NDSTokyoTrim Dev.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.eden.fm
XP
Country
Hi there guys,

There's a bunch of Rom managers around already, so you'll wonder why another one. Well, I've tried a few of them and (with the utmost respect to the programmers for their amazing work and contribution) I don't feel like any of them suits my needs, so here I am starting a new one. Just liked happened with my trimmer when I didn't find any suitable trimmers around that would trim 30 GB of roms, keeping the wifi info, and not locking up the computer in the process, so NDSTokyoTrim was born and is a today a very successful and known application in this community with thousands of downloads every month
smile.gif

"Why anounce it before it's ready" you'll ask. I have a very good reason. I want to ask you guys what you would like to see in it. What features you want and others lack, tell me your needs and expectations, and if they make sense I will work on them. Just like happened with my trimmer, most of the current features are requests and ideas from its users which I took very seriously and make today's tokyo trimmer
smile.gif

Here are my initial ideas:

- Support both NDS and GBA roms, using the same methods as my trimmer.
- Support rar, zip and 7-zip without extra DLLs needed in the disk, just like NDSTokyoTrim does today, very portable!
- Compatible with Linux/wine (just like my trimmer)
- You can expect it to be extremelly fast. If you use my trimmer you know what I mean
wink.gif

- Trimming of both NDS and GBA roms in a batch. Expect the same features of my trimmer here (bricker detection, proper wifi detection, fix of wrong trims, sram paching etc)
- Various tags to mark roms you've already played, set a score, some comments. I think this is very important because most people downloads 2000 roms and plays only a few.
- Many sorting options (size, region, name, trimmed, wifi, homebrew etc)
- Absolutely NO NEED FOR .NET framework. You will never see an app from me which requires that crap.

So here we start, let's discuss this!
smile.gif

(btw, this is the trimmer I'm talking about if you don't know about it yet: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=55162)

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, NDSTokyoTrim is awesome, so I'll watch this one
smile.gif
I currently only use OfflineList to rename my roms and 7zip them. If your software can do the same and support OfflineList dats, I will certainly try it!

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I love NDSTokyoTrim and use it all the time, it is by far, one of the best trimmers I ever uased and I can't wait to see how this project turns out. I will be keeping my eye on it. Hmm, perhaps you can intergrate the cheat database I maintain into it or such. Download the the cheat.xml file and show what games have cheats and whats cheats are available for that Nintendo DS game, ect.

At any rate, I like the proposed features so far, keep up the good work.

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i use offlinelist & RToolDS & i think there awesome togetter but RToolDS does not support GBA management so ill give your nds/gba manager a go when you make it

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
helpme said:
i use offlinelist & RToolDS & i think there awesome togetter but RToolDS does not support GBA management so ill give your nds/gba manager a go when you make it
I tried to use RToolDS, but I didn't really like it.

Oh wait, that would be a nice feature: an option to view nfo-files, combined with the awesomeness that OfflineList is
biggrin.gif

dogman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
shared comments and reviews (votes from 0 to 10)
Favorites list (to mark best roms.. maybe a local voting system and a worldwide voitng system based on the average of the local ones)
Automatic .sav management (when I delete a rom from my SD, make it copy the sav to the hard drive. When I copy the rom back to the SD, show a list of the .savs available, with the last one selected by default, and copy the rom along with the .sav to the SD)
Read roms from different sources
tongue.gif

That's it for now... I would love to see those
smile.gif

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One reason I was looking for a manager before was to check if the rom was clean. Perhaps a feature to check the CRC or some value to see if the rom is clean. I'm guessing that this would be hard to implement for compressed roms? Also, maybe a way to add your own entries into the database. I stopped using a manager because I couldn't really edit the database easily to add roms that I patched (like the JUS patch, and others of the sort).

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Saylient_Dreams said:
One reason I was looking for a manager before was to check if the rom was clean. Perhaps a feature to check the CRC or some value to see if the rom is clean. I'm guessing that this would be hard to implement for compressed roms? Also, maybe a way to add your own entries into the database. I stopped using a manager because I couldn't really edit the database easily to add roms that I patched (like the JUS patch, and others of the sort).

Actually, its easier to implement rom validation with compressed ROMs simply due to the compressed archives store the CRC value of the game in the archive of the file to validate against once its decompressed to verify its not corrupted. So its simply a matter of checking the stored CRC value in the archive against that in a database,

BrianTokyo

NDSTokyoTrim Dev.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.eden.fm
XP
Country
Narin said:
Saylient_Dreams said:

Actually, its easier to implement rom validation with compressed ROMs simply due to the compressed archives store the CRC value of the game in the archive of the file to validate against once its decompressed to verify its not corrupted. So its simply a matter of checking the stored CRC value in the archive against that in a database,

NDS roms also have a header CRC though, you need the uncompressed rom for that.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
BrianTokyo said:
Narin said:
Saylient_Dreams said:

Oh I know, but most ROM auditors I found store the CRC value of the actual NDS file instead of the internal CRC header to verify that the entire file is clean instead since its not that hard to edit the game and add in false headers into it.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I want is a program that works offline (updated online, of course, but....) where I can type in a game name and it will tell me what ROM number it is.

If such a program already exists, please tell me what it is.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
All I want is a program that works offline (updated online, of course, but....) where I can type in a game name and it will tell me what ROM number it is.

1. Download a numbered DAT file
2. Open in text editor
3. Press CTRL+F
4. Type the game name
5. Click OK

BrianTokyo

NDSTokyoTrim Dev.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.eden.fm
XP
Country
kazumi213 said:
Rayder said:

1. Download a numbered DAT file
2. Open in text editor
3. Press CTRL+F
4. Type the game name
5. Click OK

If people wanted to bother doing that there'd be no purpose in making rom managers.

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
BrianTokyo said:
Narin said:
Saylient_Dreams said:

Oh I know, but most ROM auditors I found store the CRC value of the actual NDS file instead of the internal CRC header to verify that the entire file is clean instead since its not that hard to edit the game and add in false headers into it.

Wow, forgot that archives store the CRC value, lol, and I just used that to verify something >.>

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
I love to see DAT file support for renaming, 7z archiving, filename filtering (type something in a text box and the manager will show files that contain that text).

My dream function would be rom merging using No-intro's parent rom dat. This would archive the roms into one 7z/rar file that are the same game but from different regions using 7z/rar solid compression. This sames a ton of space.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
Dat files are used by rom managers like clrmamepro and offlinelist to identify and rename roms. I don't really know much more than that but I'm guessing they contain the roms crc, release number, filename, region, languages etc. Why make your own when the work has already been done?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, what are some 10/10 games?