Gaming Need Advice on Building a PC

W.I.C.K.E.D.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cermage said:
except rosewill's are notorious as shit to destroy systems. most builders wouldn't go within 10ft of rosewill. for most of their supplies they use the lower end of the power supply manufacturers, that said there are some gems and they're the ones you'll find a fair bit of talk on. from memory the RG series are made by ABS, which do make very hit or miss power supplies. there's a fair bit research to be had on budget power supplies and its not always as clear cut as a bunch of advertised ratings.

I've had a rosewill psu for quite some time, it's a 600w performance series. Thing runs like a beast. I could do without the blue LEDs though, but whatever. I will agree with staying away from budget PSUs, they are shit usually but you might luck out. I've had one's that have died out within a year and some that have lasted longer, as it is truly a hit or miss product. That rosewill psu doesn't have horrible reviews either, besides you will always find bad reviews on almost any product. DOA happens in electronics. Regardless, there are plenty of other PSUs that are in the same price range that are of even better quality, I put that list together on short notice just to prove he could save money.

QUOTE(Originality @ Apr 29 2010, 11:35 AM) Sims 3 running off a HD4200... somehow that doesn't sound very impressive, but you make a very good point
I haven't tried to run many games (at least ones I play cause they wouldn't) off of integrated chips. I had to RMA a power supply (back when that game was released) that was acting funny and I noticed my wife playing the Sims 3 off just the onboard. I had to put another PSU in until mine got returned, but it wasn't strong enough to run the GPU I had so I removed it until the RMA got returned. I was only suprised because even though the specs for that game aren't high, they aren't junk.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got the Rosewill Blackbone mid tower ATX case for 10 dollars less then the suggested Smart One case. DDR2 is sitting around the same price as DDR3 for the lower memory bandwidth stuff, might as well pay the same price for RAM that has a higher Mhz rating. Don't buy Sony optical drives unless you know what is good for you, they are crap build quality and you usually have to modify the drive's face plate to fit into a case. Sony makes you install this little bullshit program called InCD.exe and it causes one of my computers to lock up every time someone logs out of it too. I got a Lite-On 24x DVD burner for 30 bucks and it's great, they are the way to go even if they cost slightly more then other brands.

Have not ordered my power supply yet, but I think I will get a Kingwin modular PSU since they seem to get great reviews and are cheaper then other brands.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Pioneer tend to make better DVD drives than LiteOn, although I've seen less Pioneer drives over the last couple years. Either way, LiteOn aren't bad either - not nearly as bad as Sony (I've had 3 break on me over the years) ;p
the 2 sony drives in my PC I have been using for over 4 years lol (they are both pata though
yay.gif
)

QUOTE(DSGamer64 @ Apr 30 2010, 10:56 AM) Sony makes you install this little bullshit program called InCD.exe and it causes one of my computers to lock up every time someone logs out of it too.

InCD is a nero application to allow drag and drop bruning
your only asked to install this if you install nero burning rom
you dont even need to install it, windows already has its own built in

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Originality said:
Pioneer tend to make better DVD drives than LiteOn, although I've seen less Pioneer drives over the last couple years. Either way, LiteOn aren't bad either - not nearly as bad as Sony (I've had 3 break on me over the years) ;p
I have a Sony DVD burner that replaced the stock one in a 6 year old HP desktop a few years ago and it works fine, however we had to make some modifications to the face plate in order to get it to fit in the front panel of the case by filing the sides off until it could open and close properly. It isn't a spectacular drive but it rips CD's fine, I don't burn DVD's on that old computer so it doesn't bother me much. Some of the other Sony drives (and their computer stuff in general) is not so good, LCD monitor only lasting 2 years yet I have had CRT's last at least 5 years. I wouldn't buy Sony for anything computer related other then maybe a Blu Ray drive and even then there are just as good of alternatives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll see hey cod is on Gamepass and go that route +1