Xbox signs 10-year agreement to bring their PC games to GeForce now platform

logo-xbox.jpg

Microsoft has just signed a 10-year deal with NVIDIA, that will see Xbox and Activision games released on the GeForce Now platform. A similar plan was previously announced last year--one that would bring the Call of Duty franchise to Nintendo systems and to Steam for the next decade. This new agreement will bring Xbox's PC lineup of games, including Call of Duty, to GeForce Now's streaming service, notably, a rival to Xbox's own xCloud Gaming streaming service.

Of course, this all hinges on the Activision deal going through, which Microsoft will soon be defending to EU regulators.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh. Won’t most of these games be of the pew pew variety? Or super serious sandbox games?

As a Nintendo gamer I guess this is alright since we don’t get much pew pew on Switch. But I think there would be more excitement if the announcement were that MS allowed Rare to develop games for Switch.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Nintendo should bring their games to PC or don't complain people pirate their games. They can't have it both ways.
It is quite naive of you to believe that if a game is on PC it will stop being pirated.
Those who do not want to buy a game will not do so even if it is available on all platforms.

I'm not just talking about Nintendo and its games, but in general.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It is quite naive of you to believe that if a game is on PC it will stop being pirated.
Those who do not want to buy a game will not do so even if it is available on all platforms.

I'm not just talking about Nintendo and its games, but in general.
It wouldn't eliminate all piracy, but piracy would stop being the only option for PC-only gamers. Should be common sense that any additional software profit is better than none.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't see xCloud as a competitor to GeForce Now. xCloud is part of Game Pass which is a game rental service of sorts. GeForce Now is a pure game streaming service which doesn't include any games. Meaning, you still need to buy the games from M$ or Activision in order to play them on GeForce Now. Hence, it's a win win for M$ either way.
Plus, this probably means you'll be able to play your Game Pass games on GeForce Now, if you prefer it over xCloud for whatever reason. So there is still reason to pay for both.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
yup they want to turn people into subscribers, heck in the future i bet they dont even want to make hardware, they just want to do it like netflix and windows and sell the subscription/software.

if sony ever agrees to let gamepass be on ps5 then they wont even bother to make new hardware imo, they will be all about cloud gaming amd gamepass subscriptions.
And that is exactly the future that gamer's DON'T want, no matter how hard these renob companies try to push cloud gaming as a service.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I LOVE Geforce Now. It works so incredibly well and i hope more and more publishers will add their games.
Allthough Nvidia doesnt pay them in any way, since you need to buy the game to play, it can only be a plus for them.

I get that some people (looking at you @Jayro ) dont like this, however its a godsent for people with a bad pc or while on the go, since you can play your games anywhere. I run android on my switch and when i am travelling, there is no better way to experience my games (since i dont have the money to buy a steam deck lol).

You could argue that the money spend at GFN could be money saved for pc components, however you can (and i do) play for absolutly free. You get kicked out after an hour of playtime but you can simply connect again to continue.

Do i prefer native gaming over cloud gaming? Yeah, no doubt. It is and always will be superior. However its an absolute blast of an alternative that i dont want to see gone at all.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I LOVE Geforce Now. It works so incredibly well and i hope more and more publishers will add their games.
Allthough Nvidia doesnt pay them in any way, since you need to buy the game to play, it can only be a plus for them.

I get that some people (looking at you @Jayro ) dont like this, however its a godsent for people with a bad pc or while on the go, since you can play your games anywhere. I run android on my switch and when i am travelling, there is no better way to experience my games (since i dont have the money to buy a steam deck lol).

You could argue that the money spend at GFN could be money saved for pc components, however you can (and i do) play for absolutly free. You get kicked out after an hour of playtime but you can simply connect again to continue.

Do i prefer native gaming over cloud gaming? Yeah, no doubt. It is and always will be superior. However its an absolute blast of an alternative that i dont want to see gone at all.

I don't like needing to secure an internet connection just to play my library of mostly single player games. That's just absurd.

Reactions: Xzi and BigOnYa

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't like needing to secure an internet connection just to play my library of mostly single player games. That's just absurd.
No one forces you to switch to GFN, right? Its completly besides the point and doesnt even make much sense in the first place, as no game is exclusive to this service. Play your games offline all you want. However if you dont have the space to travel with your pc and a steam deck is not affordable, i doubt you will be able to play cyberpunk and what not on your phone.

The difference between a replacement and an alternative is that you dont have to choose the latter one.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally i want the f-ing ftc to stop bashing MS over every aquisition it does as @Foxi4 said in the ftc lawsuit thread this has been going out since the 90's for bill''s blood ever since internet explorer was default in windows

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wouldn't eliminate all piracy, but piracy would stop being the only option for PC-only gamers. Should be common sense that any additional software profit is better than none.
You can't exactly pirate PS4/XB1 games right now without actual hardware. I don't think we can assume that Switch 2 will be any easier. Tegra X1 had existing open source drivers even, their new SoC could be a very different ball game.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You can't exactly pirate PS4/XB1 games right now without actual hardware.
I can only think of a grand total of one exclusive for each of these consoles that hasn't already been ported to PC, so there's no reason to download the console versions of their games in the first place.

I don't think we can assume that Switch 2 will be any easier. Tegra X1 had existing open source drivers even, their new SoC could be a very different ball game.
Assuming there even will be a Switch 2, that is. Nintendo insists on profiting from each console sold, and with the way the current Switch is selling, they have no incentive to release significantly upgraded hardware. Thus a "Switch Pro" seems a lot more likely as a next step for them, and at best that might have a couple more CUs and more RAM, meaning it wouldn't be too much harder to emulate.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and Jayro

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not a big game streaming fan but still good to have more options on the Steam Deck, especially to enjoy Diablo 4 which won't run with Proton currently (and no, I'm definitely not installing stupid Windows on my Deck).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...