Homebrew nds-constrain't - Taking advantage of a flaw in the Nintendo DS(i) SSL library

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm. I was thinking the earlier game discussions but that would potentially be troubling.
On the other hand this is more utterly basic "authentication" and matchmaking rather than an MMO style server generating/serving real content.

The earlier exception for authentication servers, specifically rules out any kind of matchmaking

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015...ght-to-revive-games-behind-abandoned-servers/

"The LoC placed some important limitations on this new legal right, though. For one, gamers can't legally work to restore online gameplay in titles that required a defunct central server to coordinate such play. Creating third-party matchmaking tools, the LoC argued, would necessarily run afoul of the DMCA's "anti-trafficking provision," which prevents the wide distribution of tools that circumvent DRM and TPM. "

Although I'm not sure if they assumed you would have to illegally hack the binary or console to do it, as this method doesn't require that.

Last edited by smf,

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searching for people for Mario kart
Friend code
Friend code might not really be necessary if I’m the only one to search for

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
It's worth noting that DSi-enhanced games like Pokémon Black/White and DSiWare titles work fine on a WPA/WPA2-secured access point. Other than that, great work!

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It's worth noting that DSi-enhanced games like Pokémon Black/White and DSiWare titles work fine on a WPA/WPA2-secured access point. Other than that, great work!
How can you get DSi-enhanced games to work on WPA2? I still get the "security not supported" message no matter the game in DS mode...

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So anyway to create a WEP hotspot through a computer?

I tried Connectify but it only supports WPA
Curious about it too honestly. I'm using netsh commands in order to go online on the 3DS in general, but as far as I know that only makes a WPA2 connection...

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm so glad I bought one of these when we didn't have Wi-Fi at home.
iu

d4mation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so glad I bought one of these when we didn't have Wi-Fi at home.
iu

I picked up one of these a while back without the software disc and the only way I could make it work was with some modified drivers and only on Windows XP.

Have you been able to run it on anything more modern?

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I still have the disc, and it works perfectly on Windows Vista. I haven't tried on more recent OS though.
Can't someone create a software that simulates a Nintendo Wi-Fi dongle?
Wi-Fi is hardware based. You can't "create" Wi-Fi out of software. You can hotspot it, but it will offer no advantages over just changing your router settings.

Last edited by medoli900,

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
How can you get DSi-enhanced games to work on WPA2? I still get the "security not supported" message no matter the game in DS mode...
They should work by default as long as you have the WPA2 access point set in your internet settings. If you're using TWiLightMenu++ (aka DSiMenu++), I don't think WPA2 is supported (yet).

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
There are a lot of people with concerns about WEP security or inability to accomodate an extra AP on their existing router or objections to using WEP because it downgrades speed to 54Mbps. If you have any old routers lying around, you can connect them to your current router's ethernet ports or your desktop via internet connection sharing, and use them as dedicated devices solely for WFC(plug cable into WAN port and configure DHCP or Static IP). If you do so, your options for security can be improved. Here's what you can do with a WFC-only dedicated device:

-open instead of shared key
-13-character password with reasonable length and good password-choosing practices
-MAC filter to allow only DS-capable device(s) that can actually use the AP
-exclusive use of the WFC DNS without any secondaries like 8.8.8.8 and such
-if possible, setting DNS override and authoritative mode on
-allocating specific IPs to the connecting devices and disabling DHCP
-firewall or port rules that block or send traffic nowhere from any other IPs other than the allowed ones
-blocking port 53 on firewall rules from any address except the WFC DNS; this prevents an attacker from setting their own custom DNS to resolve hosts and browse the web regardless of the limitations of the WFC DNS
-firewall or port rules that block access to the router's UI together with making the interface accessible only from the WAN port via remote administration; this will protect the router from attackers sniffing the wifi to decrypt login packets; if you do not enable and verify that remote management works before you block LAN UI access, you will lock yourself out of your device!
-activate client isolation if possible
-limit max simultaneous wifi devices to the number of devices you can use on WFC
-set router to B-mode only, disable G, N, AC etc.; this will further deter attackers from using an AP that has very poor speeds and the DS only supports B speeds anyway
-possibly spoof wifi MAC with a made-up value; since MACs can give away your router model/manufacturer and attackers might know of firmware vulnerabilities for the device
-disable telnet, SSH, WPS on your device if it has these

Any attacker that gets on will find they need to do massive amounts of work just to get on, and will need to catch an actual session to figure out a MAC they can use. Then an IP which works cause they'll have to do a static config. Then - if even possible - make a third party DNS work. And the speed will be crap. They may not even be able to get proper internet going nor can they snoop the rest of your network. That said, they may still be able to knock you offline by MAC spoofing but most likely, the attacker will just get quickly bored/annoyed and give up.

Last edited by Searinox,
D

Deleted User

Introducing nds-constraint!
After many years of trying to find a solution for hackless custom Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection servers, a solution has finally been found for the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo DSi system families!
Details on how it works, instructions on how to set it up for yourself, and Kaeru Team's official Kaeru WFC server that utilizes this new method can be found below:

https://github.com/KaeruTeam/nds-constraint

For those who just want to play online, here's the DNS server info:
Primary: 178.62.43.212
Secondary: 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8
DS browser?

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
They should work by default as long as you have the WPA2 access point set in your internet settings. If you're using TWiLightMenu++ (aka DSiMenu++), I don't think WPA2 is supported (yet).
It doesn't work on Black for me regardless of using a cart or nds-bootstrap though, I have to register the access point in the settings for it to work but it says it's not supported. WEP on nds-bootstrap works fine though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated