Gaming My new Netbook!

Hedgehogofchaos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I just ordered a netbook and need some free software to install on it (note the software will have to run under windows 7 or under snow leopard). I'm looking for a word processor (preferably a light one) and an office suite (open office isn't my first choice). Also i'm in need of a few good games that can run good on a netbook. And what do you guys suggest for surfing the web? and Finally a good free antivirus, one for both windows and os x. if you guys have any other softare suggestions i'm open to them

Thanks =)

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For a word processor that isn't open office writer I recommend AbiWord. It doesn't have a full office suite to accompany it, but the same people make a nice spreadsheet program called Gnumeric.

For Anti-Virus I suggest Microsoft security essentials for Windows I have no idea what even exists for OS X, though you could probably find a compatible/specialized version of ClamAV.

And of course Firefox for a browser.

Olyfes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
deanxxczx said:
netbooks can't run games so good because its designed for work.
Open Office for a free word processor, I don't know any other ones.
Firefox or Google Chrome for web browsing
Avast! For Windows.

Freeware: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=195018
Games: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=93841 (Good luck running most of them)
What are you specs ? I have an laptop an can play modern warface 2 on high , prototype on medium/high and fallout 3 on medium high without lag .
Openoffice would run word documents
I should stuck with IE8 on windows 7 , i have windows 7 and ie8 and it runs great ! If you don't like ie8 i should get Opera , dont get firefox 3.5 because its buggy , i should stuch with version 3.0
And games ? hmm , try prototype , it's fun .
Oh yes and Get Avira if you searching for an free one and NOD32 if you gonna pay for one

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Olyfes said:
What are you specs ? I have an laptop an can play modern warface 2 on high , prototype on medium/high and fallout 3 on medium high without lag .
Openoffice word word documents
I should stuch with IE8 on windows 7 , i have windows 7 and ie8 and it runs great ! If you don't like ie8 i should get Opera , dont get firefox 3.5 because its buggy , i should stuch with version 3.0

I don't have a netbook.

If your comparing IE8 to Firefox and other web browsers get ready for flames.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have a netbook and it's rather crappy at running games. It's not what I got it for anyway. The GPU in it does allow hardware acceleration of h.264 content, so I can get DXVA in MPC-HC on HD content, which is nice.

I run Firefox on my netbook for my browser. Microsoft Security Essentials, or Comodo for antivirus. Comodo also has a nice firewall.

There's a list of games for the Dell mini that may give you an idea of what can be run. It's not your laptop specs, but it's a start.
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gaming/610...mini-9-10v.html

Hedgehogofchaos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edhel said:
There's a list of games for the Dell mini that may give you an idea of what can be run. It's not your laptop specs, but it's a start.
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gaming/610...mini-9-10v.html

Dude almost allnetbooks have the same or similiar specs, my netbook has a slightly better processor than the dell ones so this list will be great
smile.gif

Olyfes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
deanxxczx said:
Olyfes said:
Openoffice word word documents
I should stuch with IE8 on windows 7 , i have windows 7 and ie8 and it runs great ! If you don't like ie8 i should get Opera , dont get firefox 3.5 because its buggy , i should stuch with version 3.0

I don't have a netbook.

If your comparing IE8 to Firefox and other web browsers get ready for flames.
I am an experience firefox user, but IE8 works stable on Windows 7 than on XP. But @Topic starter nobody can tell which browser is the best for you , try yourself some and stay with the one that works the best for you .

--end of the browser discussion--

Posts merged

I'm having this one , play's fine at gaming .

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I've got on my Netbook:

Windows 7:
* Steam for Half Life 1 based games.
* Audiosurf (Fun music game).
* NES/GBA/SNES emulators.
* Cave Story (Game).

Ubuntu 9.10 (Linux):
* Gedit for code editing.
* Various command line based compilers (gcc, java, python, haskell, etc.)
* Gnome-Do and Docky as an application launcher.
* Tomboy for Notes.
* Open Office for word processing.

Mac OS X 10.5.8:
* OmniOutliner for note taking.
* iTunes for music and iPhone n' such.
* Quinn as a Tetris knock off time waster.
* Quicksilver as an application launcher

Cross Platform / All OSes:
* Instant Messenger: Digsby(Win), Pidgin(Linux), Adium(Mac)
* Google Chrome for web browsing.
* VLC for video viewing.

I personally don't really use Windows for that much besides gaming on my netbook. OS X is a nice OS for some light web browsing n' such, but I mostly live inside of Ubuntu. Linux is really well suited for netbooks, and I find myself more productive in it.

To answer your questions, get AVG's free Antivirus for Windows. There are Anti-Virus programs for OS X, but they're not worth it. There's like, 2 known pieces of malware out there for the Mac, and they both require the user to explicitly say, "Yes, install this thing, here's my password." Abiword is a MS Word alternative for Windows/Linux. Bean is a decent-ish Word replacement for OS X. However, if you dislike Open Office, your only alternative really is Microsoft Office or Apple's iWork.

Anyways, that's how I use my netbook. I still do a lot of things on my desktop, and try not to expect too much of the little guy. Emulators and old games from the 90s are your best choice for getting something that will run on your system. (GoodOldGames.com perhaps?) I'd highly suggest looking into trying Linux. It's really good for netbooks, and comes with a ton of software for doing the types of things most people expect netbooks to do.

Hedgehogofchaos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Foxle said:
Anyways, that's how I use my netbook. I still do a lot of things on my desktop, and try not to expect too much of the little guy. Emulators and old games from the 90s are your best choice for getting something that will run on your system. (GoodOldGames.com perhaps?) I'd highly suggest looking into trying Linux. It's really good for netbooks, and comes with a ton of software for doing the types of things most people expect netbooks to do.
The thing is I have no clue on how to install unbuntu along side my Windows 7 and OS X 10.6.2 using chameleon as a bootloader, I would install linux but i really don't want to mess up my current setup, that and I have no idea how to use linux

Olyfes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hedgehogofchaos said:
Foxle said:
The thing is I have no clue on how to install unbuntu along side my Windows 7 and OS X 10.6.2 using chameleon as a bootloader, I would install linux but i really don't want to mess up my current setup, that and I have no idea how to use linux
rofl2.gif

Dude why do you want to use linux instead of windows 7

Hedgehogofchaos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Olyfes said:
Hedgehogofchaos said:
Foxle said:
rofl2.gif

rofl2.gif

Dude its called having OS X, Linux, AND windows 7 all at once. I'm going to be using windows 7 for games for the most part.

Olyfes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Olyfes said:
Hedgehogofchaos said:
Foxle said:
rofl2.gif

Oh yeah if you don't want to mess up your pc you could download virtual pc and install ubuntu on a Virtual computer , your don't mess up anything with your pc . you can download / mess up everything without your pc is being killing .

here;s a video about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqSQSIsURLw

Hedgehogofchaos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Olyfes said:
Oh yeah if you don't want to mess up your pc you could download virtual pc and install ubuntu on a Virtual computer , your don't mess up anything with your pc . you can download / mess up everything without your pc is being killing .

here;s a video about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqSQSIsURLw
umm but is the atom powerful enough to do that?

Olyfes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hedgehogofchaos said:
Olyfes said:
Hedgehogofchaos said:
Foxle said:
rofl2.gif

rofl2.gif

Dude its called having OS X, Linux, AND windows 7 all at once. I'm going to be using windows 7 for games for the most part.
Sorry for coming for this part , my english sucks you now ..i thought i readed something diffrent
rofl.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: I was gonna say that. lol +1