemp.

This is my post after weeks. That says it all. The forums don't interest me anymore. I just login here to find any news on hacking consoles/handhelds in general. Leech and leave. :)

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also sorry if it sounds like i'm arguing, my phrasing might also be a bit off since i'm replying to several topics at once.
No probs I know that feel.
By the way, someone mentioned warn bars in this thread. Do we still have those or will they bring them back? o.O

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
i havent seen any of the so called offensive material but i can guarantee you it cant be no worse than wot i was like when i was one of the head moderators here lol
running a site like this isnt exactly easy at times and sometimes you need someone who will not take shit and when summet needs doing it gets done
You mean like.. Luse, Ruth and Puck the Joker? ;) I kinda miss them...

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I personally love the guy. Trust me, I deal with more shit from some of the people who complain about him than I do him, and I am notably not exempt from his shit.

The report button is right down there v and we read every one of 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow