Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arghargh200 said:
Here's all the stuff I dislike.

1) The Text Editor: It didn't encode my files to look nice in a Windows/NDS text editor. I had to go through it and fix the new line markers.
2)I hate the compatibility. NO WAY to run Windows applications without using a cross-platform application. And even then you have to buy one.1) Easily solved by using a third-party editor, which you should be doing anyways as both notepad.exe and TextEdit.app are pretty awful.
2) There is a wine build for OSX, in addition to access to many VMs of both free and commercial variety.

amptor2) foxconn workers are underpaid and loathe life so they commit suicide #1 reason I do not support this company
3) a mac computer is a PC that can exclusively run mac os for x86 cpus. it is an overpriced PC!
4) I can buy a macbook pro core i7 for $2199 with the same exact features as a Dell or HP Core i7 for $1199. that is $1000 of price difference. I could have two laptops for the price of one!
5) mac osx is stripped down when you buy the computer unless you bundle MICROSOFT OFFICE with it LMAO. look how many toys are in Windows 7 to play with bone stock opposed to very little to do in a boring osx environment
6) software support. macs are notorious for lacking software you can buy or download from the internet
2) Foxconn makes chipsets for a large number of PC vendors. I assume you don't support anyone who uses such boards in their machines?
3) Macs can run Windows quite easily.
4) So focusing on the lack of price parity for a single product is what you're basing your view of the entire company product line on?
5) You judge operating systems solely based on what random shit they come with? I'd love to hear a list of those essential "toys" that are Windows exclusives.
6) Outside of the gaming category this is not particularly relevant. There's probably 100 times as much Windows software out there, but most of it is terrible and/or redundant. While this wasn't so much the case in the past, nowadays you really don't have much trouble finding OSX software to fill the majority of your needs.

There are valid deficiencies of the platform, but you both seem to focus on stupid shit instead.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the closed-ness of it. An iPad is fucking useless because you can't customize it worth a shit, you're limited to apple's shitty app store unless you jailbreak, which makes you give up quite a bit. An iPod is the same thing. A mac is useless because it's very overpriced and ubuntu does the job twice as well for a fourth of the price and you can triple boot on most laptops. Basically apple's products don't allow everything you can do with linux and windows.

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main reason I'm using Windows is for gaming, aside from that I think macs are great. If you don't like the lack of a right click, stop being a cheapskate and spend $10 on a normal mouse. I'm using one on my old mac.

@Chao1212- What do you give up by jailbreaking? Nothing aside from getting updates as soon as they come out, and most of those are only to stop jailbreaking. However, I think the iPad would be WAY better if it used a touch-optimised version of OS X as opposed to iOS.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
It's the closed-ness of it. An iPad is fucking useless because you can't customize it worth a shit, you're limited to apple's shitty app store unless you jailbreak, which makes you give up quite a bit.What exactly are you giving up by jailbreaking?

Spoiler: nothing

QUOTEA mac is useless because it's very overpriced and ubuntu does the job twice as well for a fourth of the price and you can triple boot on most laptops. Basically apple's products don't allow everything you can do with linux and windows.
Ubuntu is a piece of shit. It's essentially a Linux-based clone of OSX which is bloated, buggy, and horribly unintuitive.

If you're going the *nix route, then take advantage of the fact that it's not Windows or OSX rather than replicating the bloat.

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
QUOTE said:
A mac is useless because it's very overpriced and ubuntu does the job twice as well for a fourth of the price and you can triple boot on most laptops. Basically apple's products don't allow everything you can do with linux and windows.
Ubuntu is a piece of shit. It's essentially a Linux-based clone of OSX which is bloated, buggy, and horribly unintuitive.

If you're going the *nix route, then take advantage of the fact that it's not Windows or OSX rather than replicating the bloat.
It's only really a clone if you're using Kubuntu, which is awful.

Kentoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Arguing that OS X is better because it can run Windows in VM or via dual-boot is possibly the stupidest argument anyone could make about anything ever.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ImperialX said:
Games. Mac OS X definitely have far fewer games than Windows. Even though Steam is running on OS X now, Windows will most likely always have more games than OS X. Macs are also more expensive and not very economical for gamers. However, gamers represent a very small niche in the entire userbase. Using the fact that Mac OS X lacks gaming capabilities to put it down as a good computer is absurd. Most people who buy Macs are not wanting to game anyway. When the occasional urge comes, they can even boot into Windows to play games, and the problem is solved.
why use macs for gaming when you can get computers designed for gaming to play your games?
or just get a console xD.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kentoss said:
Arguing that OS X is better because it can run Windows in VM or via dual-boot is possibly the stupidest argument anyone could make about anything ever.
Setting aside the fact that you've completely misconstrued the point of that post, how is being able to run software from another platform not a benefit?

Arguing that a useful feature is not a benefit to the platform is possibly the stupidest argument anyone could make about anything ever.

Kentoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
Kentoss said:
Setting aside the fact that you've completely misconstrued the point of that post, how is being able to run software from another platform not a benefit?

Arguing that a useful feature is not a benefit to the platform is possibly the stupidest argument anyone could make about anything ever.

I didn't say it wasn't a benefit. Please don't misunderstand my post. I said it doesn't make the operating system better than Windows.

QUOTE(Kentoss @ Jul 18 2010, 08:18 PM)
Arguing that OS X is better because [...]

See? Now, before you say, "Okay, then how does being able to run both OS X software AND Windows software at the same time not make it better?" I'm going to answer that preemptively.

This feature does not make OS X better because if OS X was really the better than Windows it wouldn't need to emulate or dual-boot Windows to get your general tasks done. In a typical environment, workflow is key. Having to boot into 2 operating systems simultaneously (or switching between the two, which is even worse) is not only insane to be required to do, but also doesn't make sense if you're saying that OS X is already a better machine. Using Windows on a Mac is like having a prosthetic limb replacement to fix what you're missing.

Whereas I've never seen anyone bother or even attempt to boot into OS X via VM. Why? There's no point. A Windows machine is already the swiss army knife of computers. It doesn't need to boot into OS X to play games or use programs made for OS X because there's already an equivalent or better on the operating system.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
urza the way you start and carry conversation does not really warrant me to go any further on debate about this topic. if you want me to have an apple so much, then buy me one.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Salax said:
The main reason I'm using Windows is for gaming, aside from that I think macs are great. If you don't like the lack of a right click, stop being a cheapskate and spend $10 on a normal mouse. I'm using one on my old mac.
If you were a cheapskate, I don't think you would have a mac.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kentoss said:
This feature does not make OS X better because if OS X was really the better than Windows it wouldn't need to emulate or dual-boot Windows to get your general tasks done. In a typical environment, workflow is key. Having to boot into 2 operating systems simultaneously (or switching between the two, which is even worse) is not only insane to be required to do, but also doesn't make sense if you're saying that OS X is already a better machine. Using Windows on a Mac is like having a prosthetic limb replacement to fix what you're missing.Except I don't have to dual-boot Windows to get my general tasks done. It's mainly for corner cases in which a piece of software in a niche category has no OSX equivalent (WinHIIP and Quix for example, to transfer ISOs to PS2/Xbox hdds). Neither of those applications requires a VM for functionality, and thus its as simple as running them as a normal OSX binary (via wine with system hooks). There is no alteration to my work-flow, making your point completely irrelevant (it was largely based on incorrect assumptions anyways).

The argument that VMs interfere with one's work-flow to the degree of "insanity" is quite insane itself. It's as simple as moving my cursor over to the VM window and interacting with it as I would any other window. If you really wanted that GUI integration, both of the leading modern VM suites support a mode which renders all in-VM windows within the native WM, thus being little difference than running it natively.

QUOTEWhereas I've never seen anyone bother or even attempt to boot into OS X via VM. Why? There's no point. A Windows machine is already the swiss army knife of computers. It doesn't need to boot into OS X to play games or use programs made for OS X because there's already an equivalent or better on the operating system.
Number one signal of a "fanboy": Assuming that everyone values the same qualities you do at the same level.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magmorph said:
Salax said:
If you were a cheapskate, I don't think you would have a mac.
yeah, Macs are way to expensive for what they do, or rather, don't do.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
QUOTE said:
Whereas I've never seen anyone bother or even attempt to boot into OS X via VM. Why? There's no point. A Windows machine is already the swiss army knife of computers. It doesn't need to boot into OS X to play games or use programs made for OS X because there's already an equivalent or better on the operating system.
Number one signal of a "fanboy": Assuming that everyone values the same qualities you do at the same level.
Can you give an example of a quality of OS X that would be worth booting it in VM?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magmorph said:
Urza said:
QUOTE said:
Can you give an example of a quality of OS X that would be worth booting it in VM?
For the most part the main two reasons to run any platform in a VM is to:

1) Either test the platform or native software.
2) Run a specific application which is exclusive to that platform.

I can't speak for you or anyone else on whether or not these apply to you, although I can assume you have little experience with the platform and thus no favorite/necessary exclusive software in mind. One that comes to mind for myself would be GarageSale (simply brilliant eBay lister), and if it wasn't my platform of choice would probably run in a VM.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sixteenbuttons said:
the future is mac... all of you just accept it.
Lies.

With more people becoming Computer Literate, more people will want to modify, tweak, and increase the performance/appearance of their machines. This something not possible on a Mac.
Plus, when something breaks, which happens, one would either have to buy a whole new Mac or simply replace the part on a PC.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
sixteenbuttons said:
Lies.

With more people becoming Computer Literate, more people will want to modify, tweak, and increase the performance/appearance of their machines. This something not possible on a Mac.
Plus, when something breaks, which happens, one would either have to buy a whole new Mac or simply replace the part on a PC.
Yet Apple's market share continues to increase?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
_Chaz_ said:
sixteenbuttons said:
Lies.

Yet Apple's market share continues to increase?
Some people prefer to think in short terms. A lot of people never consider what comes next when buying a personal computer. PC users are guilty as well.

Plus, Apple also manufactures iPods, iPhones, and iPads. These things no doubt adds to their market share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3