Myfitnesspal has been hacked.

• Thread starter Deleted-355425
  • Start date
  • Views 2,679
  • Replies 33
  • Likes 3
D

Deleted-355425

150 million user accounts tied to its MyFitnessPal nutrition-tracking app was breached earlier this year and the sheer scope of the attack affected a user base that’s bigger than the population of Japan making it one of the largest breaches on record.

An unauthorized party stole data from the accounts in late February

NOT taken:
Payment-card information.
Government-issued identifiers.
Social Security numbers.
Driver’s license numbers.

taken:
User names.
Email addresses.
Password data.

Change your Passwords and any other accounts that shared your passwords, id also add 2 factor to anything you can in the future.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah that was an ill thought out hack.

Thought we might get contact info for some fit women but it was just full of fat cunts.

More seriously is it just contact info? That much info could make for some serious data analysis.

On a different note
Government-issued identifiers.
Social Security numbers.
Driver’s license numbers.
Why would your fitness thing even need such info or is it downplaying/boilerplate response?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I have a Myplate account from a class project. Don't remember if I entered personal information. So many accounts I made through the internet if an account got hacked then I wouldn't know. I can't keep up with them all. I hardly ever enter personal information like SS. If a site asks for that then i'm out. Not joining. I don't trust them with my information.

do you even lift? TC

i don't think any tempers even know what exactly is fitness and its benefits, no one even care about that.
Not just temp but the entire United States. 2/3 of the Adult population is either overweight or obese. 1/6 kids are obese.

U.K., Australia, Mexico, Canada are pretty bad too.
Samoa, Tonga and Kiribati are even worse. 4/5 are overweight or obese.
Kuwait, Qatar, Libya, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt. 75% of population is overweight.
Nauru is the worst of them all 61% obese. This isn't even overweight, its obesity which is worse.

The world is getting fatter. People should take advice from Japan.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Its a shame really as this website is the best for counting/scanning food to work out macros.

How does that work out? I never count calories because its really inconvenient. Its just more work for me to keep track of all this. I just let my body tell me how much I should eat or not. If i'm full I stop. If i'm hungry then I eat. It has worked well for me so far. I'm neither overweight or underweight. I limit junk food although I eat it every week, sometimes daily if its available. But I do limit junk food intake and try not to eat too much. And I don't drink much soda either. It's mostly just water for me.

Last edited by SG854,
D

Deleted-355425

You can eat what you want when you are young, when you get older your metabolic rate slows down so its good to be able see what particular foods contain what. Carbs/fats and proteins etc.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
How does that work out? I never count calories because its really inconvenient. Its just more work for me to keep track of all this. I just let my body tell me how much I should eat or not. If i'm full I stop. If i'm hungry then I eat. It has worked well for me so far. I'm neither overweight or underweight. I limit junk food although I eat it every week, sometimes daily if its available. But I do limit junk food intake and try not to eat too much. And I don't drink much soda either. It's mostly just water for me.

Lucky you. I need to lose 20 lbs.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
You can eat what you want when you are young, when you get older your metabolic rate slows down so its good to be able see what particular foods contain what. Carbs/fats and proteins etc.

I'm in my mid 20's. And my natural diet is giving me all the nutrients I need I recently checked with a physician. I think cutting soda is a real benefit. I was watching a weight show earlier and the nutritionist said most people that are overweight actually have a normal metabolism. But of course if you eat more than you burn off and need, even if you have a fast metabolism you'll still gain weight. Portion sizes has also gone up in the U.S. they give you more food than what they use too.

Lucky you. I need to lose 20 lbs.
Well I was heavy into sports when I was young. And I use to Skateboard a lot. Practically daily. If I wanted to go somewhere I would skate there. I never passed 130 lbs in my life. And i'm not tall either so thats not a low weight for me. I do keep cautious though and try not to over do the eating.

Last edited by SG854,
D

Deleted-355425

there is no secret to weight loss, its cals in and what you burn a day, either way this is getting off topic.

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honestly more surprised that anyone uses/used this 'my fitness' app in the first place.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is social security required for an account? I don't see why it would even be an option.
I pondered the same thing earlier.
I figure it is either

People hear data loss and immediate jump to conclusions. The little list then being a direct "this was not lot" type quote.
People look for a positive in the story. If it is something as disposable as usernames, emails and password hashes (note however no mention of whether the database was properly salted) and anything nothing valuable was taken then yeah. Basically a tactic used to sort of bury bad news.

Anyway I am still genuinely curious about the actual data the service collected. 150 million counts of a dietary log would make for some nice data to poke at, and given most studies would consider themselves awesome for getting 1000 individuals for their data. Potentially kind of scary from a "big data" angle though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, what's pokerogue?