Status
Not open for further replies.

Annieone23

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all! I am a HUGE GBATemp fan. I may not post much, but I lurk like crazy. On here every day, reading all the threads, for years now. Hope I don't offend anyone (too much) by posting this but... the moderator Guild McCommunist is a troll with a capital T. People are entitled to their opinion, just like I am to this one, but when it comes to her/his posts they are 90% of the time hate-mongering, member-bashing, and insipid anti-Nintendo posts.

People with all opinions, be it those who feel Nintendo has lost themselves amongst the crowd and those who adore Nintendo to this day or even the screwball Sony fanboy or Microsoft diehard, are welcome at GBAtemp. That much is agreed upon. Yet to claim that GBAtemp is not primarily a Nintendo-centric website, whose very roots arose out of (illegal) GBA rom sharing, would be ludicrous. That is also certain.

So everybody agrees this is a pro-Nintendo website, which aims to allow for civil fanboy's from other teams. So why do we have such an outspoken and ornery member of GBAtemp moderating important sections of the forum? It is one thing to have an opinion, but Guild McCommunist not only often inserts her/his opinion forcibly and unwarrantably into conversations, but said opinion touts an anti-Nintendo rhetoric. I feel like some potential discussion should be had, both behind closed doors and out in the forum as to Guild McCommunist's importance and affect within the community.

Putting aside his/her seemingly anti-Nintendo sentiments, his/her delivery of those opinions is imho detrimental to the community as a whole. Even if you think s/he is in the right, you cannot approve of the way she disregards and insults fellow forum users for their pro-Nintendo beliefs. Normally this would just constitute simple forum trolling, but I believe in this instance it goes beyond that. Guild is a forum moderator, s/he has a designated title, logo, and all the powers her/his status confer to him/her. S/he is a representative of GBAtemp. His/her opinions reflect upon GBAtemp, in a good or bad way. If other forum members see that the leaders of the site have such vitriolic opinions, than they will assume that is what this forum wants. People who love and adore Nintendo, who will camp out all night for the Wii U and salivate over the thought of a new LoZ, will be recalcitrant to post. People who see this forum bullying as par-the-course on GBAtemp and anti-Nintendo sentiments as approved of will be more encouraged to post. This not only creates, in my opinion, a more harmful environment but also changes GBAtemps dynamic. GBAtemp is always growing it seems, and always embracing new members/consoles/companies, but I don't think anyone of the old members wants to see this haven of Nintendo gaming and console discussion turn away from the company and products they love. Lets embrace the new, but not dilute our past! Guild is a harmful weed within the overall GBAtemp landscape, a troll whose bullying grows stronger and unfortunately legitimate due to his/her status on this site.

I understand that forum moderation is not only a thankless job, but an unpaid one at that. A job with potentially countless hours of work, and little to no reward. I understand that and I appreciate all the effort that goes into keeping GBAtemp humming. Thank you all!

That does not mean though that I will keep quiet about my opinion, or that I should. Just because Guild is a volunteer does not afford him/her the right to be abusive. No matter how passive-aggressive said abuse it. I want GBAtemp to grow, to flourish, and to always remain the bastion of questionable but knowledgeable Nintendo gaming that it has been and should continue to be. If this website dilutes too much, what would differentiate it from the countless other bland gaming blogs/forums out there? That hasn't happened yet, and probably won't happen, but it is still important food for thought as this site moves forward.

I don't particularly know what should ultimately be done about Guild's actions. I personally would not be remiss if I never saw him/her again on this forum, but that could be just me. I do think that, if they stay here as a moderator, Guild's outspoken nature should be curtailed. Maybe s/he is a great behind the scenes moderator, I don't know. But do we need an emissary of GBAtemp being on the frontlines with our members and insulting/bashing said members? I hardly think so. It not only lessens my opinion of Guild to see such actions, but my opinion of GBAtemp as a whole. Why would they not only allow this to continue, but seemingly reward it with important GBAtemp powers/status?

Ultimately, I think Guild is just downright rude, and seemingly oppressive of other members opinions. Especially pro-Nintendo opinions, on a website founded because of Nintendo and about Nintendo Co. and its products.

Hopefully this reaches the right audience, and hopefully I don't get too much flak for this. I love GBAtemp, very dearly. Note how I did not mention any specific examples by the way, and in fact I have never even commented to Guild or possibly even in the same thread as him/her afaik. This post was not born out of revenge or anything like that, it was born out of continued and annoyed disgust at his/her actions.

If I am correct I do not need to cite examples in this case. Maybe I am wrong, but I believe that this is not the first time Guild's actions have been brought to the moderators/sites attention. Frequent visitors to this site know what I am talking about, and I don't think I am at all alone with my opinion here. That being said, what must it take for action to be taken? How many complaints?

Does Guild's usefulness outstrip his/her polarizing and aggressive personality?

Annieone23
A concerned lurker/member.

EDIT: Guild isn't a mod, but a reporter. My point didn't relate to Moderation abuse, just the seeming approval of his/her actions as a member of the staff, no matter how minor. As far as the average user is concerned the GBAtemp hierarchy is a tad messy, not that it matters if it works.

Also feel free to disagree, I won't take it personally, nor should I. I just wanted to throw in my publicly discussable two cents, wanted or not.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guild goes overboard sometimes, but he's not a bad guy overall. Though he does enjoy a little too much, shitting on threads about things he has absolutely no interest in. Which is kind of annoying.
But who the hell am I to talk, i'm not exactly nice either.

There are far worse Bradxz members out there that are still around, I don't really see any reason to specifically pick on Guild.

Oh and I feel obligated to say, I laugh every time Guild is mentioned as being 'staff' just because he just has a reporter title.
e7e.png

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Just because one member got his jimmies rustled because I say a few things about Nintendo doesn't constitute that there's a site-wide issue or that the staff here are secretly giving me doggy treats for mauling members like a goddamn attack dog. Staff know what's right and wrong on GBAtemp, that's why they're staff. If you did the same, you'd be staff. Blunt but honest.
I've turned down a higher staff position before, and I stepped down from mag staff manually due to a lack of time.

But oh well, if staff is going to protect your trolling I guess there's not shit I can do to change it.

Oh and I feel obligated to say, I laugh every time Guild is mentioned as being 'staff' just because he just has a reporter title.
He's also immune to warns and has access to warn logs (at least, the second was true when I was mag staff on the old section).

Reactions: Annieone23

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Something I deal with a lot on this forum is tempers (oh, that's a bad pun.) Some people are great members and help the site a lot, but they can be poked into a tantrum without much effort. Some members love to poke, and poke, and poke, so that an ordinarily mostly civil member gets their dander up and BECOMES a problem. This is happening right now, in this very thread.

Rydian, your complaint has been duly noted, even though you're not the OP, you've been quite vocal, and I think you've more than made your point. Guild, don't get your jimmies rustled, yes you are being attacked, but just let it lay, because the problem here, as usual is escalation.

Escalation pisses me off.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've turned down a higher staff position before, and I stepped down from mag staff manually due to a lack of time.

But oh well, if staff is going to protect your trolling I guess there's not shit I can do to change it.
Unless you re-consider turning down the position.
-Im not getting involved, just throwing that out there,

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

He's also immune to warns and has access to warn logs (at least, the second was true when I was mag staff on the old section).

I don't have access to warn logs and no Mag Staffers have for a good long time. The new forum does put a "warn" option in news forums but I don't use it.

Pretty much the only things my position grants me access to post front page news and moderate news forums. But I don't moderate because I realize that my job isn't to moderate. Quite honestly the only thing that would really change with a removal of my position would be less news posted on the front page because that's literally all I do with it.

Also I'll restrain myself from posting exactly why you left the forum because that's a staff matter.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last time I checked, people who write front page news for a site are staff. Weren't reporters once called Magazine Staff?

I've been on this site for...a while. I think i've read one front page news thing...like, last week...by accident. I was bored.

Anyway, if it can't ban me or delete my shit, it ain't a staff member. Not to me anyway. Das just my opinion.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been on this site for...a while. I think i've read one front page news thing...like, last week...by accident. I was bored.

Anyway, if it can't ban me or delete my shit, it ain't a staff member. Not to me anyway. Das just my opinion.

It's not an opinion, it's fact. I'm not staff, I will say that multiple times. I don't perform staff roles, I perform Reporter roles. I don't remove your posts unless it's necessity (like a spambot or a warez link), I don't give you warns, I don't lock threads (unless they're duplicate threads).

Even if I'm staff I don't perform staff roles. If you're going to paint me as a power abuser you could at least get some facts. But if you did that you'd realize I'm not. Even on the times where some of my "moderation" has seemed "questionable" (such as locking a slew of threads for copy/pasting news articles), its been reinforced. In all honesty the only recent blunder I made was saying no Wii U rumors in the USN but I felt that it was honestly misunderstood as some type of anti-Nintendo thing and not just as crowd control for the amount of bogus and unfounded "news" we were posting.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Rydian, your complaint has been duly noted, even though you're not the OP, you've been quite vocal, and I think you've more than made your point.
Yeah, I'm shutting up now, figured I've posted enough about it.

Also I'll restrain myself from posting exactly why you left the forum because that's a staff matter.
People who care likely already know about it since I posted publicly and all that jazz anyways. I was mainly referring to why I decided to not be mag staff once the issue quieted down (since my initial request you're talking about was turned down so that I could take part in the discussion, since removing me would stop my ability to post/read it).

Reactions: Annieone23

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say I've ever found myself taking Guild seriously. We've disagreed on an innumerable amount of topics over the past couple of years, hell, I think he's a dick. But...I'm a dick too. As are Hells Malice, emigre, machomuu, dickfour, ping, Rydian, Phoenix Goddess (okay, not really), Valwin, Devin, machomuu, Valwin, Bortz, DinohScene, AlanJohn, Gahars, Fear Zoa, machomuu, about 120.000 more members, and Valwin...

What's really disturbing to me is the fact that anyone takes anyone on the internet seriously enough that their mood can be affected IRL...

It's also disturbing to me that Rydian chose to address items that were previously addressed once the "opportunity" arose to attack the staff...

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^EDIT: Don't call me a dick, you dick.

I'll just throw this out here, and say Guild is Guild. I questioned a actual Moderator's position before (p1ngpong) but once I've read some of his posts elsewhere I can really see why he was choosen. However this is about Guild. If Guild posts the news, and throws in a little bit of bias without affecting the news then he's fine. Moderators, and Staff are chosen because they are believe to be the best people for the job. Whether or not people are deemed actual "Staff" is IMO based on power. Myself for instance, I write reviews and such on the Temp. That in no way I suppose helps the Temp directly, besides giving people something to read or a reason to come here I suppose. But Reporters report news, get things on the homepage where all members and guests alike will see it. So I consider everything above reviewers,(Well not 100% accurate because reviewers besides myself are ex-Staff and they have some powers left to them.) to be Staff.

Guild may be a troll, a somewhat funny one at that. But he's our troll.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't say I've ever found myself taking Guild seriously. We've disagreed on an innumerable amount of topics over the past couple of years, hell, I think he's a dick. But...I'm a dick too. As are Hells Malice, emigre, machomuu, dickfour, ping, Rydian, Phoenix Goddess (okay, not really), Valwin, Devin, machomuu, Valwin, Bortz, DinohScene, AlanJohn, Gahars, Fear Zoa, machomuu, about 120.000 more members, and Valwin...

I suggest we ban all of them and create a more harmonious forum.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, we'll just go join DS scene like all the other GBAtemp rejects.

Or create Guildtemp, which would be like GBAtemp but ruled by my iron fist.

Although if this thread is true then GBAtemp is already ruled by my iron fist.

Either way someone gets fisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ