hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Revolutionize said:
Hah.

She is the legal guardian of the kids so she shouldn't say jack shit. She should have monitored what her kids were doing. The funny thing is, I've yet to see a case where someone got in trouble for minor downloading. Like downloading a few movies, games and music files, here and there. It's usually only uploading.

The article said she doesn't know much about computers. I have a lot more computer knowledge than my mom, and probably more than my dad by now.
That's her own fault for giving her kids access to equipment that she herself doesn't understand.

Maybe I should stop using Torrents...? But I only use Torrents because they are easier to use when downloading. For example, you won't have to download some things part by part unlike torrents where you can get the whole file.
Usenet/ftp both use protocols with secure potentiality; not to mention both are capable of maxing your downspeed from a sufficiently large pipe without having to rely on "peers."

Public p2p is insecure by design. Really should not ever be used to download files which could be construed as illegal by your respective legal authority.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Both of my parents are extremely computer illiterate - and it annoys me. My dad has a linux build, and my mother contantly gives herself viruses. Both of them won't know a public p2p app if it bit them on the nose. Seriously, they are making the mother a giant example - how can you monitor kid's access to a computer if you know NOTHING about computers.

Just proves that everyone should have to take a course on the basics of computing.

That said, I don't use bittorrent or anything else. I do direct downloads, although. It's really too hard to track down all the downloaders, but that's about it.

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a parent, you are responsible for your childrens actions until they become of age. Period.
That is why proper parenting is raising them so that they will make what you consider the proper decisions as they grow older.
Everyone is free to raise their kids as they see fit, after all they created them. so many shirk their responsibility in pursuit of hedonistic pleasures.

A newborn comes into the world as a blank slate, with no preconceived notions or ideas. It is the responsibility to raise that child, ensure that he/she has enough of an education to be a productive member of society, ensure that they have enough wisdom to tell right from wrong, and the moral fiber to act accordingly.

This mother either shirked her responsibilities to nurture and teach her children or failed in her attempt to instill respect in her offspring. Respect for the hard work and resulting intellectual property of others. Her child or children doing the file sharing were selfish and either did not consider nor care about the consequenses of their actions.

This mother is claiming innocence of her childrens actions. Is that a valid excuse?

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Whipple said:
As a parent, you are responsible for your childrens actions until they become of age. Period.
That is why proper parenting is raising them so that they will make what you consider the proper decisions as they grow older.
Everyone is free to raise their kids as they see fit, after all they created them. so many shirk their responsibility in pursuit of hedonistic pleasures.

A newborn comes into the world as a blank slate, with no preconceived notions or ideas. It is the responsibility to raise that child, ensure that he/she has enough of an education to be a productive member of society, ensure that they have enough wisdom to tell right from wrong, and the moral fiber to act accordingly.

This mother either shirked her responsibilities to nurture and teach her children or failed in her attempt to instill respect in her offspring. Respect for the hard work and resulting intellectual property of others. Her child or children doing the file sharing were selfish and either did not consider nor care about the consequenses of their actions.

This mother is claiming innocence of her childrens actions. Is that a valid excuse?

I agree that as parents; they are responsible for the growth and care of their children. The point here is that education is the key here. She probably has no idea what the kids were up to! I know that if I set up bittorrent when I was still at home, my mother won't have a clue, even if she were staring straight at the screen. Would the record companies have had such an outcry if she did it herself?

It seems like she was punished for merely being female and merely not understanding technology.

Really, it seems like the companies who instigated this are just saying: "Let's make her a martyr, it would be easier than going and trying to punish the actual people who do this as a living!"

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
astrangeone said:
Really, it seems like the companies who instigated this are just saying: "Let's make her a martyr, it would be easier than going and trying to punish the actual people who do this as a living!"
It's the fear factor.

Every time they get one of these stories into the news, some amount of people stop pirating (or at least that's their reasoning I'm sure). The less technologically literate the reader is, the more susceptible they are to FUD. With this particular story they are trying to convince parents to become more educated and act more vigilantly in preventing it.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
astrangeone said:
It's the fear factor.

Every time they get one of these stories into the news, some amount of people stop pirating (or at least that's their reasoning I'm sure). The less technologically literate the reader is, the more susceptible they are to FUD. With this particular story they are trying to convince parents to become more educated and act more vigilantly in preventing it.

Very true. It makes people afraid and more easy to manipulate - seriously. It makes me afraid for the music industry although - most of these record companies are busy filing lawsuits against individuals instead of making sure those albums are easier to sell. (Most people I know don't buy albums because there is one song on an album that you like - and it's disgustingly expensive.)

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
luckely here in holland downloading is LEGAL!
the only "rule" is that you dont sell the copy, so you can only use it yourself.
uploading however is legal here and the "organisation" called Brein is actively hunting down uploaders ( forcing internet providers to give up ip adresses and names of people who they think are doing illigal stuff.
those ..... are trying to close every filesharing site there is.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
so if her kids had killed someone they would of prosecuted her for murder? it makes very little sense.
If she gave her kids a Manslaughter 9000 brand chainsaw, told them not to kill any puppies with it, left them unsupervised, and then they went out and killed people with their new chainsaw, would she face any responsibility? It's a silly comparison, but that's what the record companies are pushing. If you give your kids a tool that can be used for illegal purposes, it is your responsibility to make sure that they don't use it to break the law.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
nando said:
so if her kids had killed someone they would of prosecuted her for murder? it makes very little sense.
If she gave her kids a Manslaughter 9000 brand chainsaw, told them not to kill any puppies with it, left them unsupervised, and then they went out and killed people with their new chainsaw, would she face any responsibility? It's a silly comparison, but that's what the record companies are pushing. If you give your kids a tool that can be used for illegal purposes, it is your responsibility to make sure that they don't use it to break the law.
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even once, but 100's of times
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My girlfriend at the time, she had me stay up with her all night because some how the crazy bitch had spent like 12 hours snorting 2 8 balls, didn't use any water (gotta clean your nose) so she had so much crusted in her nose I was sure she was gonna blow up her heart. I mean this was the stuff right off the boat so absolutely pure. ugghh so annoying
    Also doing like 320 dollars worth of coke in half a day lol damn it
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest...