My PS2 Slim turns from green back to red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When i try to power on my PS2 slim it turns from green to red instantly.

i dont have a official PS2 slim power cable. but other PS2 slim works with this power cable. so not sure there.

i opened it, all the way to the motherboard to check for any thing obvious. like water damage. nothing like that.

any suggestions?

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just an educated guess, but it could just be that the console isn't able to draw enough power anymore. I had that when trying to output YUV, the console was just too old to display anything so I had to stick to composite.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
There are a load of videos about this on youtube, why didn't you just check them instead of creating a new thread for the spam sites to copy and waste their precious bandwidth on?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just an educated guess, but it could just be that the console isn't able to draw enough power anymore. I had that when trying to output YUV, the console was just too old to display anything so I had to stick to composite.

just tried that. still the same. thanks tho.

Dude you got a Dell Chameleon.
There are a load of videos about this on youtube, why didn't you just check them instead of creating a new thread for the spam sites to copy and waste their precious bandwidth on?

what the hell you talking about?

before i solder anything i want a input of people who might have an idea. not just by soldering everything based on one youtube video.

end of the day gbatemp is a forum where we help one another by giving each others ideas on past experience.

so do you have anything useful to say?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmmhm. Sounds like a variant of my beloved "Google it!"
What's the point of such a reply? Even if the answer to a question technically already can be found online by searching, it might be faster to ask. Maybe somebody knows the answer and can provide it in a minute – faster than searching up and down or watching blurry videos telling to bridge a fuse.

When i try to power on my PS2 slim it turns from green to red instantly.

i dont have a official PS2 slim power cable. but other PS2 slim works with this power cable. so not sure there.

i opened it, all the way to the motherboard to check for any thing obvious. like water damage. nothing like that.

any suggestions?
Sadly I cannot come up with own knowledge about PS2. "Does not turn on" indeed reminds me of a defective fuse – but a blown fuse automatically asks the further question why it is blown. Checking the fuse(s) should be the first thing to do.
My next general idea if no fuse is defective would be some voltage regulator not working correctly. Compare it to this Wii which wouldn't turn on fully. That was an issue where some parts got no power (and an impressive repair!)

Reactions: CoolMe and Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's the point of such a reply? Even if the answer to a question technically already can be found online by searching, it might be faster to ask. Maybe somebody knows the answer and can provide it in a minute – faster than searching up and down or watching blurry videos telling to bridge a fuse.

Sadly I cannot come up with own knowledge about PS2. "Does not turn on" indeed reminds me of a defective fuse – but a blown fuse automatically asks the further question why it is blown. Checking the fuse(s) should be the first thing to do.
My next general idea if no fuse is defective would be some voltage regulator not working correctly. Compare it to this Wii which wouldn't turn on fully. That was an issue where some parts got no power (and an impressive repair!)

ive been talking with @Foxi4 and thats what his recommended.

foxi is one smart dude.:vul2:

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing to check is the power button's ribbon cable, it could be faulty and some of the pins are corroded or damaged, and because of that they fail to connect and power the system on fully, inspect it visually and if you see any pins missing it might be it. I encountered a similar issue with my slim, though that was like +12 years ago, so i'm not sure if the power button turned completely off after being green or does it turn to red. Try with another power cable/supply to be sure if you can first then go from there..

Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im going to lock this thread for now. but ill definitely come back to this later. once i have all parts and what not.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

From what I’ve read online, this is a particularly common fault with no specific cause to narrow down to, so it might just be a quirk of the design. Normally when a fuse blows, you’d want to look for a fault somewhere up or down the stream, but with older devices fuses are liable to blow just due to the age of the components - various regulators go slightly out of spec, capacitors lose capacity, so on, so forth. Could’ve been a freak accident for all we know. It’s generally good practice to investigate the area for obvious signs like burn marks or popped casings before bridging anything, do some probing and so on, but if no other fault is obvious and the problem is already well-documented, you can spend a considerable amount of time looking for a fault that’s not there. Ultimately it’s a PS2, not a Rolls Royce - I’d bridge it and see what happens. If there is another fault, it might actually help in locating it since faulty components tend to go pretty hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/q1474nWP0bI?si=5v445vycfskxD3V8