• Views 60,852
  • Replies 401
  • Likes 15

hfmets

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The usual way is a flash cart, you copy the modified games onto a micro SD card, put it in the flash cart and you can play that on the GBA. Good ones for Game Boy games are EZ Flash Jr or Everdrive, tho I don't know if the latter is available since the guy had to shut up his online shop.
Just looked into this, didn’t realize everdrives were Ukraine based. I will look into the EZ Flash jr for the time being as well as emulation. Hopefully Krikkz can get his family and team out of the country soon, no rush on my end. What they are dealing with goes beyond video games.

• Love
Reactions: hippy dave

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just looked into this, didn’t realize everdrives were Ukraine based. I will look into the EZ Flash jr for the time being as well as emulation. Hopefully Krikkz can get his family and team out of the country soon, no rush on my end. What they are dealing with goes beyond video games.
The other alternative worth mentioning is the El Cheapo SD (that's what it's called). And there's something called the USB 64M, but that's much older and doesn't have much space (and is probably not so easy to find anymore).

Titney

Trophies
XP
Country
Krikzz posted on twitter that him and his family are safely in Spain now.
twitter.com/krikzz/status/1503753707346927626
I have two GB Everdrives and they're both excellent, so if you can find existing stock or a used one I highly recommend them.

Also, since you mentioned playing on GBA, keep in mind the difference between flashcarts for the original Gameboy that run GB/GBC games natively, and flashcards for Gameboy Advance that can emulate GB/GBC games on the GBA.

The other alternative worth mentioning is the El Cheapo SD (that's what it's called). And there's something called the USB 64M, but that's much older and doesn't have much space (and is probably not so easy to find anymore).
I have a USB 64M and can confirm they're very basic compared to modern microSD based flashcarts. Might be worth it if you find one very cheap.

Another option is inside gadgets, but they're mostly good if you want very specific hardware features (like rumble or rare mappers) and they also seem to be suffering from chip shortage a lot lately.

Titney

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, but beware of some bugs (like at the final boss) reported in this review: http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/8644/#review
I will keep the game in my wishlist because this hack is not a primer-quality colorization like Super Mario Land 2 DX. It doesn't even colorize the status bar to black like SML2DX does.
Yeah, I tried the hack, and while it is a step up from black and white, it does have a lot of glitches. I saw several other reviews over on romhacking mentioned that too. Hopefully korxo will be able to polish it further.

Reactions: SDA

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
B8yKVin.png

Another mock-up I've done for Atomic Punk (Game B). I've used the stage palette from Bomberman II for the NES, the battle stage that is.
Of course the player sprite will NOT look like that (it must be replaced with that from the original game) and the enemies should be graphically updated. That's what the DX hack would feature if I'll ever be able to make it one day.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Has anybody ever colorized Wario Land 1? I think that would be great, especially if they can actually get it to his real colors and not black and white like WL 2 and 3.
This exists now, but it feels rushed, the colorization is lazy, too dark, and overall just looks crap. I'll wait for Toruzz's version.

Reactions: Ligeia

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This exists now, but it feels rushed, the colorization is lazy, too dark, and overall just looks crap. I'll wait for Toruzz's version.
I'm afraid you'll have to wait a LONG time for it because he still has to release Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru DX first.

Last edited by SDA,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid you'll have to wait a LONG time for it because he still has to release Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru DX first.
That's okay, I'm a patient person. It might release when I get my Analogue Pocket in late 2023, lol.

Reactions: SDA

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There's somebody on ROMhacking.net who is giving color to Mega Man III for the Game Boy (and is working on it since 2019, too):
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29541.0

Sadly, he stated he's doing this with the GB Colorizer, and you know what that means. I'll rather wait for a more official-like DX version, maybe by marc_max who is currently colorizing Mega Man V.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Looks good for a Colorizer, except for the MegaMan sprite. That blue face is the death of me. They better hop into some assembly language to fix that.

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
B8yKVin.png

Another mock-up I've done for Atomic Punk (Game B). I've used the stage palette from Bomberman II for the NES, the battle stage that is.
Of course the player sprite will NOT look like that (it must be replaced with that from the original game) and the enemies should be graphically updated. That's what the DX hack would feature if I'll ever be able to make it one day.
Have you seen my above post, by the way?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro