My crt experience

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have started buying crt tvs again. I got them again because people have said how good the color look and the refresh rate. I actually grew up with a crt in my room and had no issues (this one was a Samsung if it matters). Recently though, I can hear a high pitched noise coming from my new crt tv. This is not the same tv I grew up with, it is a different one. It only has mono sound if that also could be an issue. Is it that it's a bad tv? We picked it up at an estate sale for free. Or am I just now capable of hearing the noise? Maybe it is becuase it has been a long time since I have used a crt?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I obviously can't say anything for certain without coming over and listen (which I'm not going to do...sorry :) ). But those old bulky televisions certainly had a certain continuous tone when they were on. When I was little, we had one in the middle of the room with the playing area behind it. We could always easily hear when the television was on, even when the sound was muted.

I'm not sure if all CRT's had that sound, but I think they did. You got used to it pretty quickly.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Deflection uses relatively high power AC-powered coils, at the horizontal and vertical frequencies (for 480 resolution they're roughly 15 kHz and 60 Hz)

AC electrical field = alternating magnetical field (this is perfectly intentional, and it's how the single pixel that can be generated at any single moment by the CRT itself is moved across the screen)

Alternating electrical field + alternating magnetical field = forces interacting, which possibly means vibration.

And vibration at audible frequencies is called "sound"!
This is in fact why you can hear a SSD reading or writing, or why laptop/phone/console/toothbrush chargers make some noise if you stick them to your ear, and why the noise changes according to whatever load is connected :)

Reactions: DinohScene

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yep I still remember when I was about 14 years old in the late 90s that I realised that I could hear the high pitched buzzing noise from a crt tv. It uses to drive me insane that I could hear it but other people couldn't. I could always tell when a TV was turned on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🛌 zzzzzzz [farrrrts] [rolls over] zzzzzzzzz