Hacking NDSSFC/CATSFC revival

What sort of additional hotkeys do you want?

• Total voters

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CATSFC 1.32 has been released. It takes Aeter's suggestion to start the text of UI options to the left, and takes it to the next level. Now, cheat names, file names and recently played games are also expanded, displaying about 5 more characters up-front.

The problem with the plugin arguments not finding the right CATSFC directory has also been fixed. You can place the CATSFC system directory at the root of a card even with custom menus like BAGPlug and iMenu.

For this release I tried (and failed) to get controls to sync up with higher FPS because, in another experimental project, it works correctly. The sequence of events should be "get controls, send sound, send video", but even using this sequence, Super Mario World hangs controls for 2 entire seconds every so often.

So this is a minor release.

Reactions: 2ndApex

slenkar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using pates transfer system for the DSTWO?

(the guy who made the dos emulator for DSTWO improved the transfer between card and DS)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just came to chime in and say congrats and compliment the amount of positive work you've managed to do regarding improving the emulation capability of this app on the DStwo.

Used to be that I used to swap between SnemulDS and NDSSFC (or one of its forks) to get to play my SNES games. the improvements I've seen so far have just about made your build of it my go-to emulator on the DS, and easily on par with Snes9x on my PSP... only Snes9x on my Galaxy S II phone seems to top them now, as far as mobile emulation is concerned. :)

Please keep up the good work, and I look forward to your continued efforts. :)

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CATSFC 1.32 has been picked up on the Chinese Supercard BBS: http://bbs.supercard.sc/thread-45450-1-1.html "A foreigner has modified the SFC emulator into CATSFC 1.32". Unfortunately the Simplified Chinese text in the emulator is half-missing because I added so many new options.

Can the Chinese NDSSFC/CATSFC users watch for replies about that issue, and possibly get translations to me? Thanks. :)

E: Syphurith translated the text to Mandarin as post #124 of the TempGBA thread. I'll need to make a 1.33 release with it. Thanks! With that new release, the Mandarin users will be able to pick it up and play in their native tongue :)

Reactions: codezer0

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CATSFC 1.33, the Text Changes Edition, is now released.
* Centers text without needing endless spaces in message boxes; also supports \n in multiline messages. Mainly of interest to those adding stuff in language.msg, but text should stop cutting oddly now.
* Brazilian Portuguese: In Frequencia da CPU, the first word should be Frequência. Thanks to Diego Liberal.
* Simplified Chinese is complete again.

This version is intended to go on the official Supercard plugins page. I'm discussing this with the Supercard team's sales person right now.

Reactions: ferret7463

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you add controller switching? (Use hot-keys to switch between Controller 1 and Controller 2, much like the NES virtual console for the 3DS)
How many games would that be useful for? In my recent memory I can only find one game, and that's a Super Mario World ROM hack in which there's a special block that changes the control acceptance from controller 1 to controller 2 -- if you were on a real SNES, when you passed that block, the controller you were just using would not work. For that game, I thought of simply replicating the DS controls to SNES controllers 1 and 2. Do some games need special controls sent to only one controller?

I try to see new text that night.
Is the messages in TempGBA ready to translate?
I took the CATSFC text for TempGBA; I can add a lot of options in TempGBA before I need a translation for even one of them. The hotkeys stuff I was planning to copy from CATSFC is already in TempGBA, for example.

When I have a need for more translated text, I'll put out a call for translators in the TempGBA thread. :)

Tiger21820

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo3dscentral.com
XP
Country
United States
I mean for games that use co-op rather than alternating turns (e.g. Super Mario Kart & Mario Bros. battle in Super Mario All Stars use co-op).

Or you use an in-emulator option to change between Player 1 and Player 2.

How it would work would be if, for example, you are playing a game such as Super Mario Kart in 2-player mode, and want to race with Player 2, you would go to the emulator menu and then select "Controller 2" so then you would then be driving player 2's kart and when you want to control player 1 again, you go to emulator menu and then select "Controller 1" and then you would then be controlling player 1's kart.

The emulator currently uses Player 1's input by default, and there is no way to switch to Player 2's input, which makes some game modes not work.

What I am trying to say is to emulate two controller inputs by changing an option to switch between the 2 controllers.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean for games that use co-op rather than alternating turns (e.g. Super Mario Kart & Mario Bros. battle in Super Mario All Stars use co-op).
To effectively do co-op, each player has to have his/her own set of keys. In Mario Kart each player would have to be able to press his/her A button while the other player presses Left and Right to turn. In Super Mario All-Stars' Super Mario Bros. 3 battle mode, each player has to be able to press Left, Right and B to jump away from an attack or to jump on the other player.

Unless there was some twisted agreed-upon protocol for key passing, that would kill the controls for one player while the other is playing. And even if there was some kind of agreed-upon protocol, that would kill some controls for the player whose "turn" on the DS controller just ended. A protocol like "all keys that stayed pressed on the controller while the hotkey was pressed, except the keys used in the hotkey, stay pressed for the origin SNES controller while the target controller is being fed buttons from the DS, until there's another switch". There are only exactly as many buttons on a SNES as there are on a DS...

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
well i could see allowing switching from player one to player two to enter cheats in games like super street fighter 2 or allowing 2 player on one system in super Mario world also there are other games like this idk if it needs a hot key just maybe an option somewhere in the menu.

LeonardoFM

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nebuleon, thanks for your huge efforts to bring us a better Snes experience.

I've got some questions: how's input lag for Super Metroid in the latest release (1.32, i assume)?

Is the game fully playable?

How is the sound?

Is the screen tearing bearable?

Thank you, man... And please keep up the excellent work!

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nebuleon, thanks for your huge efforts to bring us a better Snes experience.

I've gotu some questions: how's input lag for Super Metroid in the latest release (1.32, i assume)?

Is the game fully playable?

Howt is the sound?

Is the screen tearing bearable?

Thank you, man... And please keep up the excellent work!
Read the full topic and you'll find rydian's testing to be sufficient to answer your questions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)