My N3ds XL suddenly won't turn on or charge

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So last night I was playing Terraria on my 3ds when I noticed it's already low on battery (blue light is now red). I turned the 3ds off and then charged it for a couple of hours. It was getting late like 12 AM late and it was still charging. I was getting sleepy so I figured I would just charge it fully tomorrow so I unplugged the 3ds from the charger and put it back in its case. Woke up today to charge my 3ds but it wont charge (no orange light when charger is plugged in) or turn on (the blue light doesn't even appear)

I checked the battery and it's not swollen.

I checked the charger but it charges my phone

What do I do? It's a dual ips too so it's valuable xP

Last edited by mario-lucis-caelum,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So last night I was playing Terraria on my 3ds when I noticed it's already low on battery (blue light is now red). I turned the 3ds off and then charged it for a couple of hours. It was getting late like 12 AM late and it was still charging. I was getting sleepy so I figured I would just charge it fully tomorrow so I unplugged the 3ds from the charger and put it back in its case. Woke up today to charge my 3ds but it wont charge or turn on. What do I do? It's a dual ips too so it's valuable xd
1. dual ips I dont give a shit about. thats not what your wanting here.
2. Try to remove the battery and let it drain fully for half a hour and attempt to turn on without battery to fully deplete the system. and then reinsert the battery and see if it works.

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1. dual ips I dont give a shit about. thats not what your wanting here.
2. Try to remove the battery and let it drain fully for half a hour and attempt to turn on without battery to fully deplete the system. and then reinsert the battery and see if it works.
I'll try it will give an update later

Reactions: lone_wolf323

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Update: So I don't know what happened but I tried powering it on again and now it's working and it's now charging. What the frick even happened?! It was totally dead (won't charge or won't turn on) and now it's working?! What?!

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Update: I just got done charging my 3ds and it's not turning on or charging again. It literally just got done charging five minutes ago.

Anyone know what the issue is?

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked the charger but it charges my phone
Uh.. You have a mod usb-c port on the 3ds and that's how you can use the charger with both devices? Otherwise it's not possible.
Update: I just got done charging my 3ds and it's not turning on or charging again. It literally just got done charging five minutes ago.

Anyone know what the issue is?
Check the contacts on the battery and see if they're clean, and the pins on the system that touch the contacts on the battery, make sure they're not bent or anything.
And when you put the battery in its place, make sure it's sitting snuggly and is the contacts/pins are closely pressed against each other with no gap in between, and when you put the back plate make sure it's holding the battery tight and is screwed, without any gaps between the system and the back cover..

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uh.. You have a mod usb-c port on the 3ds and that's how you can use the charger with both devices? Otherwise it's not possible.

Check the contacts on the battery and see if they're clean, and the pins on the system that touch the contacts on the battery, make sure they're not bent or anything.
And when you put the battery in its place, make sure it's sitting snuggly and is the contacts/pins are closely pressed against each other with no gap in between, and when you put the back plate make sure it's holding the battery tight and is screwed, without any gaps between the system and the back cover..
The contacts look okay. The battery is secured in place when I insert it into the slot. It just won't turn on (no blue light) or indicate a charge when plugged to a charger (orange light doesn't even light up). I'm not even sure how I managed to turn it on earlier. What a weird issue and it was all because I probably drained the battery last night (battery indicator turned red) then I charged it.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The contacts look okay. The battery is secured in place when I insert it into the slot. It just won't turn on (no blue light) or indicate a charge when plugged to a charger (orange light doesn't even light up). I'm not even sure how I managed to turn it on earlier. What a weird issue and it was all because I probably drained the battery last night (battery indicator turned red) then I charged it.
You might want to try with another battery and /or charger.
If it's still doesn't want to charge after replacing both, it's some hardware component on the 3DS that controls voltage or power like a fuse, It's probably blown..
Btw have you seen a fading blue light when you powered on the system, like after 2 secs?
If so, it could be something else that's faulty, and it was just a coincidence with the charging..

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You might want to try with another battery and /or charger.
If it's still doesn't want to charge after replacing both, it's some hardware component on the 3DS that controls voltage or power like a fuse, It's probably blown..
Btw have you seen a fading blue light when you powered on the system, like after 2 secs?
If so, it could be something else that's faulty, and it was just a coincidence with the charging..
I kinda don't wanna order/buy stuff until I know for sure what the issue is.

Will the 3DS smell burnt if the fuse is blown? It doesn't smell burnt.

There's no blue or orange light. When I push the power button or when I try and charge the system there's no light at all.

What the heck is going on with this 3ds xD

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda don't wanna order/buy stuff until I know for sure what the issue is.
Well, you can't know for sure who's the culprit without slowly eliminating each component one by one, until you reach the one responsible at the end..
Will the 3DS smell burnt if the fuse is blown? It doesn't smell burnt.
Nope. You have to check the values with a multimeter. Can't help you there..
There's no blue or orange light. When I push the power button or when I try and charge the system there's no light at all.

What the heck is going on with this 3ds xD
Again, it could be something else other than the battery or the power compartment..
It could be the sd card reader, as a faulty one would prevent the system from booting up regardless if the battery/charger is working or not..

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, you can't know for sure who's the culprit without slowly eliminating each component one by one, until you reach the one responsible at the end..

Nope. You have to check the values with a multimeter. Can't help you there..

Again, it could be something else other than the battery or the power compartment..
It could be the sd card reader, as a faulty one would prevent the system from booting up regardless if the battery/charger is working or not..
If it helps when I managed to magically make it work earlier it behaved like a normal 3ds. I can turn it on and off at anytime. I guess the culprit is when I'm charging it.

Edit: It turns on again. WHAT THE FRICK IS WRONG WITH THIS THING. Should I completely drain the battery?

Edit: Also date and time got reset back to 1/1/2011 both times. What could be the problem?

Last edited by mario-lucis-caelum,

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it helps when I managed to magically make it work earlier it behaved like a normal 3ds. I can turn it on and off at anytime. I guess the culprit is when I'm charging it.
Again, try with just the battery without it being plugged to charge.
Also, how many lines does it show in the battery indicator? If it's like 3 or 4 lines and it suddenly drops to 1 or turns the system completely off, then it's definitely the battery.
Edit: It turns on again. WHAT THE FRICK IS WRONG WITH THIS THING. Should I completely drain the battery?
You should've done this already.. Take out the battery, let it sit for a 1 min while pressing the power button 1 or 2 times during the waiting. Plug it back and try again.
Edit: Also date and time got reset back to 1/1/2011 both times. What could be the problem?
That's normal. Everytime you remove the battery from its place the time resets, you'd have to set the time after you plug it back..

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Again, try with just the battery without it being plugged to charge.
Also, how many lines does it show in the battery indicator? If it's like 3 or 4 lines and it suddenly drops to 1 or turns the system completely off, then it's definitely the battery.

You should've done this already.. Take out the battery, let it sit for a 1 min while pressing the power button 1 or 2 times during the waiting. Plug it back and try again.

That's normal. Everytime you remove the battery from its place the time resets, you'd have to set the time after you plug it back..
It's working normally again. It's not the battery I think. It holds a charge. Battery indicator is at 4 bars and doesn't go down.

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anymore ideas guys? It's gotten worse. Now it doesn't turn on at all. I just want to sell this thing since it's dual IPS. I don't really care about the 3ds anymore since I have a Switch and my phone/tablet can play 3ds games at 4x resolution with citra mmj.

serge85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Heheh