Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

Ziver.W

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I don't know if there is possibility. but i hope so.
you can just paste out your current fw version, and let other find a game with not too much later fw version.
since playing a game would force you to install its fw (if you got a older version), you would not goes too long - if you don't think keeping 3ds away from newest updates is essential, you can just connect to 3ds eshop and let it download the update (not a good suggestion, if you got interested in hacking it after then). anyways iirc there seems to be no one tried that before (oh well you can try contact someone on efnet.org #3dsdev to see if such a method can been tried already).
if you have the proper ability you can try it, though.
你最近去哪里了?

Fergamesy2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i have a blue screen in a normal 3ds (error 8046, 0000...22, i think) without do any modification. mi guess is, if is an error of the software, doing a nand dump, and finding the bad file, if one day we learn haw it works, it will be possible to fix it? or is it possible already?

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've been lurking these forums for many many years, but this thread made me register up and post.
There was a question asking if you could effectively clone a 3DS via NAND dump and system transfer. The answer is yes, it works just fine with a caveat; if you open the store you *will* lose all your cloned games on the transfer host system and it will reconfigure itself as if it were new.
You can however play multiplayer between the two just fine. It really sucks that Nintendo refuses to adopt a proven iTunes-esque account system.

Pictures for the interested:

EDIT:

To help people avoid bricking their systems, do multiple dumps and compare the md5 hash for each, they should all match.
Finally, open your dump in a hexeditor; if you see a header like this one then you should be golden (no copyright infringing material contained within this).

Code:
=K.."s..=M.j!.......kr.......{\q.....oQ.#H?m. `R.i~T...`H9.Q.....!.......T...z..J.....m\.....Hg.n..e.]c.=.....XEN..?S..C.....u..0...\yN...F1..y.M!...-..nq.=..r....G. ?Mk.N..iQG.......?u....It..z.s..'.N...-J.\..'.G..D.V.!...c.8g.E....#.-.....$M..}1Sm..Vz..(NCSD.

So, if you transfered games from system A to system B, restore NAND on system A, can you transfer the restored games from system A to a system C?

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
So, if you transfered games from system A to system B, restore NAND on system A, can you transfer the restored games from system A to a system C?
Possibly, but each console can only be transferred a maximum of 5 times (and that info is stored at Nintendo) so you won't be able to do this infinitely.

In fact, given that the transfer process involves Nintendo's servers, they may notice that you've already transferred that exact content from that console once and not let you transfer it again. It would be an interesting experiment if anyone is willing to try it.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Possibly, but each console can only be transferred a maximum of 5 times (and that info is stored at Nintendo) so you won't be able to do this infinitely.

In fact, given that the transfer process involves Nintendo's servers, they may notice that you've already transferred that exact content from that console once and not let you transfer it again. It would be an interesting experiment if anyone is willing to try it.

The limit is applied to the transfered content, not to the console itself, so this only applies on the target console only if it got transfered an eshop account. I hope this thing works because I just bought a second 3ds for this (which I would try to sell if things go wrong).

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i really need some clarification here and sorry for the revive cause i just saw this thread(sorry for that)

Things i want and i wanna ask..
I have a 3ds xl 4.5 and a 3ds 6.2
I was thinking of a system transfer from the 3ds to the 3ds xl...but i have to update
So im thinking of dumping it..do the transfer and downgrade back to 4.5....is it gonna work?

Also i have all things needed for the soldering (15w solderer,and soldering skills)
Im just missing a good guide for it. Unless i should read the whole thread

Any help and response is very appreciated!

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
To be specific, you can dump the 3DS XL at 4.5, do the system update to 6.3 and the system transfer, then take another dump of the 3DS XL at 6.3. You then have two dumps of the 3DS XL that you can restore - a 4.5 that will work with Gateway but which won't contain the transferred content, and a 6.3 dump that will has the transferred content but won't work with Gateway. You'll be able to switch between the two, although it does take a few minutes and access to a PC to do the switch.

Now that the Gateway has NAND emulation, I wonder if it's possible to upload the hardware-dumped 6.3 NAND into the Gateway and run that, rather than having to flash it to the 3DS XL built-in NAND?

Reactions: hashcheck1
P

pasc

This mod works wonderful on my 3DS XL.

However

My normal 3DS however will only show this in the diskmgmt:
3DS_bad_reader.png

Removable Drive (E:954MB) 954 MB
Write protected Not assigned

and this when trying to read it:

3DS_read_error_%28bad_reader%29.png

Did anyone have this aswell and can tell me what I'm doing wrong ?

P

pasc

Using another reader will only lead to the PC not recognizing the 3DS.

Shortening the Cables ?

How short exactly ?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wires are naturally resisting, so if they are too long, the signal will be resisted too much
That's my theory anyhow.
Another theory could be based on the fact that wires are also small inductors, which might mess with the signal...?

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Did anyone have this aswell and can tell me what I'm doing wrong ?

Wires are naturally resisting, so if they are too long, the signal will be resisted too much
That's my theory anyhow.

While the above theory is true, and yes, a longer cable will be more prone to pick up noise, in my experience, the problem is as good as always the soldering. I don't know how many failed mods I've fixed for friends, colleagues, etc through the years, by just redoing the soldering for them :)

It's very hard to spot cold joints visually when the solder points are this small, if you don't know exactly what to look for. I'd say your best bet is to try to do the soldering by the books, and hope for the best. Watch a few Youtube vids on soldering, practice a bit on some old PCB trying to simulate what you want to do in the 3DS, then redo the mod.

Also, liquid flux does wonders compared to the colophony that's usually baked into the soldering wire; in my opinion it's a must when doing this kind of jobs. Just don't forget to clean the PCB afterwards, the flux residues are corrosive.

Reactions: pelago

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just for the record, I wasn't saying that long wires are likely to be the cause. I was just answering mr. fancypant's question as to why the length of the wire would even matter at all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a