Status
Not open for further replies.

Annieone23

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all! I am a HUGE GBATemp fan. I may not post much, but I lurk like crazy. On here every day, reading all the threads, for years now. Hope I don't offend anyone (too much) by posting this but... the moderator Guild McCommunist is a troll with a capital T. People are entitled to their opinion, just like I am to this one, but when it comes to her/his posts they are 90% of the time hate-mongering, member-bashing, and insipid anti-Nintendo posts.

People with all opinions, be it those who feel Nintendo has lost themselves amongst the crowd and those who adore Nintendo to this day or even the screwball Sony fanboy or Microsoft diehard, are welcome at GBAtemp. That much is agreed upon. Yet to claim that GBAtemp is not primarily a Nintendo-centric website, whose very roots arose out of (illegal) GBA rom sharing, would be ludicrous. That is also certain.

So everybody agrees this is a pro-Nintendo website, which aims to allow for civil fanboy's from other teams. So why do we have such an outspoken and ornery member of GBAtemp moderating important sections of the forum? It is one thing to have an opinion, but Guild McCommunist not only often inserts her/his opinion forcibly and unwarrantably into conversations, but said opinion touts an anti-Nintendo rhetoric. I feel like some potential discussion should be had, both behind closed doors and out in the forum as to Guild McCommunist's importance and affect within the community.

Putting aside his/her seemingly anti-Nintendo sentiments, his/her delivery of those opinions is imho detrimental to the community as a whole. Even if you think s/he is in the right, you cannot approve of the way she disregards and insults fellow forum users for their pro-Nintendo beliefs. Normally this would just constitute simple forum trolling, but I believe in this instance it goes beyond that. Guild is a forum moderator, s/he has a designated title, logo, and all the powers her/his status confer to him/her. S/he is a representative of GBAtemp. His/her opinions reflect upon GBAtemp, in a good or bad way. If other forum members see that the leaders of the site have such vitriolic opinions, than they will assume that is what this forum wants. People who love and adore Nintendo, who will camp out all night for the Wii U and salivate over the thought of a new LoZ, will be recalcitrant to post. People who see this forum bullying as par-the-course on GBAtemp and anti-Nintendo sentiments as approved of will be more encouraged to post. This not only creates, in my opinion, a more harmful environment but also changes GBAtemps dynamic. GBAtemp is always growing it seems, and always embracing new members/consoles/companies, but I don't think anyone of the old members wants to see this haven of Nintendo gaming and console discussion turn away from the company and products they love. Lets embrace the new, but not dilute our past! Guild is a harmful weed within the overall GBAtemp landscape, a troll whose bullying grows stronger and unfortunately legitimate due to his/her status on this site.

I understand that forum moderation is not only a thankless job, but an unpaid one at that. A job with potentially countless hours of work, and little to no reward. I understand that and I appreciate all the effort that goes into keeping GBAtemp humming. Thank you all!

That does not mean though that I will keep quiet about my opinion, or that I should. Just because Guild is a volunteer does not afford him/her the right to be abusive. No matter how passive-aggressive said abuse it. I want GBAtemp to grow, to flourish, and to always remain the bastion of questionable but knowledgeable Nintendo gaming that it has been and should continue to be. If this website dilutes too much, what would differentiate it from the countless other bland gaming blogs/forums out there? That hasn't happened yet, and probably won't happen, but it is still important food for thought as this site moves forward.

I don't particularly know what should ultimately be done about Guild's actions. I personally would not be remiss if I never saw him/her again on this forum, but that could be just me. I do think that, if they stay here as a moderator, Guild's outspoken nature should be curtailed. Maybe s/he is a great behind the scenes moderator, I don't know. But do we need an emissary of GBAtemp being on the frontlines with our members and insulting/bashing said members? I hardly think so. It not only lessens my opinion of Guild to see such actions, but my opinion of GBAtemp as a whole. Why would they not only allow this to continue, but seemingly reward it with important GBAtemp powers/status?

Ultimately, I think Guild is just downright rude, and seemingly oppressive of other members opinions. Especially pro-Nintendo opinions, on a website founded because of Nintendo and about Nintendo Co. and its products.

Hopefully this reaches the right audience, and hopefully I don't get too much flak for this. I love GBAtemp, very dearly. Note how I did not mention any specific examples by the way, and in fact I have never even commented to Guild or possibly even in the same thread as him/her afaik. This post was not born out of revenge or anything like that, it was born out of continued and annoyed disgust at his/her actions.

If I am correct I do not need to cite examples in this case. Maybe I am wrong, but I believe that this is not the first time Guild's actions have been brought to the moderators/sites attention. Frequent visitors to this site know what I am talking about, and I don't think I am at all alone with my opinion here. That being said, what must it take for action to be taken? How many complaints?

Does Guild's usefulness outstrip his/her polarizing and aggressive personality?

Annieone23
A concerned lurker/member.

EDIT: Guild isn't a mod, but a reporter. My point didn't relate to Moderation abuse, just the seeming approval of his/her actions as a member of the staff, no matter how minor. As far as the average user is concerned the GBAtemp hierarchy is a tad messy, not that it matters if it works.

Also feel free to disagree, I won't take it personally, nor should I. I just wanted to throw in my publicly discussable two cents, wanted or not.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Asian =/= weaboo.

Guild hates weaboos. We all hate weaboos.

I don't hate weeaboos... Some of my best friends are weeaboos.
33m6iht.jpg

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Asian =/= weaboo.

Guild hates weaboos. We all hate weaboos.
Dude guild says i'm a weeaboo for liking Asian stuff over the westernised stuff when I said countless times that i'm Asian, more specificity Vietnamese and I never even saw Japanese culture better than my own Viet one, yet alot of these arguments revolve around me being bashed for liking Asian things cause i'm Asian in the first bloody place. I like to see some logic behind this.

Reactions: Annieone23

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I think he means how Guild usually dislike stuff like asian developers/anime/whatever...
But who cares, he isn't breaking any rules and he is allowed to express himself whether you agree with it or not. Seriously, people complaining about some of Guild's posts are coming off as even more annoying.
Personally I really don't see why people hate him so much because for every shit Guild post out there he always has like 10 good ones making up for it.
And I think that as a reporter he does a terrific job as he posts news relevant to the community's interest and not only his own as some people like to think. If he does his job well then why complain about his staff position?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I think he means how Guild usually dislike stuff like asian developers/anime/whatever...
But who cares, he isn't breaking any rules and he is allowed to express himself whether you agree with it or not. Seriously, people complaining about some of Guild's posts are coming off as even more annoying.
Personally I really don't see why people hate him so much because for every shit Guild post out there he always has like 10 good ones making up for it.
And I think that as a reporter he does a terrific job as he posts news relevant to the community's interest and not only his own as some people like to think. If he does his job well then why complain about his staff position?
You're likely not seeing a lot of his posts because they're being removed. As in, wiped from the thread, without a placeholder "this post was removed by a mod".

At least two staff members have posted in here that they're aware of his behavior, so there's stuff going on, it just usually gets removed from a thread quickly so it doesn't derail too hard.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude guild says i'm a weeaboo for liking Asian stuff over the westernised stuff when I said countless times that i'm Asian, more specificity Vietnamese and I never even saw Japanese culture better than my own Viet one, yet alot of these arguments revolve around me being bashed for liking Asian things cause i'm Asian in the first bloody place. I like to see some logic behind this.

I forgot that the entirety of Japanese culture consists of video games, anime, and J-Pop. It'd be so incredibly close minded of me to assume that it doesn't.

I call you a weaboo because I think you have a shit taste in games. If I call you a chink or some other ethnic slur then you can call me racist.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't care what he likes or not, its when he openly bash people for liking it which is a problem for me plus being constantly trolled for liking Asian things and called a weeaboo hardly makes sense in the first place when I constantly point out that I am from Asia.

The rest is usually posts in nintendo discussions although I gave up on those in the first place since soulx is much more of an ass than Guild when it comes to actual gaming discussions.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always had the impression that a "weeaboo" was someone who was obsessed with Japanese stuff who wasn't Japanese and preferred it to their own culture (and if you say you don't prefer it to your Vietnamese culture than fair enough though).

Guild calling you that isn't being racist though.

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care what he likes or not, its when he openly bash people for liking it which is a problem for me plus being constantly trolled for liking Asian things and called a weeaboo hardly makes sense in the first place when I constantly point out that I am from Asia.

Welp the race card got pulled looks like this argument lost credibility.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
I always had the impression that a "weeaboo" was someone who was obsessed with Japanese stuff who wasn't Japanese and preferred it to their own culture (and if you say you don't prefer it to your Vietnamese culture than fair enough though).

Guild calling you that isn't being racist though.
I never said being called a weeaboo was racist, I just said its starting to really piss me off since it feels like i'm being trolled just because i'm Asian in the first place since I always found my Viet and other Asian cultures to be better than the western one, not on topic but Viet food is awesome....

Ignorance is bliss, fellas
I can probably think of 10 situations that this will make things worse.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
You're likely not seeing a lot of his posts because they're being removed. As in, wiped from the thread, without a placeholder "this post was removed by a mod".

At least two staff members have posted in here that they're aware of his behavior, so there's stuff going on, it just usually gets removed from a thread quickly so it doesn't derail too hard.
I can only really comment on Guild while we still were on v3 as I haven't really been that active lately, so I'm basing what I know on that. Well hope he cools down then.

The rest is usually posts in nintendo discussions although I gave up on those in the first place since soulx is much more of an ass than Guild when it comes to actual gaming discussions.
Yeah he does that and I find it annoying too, I just wanted to point out that you didn't mean that Guild was being racist as Hadrian interpreted it as.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said being called a weeaboo was racist, I just said its starting to really piss me off since it feels like i'm being trolled just because i'm Asian in the first place since I always found my Viet and other Asian cultures to be better than the western one, not on topic but Viet food is awesome....

You don't know what the fuck racism is at all and I suggest you promptly leave this thread and hopefully this forum.

I know I'm being very abrasive here but I have zero tolerance to people openly bashing me and dubbing me "racist". You can call me a slew of other things but insulting my personal integrity is out of fucking bounds.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I must honestly say, that I think Guild has gotten better. I used to really dislike you (sorry) but lately I've felt that... most of the things that got on my nerves are gone. Sure sometimes you ignore stuff that isn't helping your case in a discussion, but everyone does that to some extent. No biggie.

But yeah, this has all gotten out of proportion. I've learned how Guild's humor works, I didn't know before, and now I can see the difference when he's dicking around and when he's being a dick.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just realised I misunderstood what weeaboo meant all these time..... O__O *awkward*

And LOL I remember which thread JAG is referring to but in Guild's defense, I didn't think of it as being racist. Sure they were strong opinions, and I too share JAG's interest in that game.... I think. :P

Darn I keep moving my mouse to the lower right corner whenever I wanna edit something. HAhahah the power of habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:unsure::unsure::D:D:wub::D:D