MS Services Agreement Now Allows Disabling of Pirated Microsoft Games

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My first reaction was 'how the hell are they going to cover everything'? Then I read this:

It's worth clarifying that this isn't a full hunt for all desktop software. Microsoft's Services Agreement doesn't cover Steam itself, or any other third-party desktop apps you have on your computer. It does, however, include all Xbox and Windows Games published by Microsoft.

So I'm not TOO bothered (until they're going to look for pirated MP3's and movies, that is :P ). But the following is also rather worrying:

"We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services."

Didn't they shut down games windows - live because it was too obtrusive? If I want to use a third party hardware thingy, I'll do it. They shouldn't interfere with that, IMHO.
But again: as long as they just do it for their own games, I don't mind too much. If they want to end up on my to-be-ignored-list (current population: EA), then so be it.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew there was a reason I made a complete image of my Windows 7 install before I upgraded.

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now there are a few torrent sites banning Windows 10 users. Might be a bit paranoid, but I guess they're playing it safe. I'll admit I haven't really trusted Windows 10 with the whole "hey, we're giving it away free" thing. Nothing is ever free. I suspect it's really all about Microsoft gaining access to private data and battling piracy... all about control as usual. I suspect they'll tighten the screws more once most people switch over. 'Course, on the other hand, they're painting a big red bullseye on themselves for hackers to "correct" this stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk