Gaming My Rant to Apple Haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperialX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Choose a tech blog or news source of your choice that isn’t specific to Apple news. Then, pick a post that introduces a new Apple product, and scroll down to the comments. The ratio of comments flaming it to those praising it will definitely be 4:1, at the least.

Apple is the tech world’s most flamed company. Regardless of how good or bad the product is, it will always be criticized by the majority. What’s ironic is, most of Apple’s products, speaking from a purely unbiased sense, are excellent products. This point can be proven by reading critical reviews on any quality tech site and consumer reviews on Amazon. In fact, Apple has been ranked number one in customer satisfaction for years in the United States.

Technologically, Apple has been responsible for multiple breakthroughs. Some examples include introducing the GUI on a personal computer and the Multi-touch interface that uses the finger as an input device. In terms of design, Apple is consistently pushing the borders. The original 1984 Macintosh was the first all-in-one computer that can be lifted with one hand. All modern laptop designs are based off the original PowerBook, which pushed the keyboard up, forming the palm rest and creating room for a trackpad. The MacBook line’s unibody architecture (which has now been expanded to the iPad) is what leads to some of the thinnest and lightest enclosures in the industry, while maintaining incredibly long battery life.

Even without involving personal preferences, denying Apple as one of the most advanced technology companies cannot be justified. Without Apple, this World will be vastly different, and almost definitely not a better one. With this fact established, let me ask the main question of this rant. Why do you hate Apple so much?

Yes, Apple Haters. I’m asking you this question.

“Alright,” I hear you say, “For one, Apple products are overpriced.” Fine. Let’s consider the basic 13” MacBook Pro for a moment. At this time of writing, the core specs of this $1199 laptop is equivalent to a $699 HP. Prices change from time to time, but the overall difference between Windows computers and Macs are known to remain fairly constant. This 70% markup is what’s infamously labeled the “Apple Tax”.

Let’s look at the two machines, identical in specs, from a neutral perspective.

For starters, the MacBook Pro has 10 hours of battery life with Wi-Fi turned on. At the time of writing, the equivalent HP has 6 hours at the max. The MacBook Pro also features a very thin and light unibody enclosure, a backlit LED with an ambient light sensor, a backlit keyboard, a motion sensor to detect a sudden drop, the glass Multi-touch trackpad, and the patented MagSafe adaptor. These things may seem minimal and useless to some people, but in conjunction with Mac OS X, for some users, it can significantly improve the user experience.

It’s really a personal preference thing when people choose to buy Macs. For a person who only looks at the core specs of the machine, getting a Mac is completely out of the question. For a person who really cares for the small details and a more refined user experience, a Mac may be worth the extra “Apple Tax”. That’s their decision. There’s no need for you to point out that “Macs are a ripoff.”. That’s your own opinion. Most people who buy Macs know perfectly they’re paying more, and in their opinion, it’s worth it. In fact, 70% of people who buy Macs today come from using Windows. There’s no reason why your opinion should be worth more than anyone else’s.

“Well, Macs suck compared to Windows! They don’t do sh*t-” Let me interrupt you before you say that they can’t “right-click” or mention the lack of games. These are truly a lame and overused argument. Firstly, the Mac can do more than just “Right-Click”. The multi-touch trackpad and the Magic Mouse can perform more functions via. gestures than any Windows-based mice. In fact, the trackpad is one of the primary reasons why people switch to Macs, even considering the “Apple Tax”.

Macs do have an abundance of applications. When it comes to numbers, they do come short in comparison to Windows. However, when it comes to usability and polish, they can easily match Windows. There are barely any task that Windows can do that Macs can’t do, and vice versa. Which one being more superior is a matter of opinion, but saying that Macs can’t do something Windows can do in terms of productivity is seriously ignorant. If you like Windows, then that’s OK, but why diss Macs? Have you ever even used one properly? Most people on Macs have used Windows for years prior. Can you match that kind of usage before criticizing it?

Games. Mac OS X definitely have far fewer games than Windows. Even though Steam is running on OS X now, Windows will most likely always have more games than OS X. Macs are also more expensive and not very economical for gamers. However, gamers represent a very small niche in the entire userbase. Using the fact that Mac OS X lacks gaming capabilities to put it down as a good computer is absurd. Most people who buy Macs are not wanting to game anyway. When the occasional urge comes, they can even boot into Windows to play games, and the problem is solved.

Why is it, after I’ve proven beyond a shadow of doubt that Macs are in no way disadvantaged to PCs, you still insist on hating them? In fact, why do you hate the Apple products in general? I don’t think I need to talk about the iPhone and iPad being very good devices. Again, critical reviews and customer satisfaction levels speak for themselves.

“Shut up, you fanboy.”

Ah, we’re finally at the core of the problem.

The reason why Apple is hated is not because they have bad products. Most of the haters know that Apple makes good products deep down in their hearts. In fact, everything I’ve written so far in this article are common knowledge to many haters. The main reason why Apple is still hated is because of their smug users.

Today, I want you to know one thing. Myself included, not all Apple users are Apple fanboys. I understand that in a debate about Mac VS PC, Mac users often justify paying the “Apple Tax” by talking about how they prefer OS X’s user interface, the apps, and the build quality like I talked about above. You will then start hearing things like “Your PC sucks. Macs never crash.” or “OS X is just so much more secure than Windows.” Let me clarify right now, the people who talk about the user interface are in a completely different group to the ones saying “Macs never crash.”

One of the greatest misconceptions of the tech community today that drove you guys to hate Apple is the idea that all of Apple’s userbase are mindless fanboys who attack everything non-Apple and praise everything Apple does. This is definitely not true at all. As a person who dual boots, I can say with confidence that both Windows 7 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard are very established and polished operating systems. Android and iOS both have their strong points and weak points. Against a very knowledgable Windows user, I don’t expect to be able to hold up in a fight saying that Mac OS X is technologically superior to Windows, but I don’t think I’d lose either. They’re both very capable and well-designed. Arguing the superiority in the first place is a completely pointless topic with nothing to gain. I’m just a person who prefers OS X and iOS because of personal opinions, something everyone is entitled to have a difference one.

As much as Apple fanboys are in the wrong for worshipping Apple, the unjustified hate you guys are throwing in Apple’s direction is equally unjustified. In the eyes of a neutral bystander like me, you’re no different to the fanboys. Just like how they ignore Apple’s faults and turn a blind eye to all the great products everyone else makes, you’re doing the same thing, ignoring Apple’s achievements, and turning a blind eye to their great products. How ironic it is that you, fueled full of despise against the fanboys, are becoming the very people you hate in the first place.

It’s time for the tech community to join hands again and put an end to this conflict. As lovers of technology, there’s no reason for us to fight over such a trivial matter. We live in a democracy, and everyone has their different opinions. Don’t let the fanboys cloud your judgement of a good product. Look at the comments you posted with a calm mind, are your comments really justified? Think about this the next time you see a new Apple product introduced. How about taking a first step today, build a hacint0sh, and boot up with Mac OS X for a week? You’ll be surprised at how good it is.

Original Post: http://imperialx.wordpress.com/2010/07/18/...o-apple-haters/

EDIT: Since it's buried and too hard to find, I added the link of my rant AGAINST Apple fanboys here. Enjoy it. http://gbatemp.net/t241223-my-rant-to-apple-fanboys

MarioBrotha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This should really go on a blog post
And for a sec I thought you had just copied your rant and put on a new title on it

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I see your point but I think this guy can prove you wrong. http://gbatemp.net/t241223-my-rant-to-appl...p;#entry2989419
laugh.gif

DeviousTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MarioBrotha said:
This should really go on a blog post
And for a sec I thought you had just copied your rant and put on a new title on it

They're practically the same.

Topic 1: i hate apple fanboys
Topic 2: we hate apple because we hate apple fanboys

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Some examples include introducing the GUI on a personal computer
No they didn't, Xerox made the first GUI. Everyone else copied it.

The “Apple Tax”, my $300 Netbook is as fast as a macbook air, yet is by far cheaper.

QUOTE said:
The multi-touch trackpad and the Magic Mouse can perform more functions via. gestures than any Windows-based mice

I absolute hate mutli-touch trackpad, My 4 year old HP laptop has one, and I turned off the multitouch part. magic mouse, I would rather use a 3 button mouse, and if I need functions I can get one of these.

Games, Yes mac's have games, probably never will have as many as windows. currently apple need to step up there graphic drivers to compete in benchmarks.

and as a person that has a hackintosh, I can say, Mac is not for me. I have tested it thoroughly after being called a mac hater. For me OSX doesn't offer the usability and function of windows 7. I know there is alot of people, that like basic UI, OSX has. Most Operating Systems are not one size fits all, overall linux is the closest since, it can be made to fit anyone, like Arch.

QUOTE said:
As much as Apple fanboys are in the wrong for worshipping Apple, the unjustified hate you guys are throwing in Apple’s direction is equally unjustified. In the eyes of a neutral bystander like me, you’re no different to the fanboys. Just like how they ignore Apple’s faults and turn a blind eye to all the great products everyone else makes, you’re doing the same thing, ignoring Apple’s achievements, and turning a blind eye to their great products. How ironic it is that you, fueled full of despise against the fanboys, are becoming the very people you hate in the first place.

lastly, you sound very much like a fanboy, you aren't very neutral, your "rant" was highly biased towards OSX and apple.

As a user of Windows, OSX and Linux, I can say, each one has a target group, and does not work for everyone. I use all three to properly have the knowledge of them, to help people.
How about taking a first step today, build a hacint0sh, and boot up with Mac OS X for a week? You’ll be surprised at how good it is.
I did, I learned it wasn't for me, though I'm keeping the hackintosh, so I remain inside in the apple universe,

ImperialX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
murkurie said:
No they didn't, Xerox made the first GUI. Everyone else copied it.
Did you see the word "PERSONAL computer"?

murkurie said:
The “Apple Tax”, my $300 Netbook is as fast as a macbook air, yet is by far cheaper.
You must be joking if you think that pathetic Atom processor can come anywhere close to the MacBook Air. The only thing similar is the GFX. Also, the MBA is aimed at a niche market. Some people have a need for it.

murkurie said:
I absolute hate mutli-touch trackpad, My 4 year old HP laptop has one, and I turned off the multitouch part. magic mouse, I would rather use a 3 button mouse, and if I need functions I can get one of these.
I'm not a user of the Magic Mouse because I think multi-touch should be reserved for a trackpad. I use a Logitech VX Nano as my mouse. To be honest, I've used those "wannabe" Multi-touch trackpads. You have to use one on a MacBook before you put down the entire concept.

QUOTE(murkurie @ Jul 18 2010, 04:02 PM) and as a person that has a hackintosh, I can say, Mac is not for me. I have tested it thoroughly after being called a mac hater. For me OSX doesn't offer the usability and function of windows 7. I know there is alot of people, that like basic UI, OSX has. Most Operating Systems are not one size fits all, overall linux is the closest since, it can be made to fit anyone, like Arch.
I moved from Windows to Mac OS X after being with Windows for most of my life. It took some time to get used to, but it definitely offers all the functionalities Windows has, and more. Of course, the point of this article was never to point out the supremacy of one OS.

QUOTE(murkurie @ Jul 18 2010, 04:02 PM)
lastly, you sound very much like a fanboy, you aren't very neutral, your "rant" was highly biased towards OSX and apple.
I've been called an Apple hater by fanboys reading this post on a Mac Forums. I've read through both articles several time. It's just the your Windows-preferring nature that makes you think that.
smile.gif

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
murkurie said:

Didn't you just prove his post by resorting to call him a fanboy?

Excellent posts/rants/thoughts, really shows both sides of the 'war' clearly
smile.gif

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Did you see the word "PERSONAL computer"?
What do you think they made it for?
Xerox_8010_compound_document.jpg

QUOTE said:
You must be joking if you think that pathetic Atom processor can come anywhere close to the MacBook Air. The only thing similar is the GFX. Also, the MBA is aimed at a niche market. Some people have a need for it.

atom isn't that pathetic, it runs OSX nicely and very smooth, you would think it was a real mac. Plus mine is OC to 1.83GHZ

QUOTE said:
You have to use one on a MacBook before you put down the entire concept.
Where did I say I didn't. I've them plenty of times. I personal don't like multi-touch or touch screens all that much. I rather have a physical keys. that's why I compromised with a phone that has both.

but it definitely offers all the functionalities Windows has, and more
That entirely depends on usage, for me it lacks alot of stuff, Windows has given me, esp. in the multi-moniter area. I have yet to see something as easy the win-key+p hot-key.

I have been using WIndows 7 and OSX for the last 5 months, the only time osx could do something windows couldn't was install the Ios 4 beta's on my ipt2g.

Again, I repeat it's up to preference, and what your needs are. OSX does not support my needs. Windows 7 supports it.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Incredible. Summed up all of my thoughts and more.

But when did a "fanboy" become something bad?
I never got this...
You want a derogatory term, try something like "Apple zealot."

And to think all these years I've marked myself a fanboy...

Edit: Murkurle,

An Atom can not compare to a Core 2 Duo. Just stop.
I have a Hackintosh HP Mini netbook with OS X as well. It runs fine, but holy shit, it does not outmatch the MacBook Air in any way. The Air is underpowered for sure, but no way in hell (or the arctic) can an overclocked netbook Atom at whatever beat a Core 2 Duo... 2.13GHz vs 1.83GHz. Sorry for the block of text, but this flames me up.

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't hate Apple, but I'm never going to buy a product other than iPod iPhone etc.. I believe it is WAY overpriced. I just don't think it's worth all the extra money.

Kind of offtopic: I saw an Apple 1 TB external HDD the other day. It was a whopping $300!!! 2x the cost of a WD one.

EDIT: I've used Macs at school...I don't see what's so great about them. Sure they get the job done, but I could also do that on a Windows.

Logan 5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Apple sucks. So does Microsoft. Linux is superior. I only read the first few sentences of your post. Apple is deservedly the most flamed tech company because they blatantly over-price everything and most of their popularity is totally a fashion statement more than a tech thing. Still they have some cool stuff but its nowhere near as amazing as all the hype would lead one to believe.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Scott-105 said:
I don't hate Apple, but I'm never going to buy a product other than iPod iPhone etc.. I believe it is WAY overpriced. I just don't think it's worth all the extra money.

Kind of offtopic: I saw an Apple 1 TB external HDD the other day. It was a whopping $300!!! 2x the cost of a WD one.

EDIT: I've used Macs at school...I don't see what's so great about them. Sure they get the job done, but I could also do that on a Windows.

it's just preference, really.
I've grown up on a powermac and played through the OS X beta.

I've used Windows, and have 7 and Ubuntu (which is awesome) on different partitions on my Mac. It's great.
The thing is, they work almost the same way.
You said that they get the job done, but they're nothing special you've noticed. Well, isn't it the same way for any other modern OS? Yeah. There are minute differences that people will prefer or not.

I personally believe the biggest selling points are the design, integration, and support of Apple's products. Although they don't support older problems, which is very annoying, they have a knack with people. The design I've always loved (most of them anyways) and their integration on all of their platforms makes me a happy OCD person.

Regarding Apple selling cases or RAM or HDs:
Fucking. Rip. Off.

They're just trying to rip off the unknowing moms and dads with money.
All just part of capitalism!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Murkurie beat me to the Xerox part. Here is why I dislike Macs:

1) The way the GUI is set out is just horrendous, and if Microsoft had not won that law suit I may have very well been using a MAC. However I am not, and anyone who says anyone of these corporate companies had innovated to make the PERSONAL COMPUTER is wrong. There is a saying: Good artists copy, and great artists steal. Also, the profit goes not to the inventor, but to the exploiter of the invention. These battles between these "Fanboys" is POINTLESS. Seriously, none of these guys have even INNOVATED, they have either copied, or stole pre-existing tech and re-branded it as their own.

2) I dislike the one button mouse, and the fact that they have marketed in the past that the MAC gets no viruses. Well guess what, they do. They aren't even close to the popularity of the P.C. and I doubt they ever will be. This is the reason there are less viruses for the Mac.

3) I do like the iPod Touch. Not only is it useful in real life, but it just screams quality. I don't like the price of these. Apple is just price gouging, because they think they can get away with it.

/End response to a rant/

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow so my msg gets erased... but this topic stays to continue this OP's rants.

MAC for Mac users. PC for PC users. Simply put..... Apples and Oranges.

Wynd

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) Can't afford their junk.
2) Apple taxes re enforces #1.
3) I don't need it because I can do most things with Windows or Linux already.
4) I don't need iPods because all those extra functions are extra crap I won't use.
5) I know more Apple fanboys than haters. They rub me the wrong way.
6) Not exactly a fan of the GUI. Then again I've become to love openbox on Linux.

Now I don't care if my points are easily refuted.

@Sterl500: You know Steve Jobs said that saying before? Not saying he is the first.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't bash OSX on atom before you've tried it. I have an atom hackintosh and it works fine in all day to day situations.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Don't bash OSX on atom before you've tried it. I have an atom hackintosh and it works fine in all day to day situations.
I didn't bash shit. You should probably read the posts.
I'm saying that Atom can not compare to a Core 2 Duo in terms of power.
I have a Hackintosh HP Mini (the one without ion) with Snow Leopard and Windows 7 on it. It works fine in day to day situations. It can not match the MacBook Air. The guy said his fucking 300$ netbook outfuckingperforms a MacBook Air. His modest (there, you happy?) Atom processor will not compare to a fucking Core 2 ducking Duo.

Why am I even restating this? Reread my post.

ImperialX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@Sterl500 & BoxShot: This article is written exactly for people like you. Please read it before replying.
smile.gif

murkurie said:
What do you think they made it for?
Xerox_8010_compound_document.jpg

WOW! A $12000USD personal computer! Back in 1980! Should I buy a house, or that thing? Hmm…decisions, decisions.

murkurie said:
Where did I say I didn't. I've them plenty of times. I personal don't like multi-touch or touch screens all that much. I rather have a physical keys. that's why I compromised with a phone that has both.
The MacBook/Pro trackpad does use a button. Also, if it doesn't improve the user experience for you, then that's OK. It's just that your opinion doesn't represent everyone's opinions. That's what this article is saying the entire time.

murkurie said:
That entirely depends on usage, for me it lacks alot of stuff, Windows has given me, esp. in the multi-moniter area. I have yet to see something as easy the win-key+p hot-key.
I've never found placing the Displays System Preferences on the Menu Bar in conjunction with DejaMenu a bad way to handle multiple screens.

QUOTE(murkurie @ Jul 18 2010, 04:40 PM) Again, I repeat it's up to preference, and what your needs are. OSX does not support my needs. Windows 7 supports it.
My thoughts exactly.

QUOTE(Linkiboy @ Jul 18 2010, 05:18 PM)
I never dissed the Atom. But it's ridiculous to compare it to a C2D. I have a hackint0sh on an Atom too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM