Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Handles on top.... *drools*

I personally hate it when the PSU is on top. Makes cable management much harder, and tends to make the centre of balance higher up (more likely to fall over). I don't have any horror stories of systems dying from it, but it does look stupid (my friend has done it a few times - no damage though).

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again, that last one especially. I'm not too familiar with Thermaltake as a brand or how reliable they are compared to other brands. As long as it isn't like Raidmax or Diablotek, I'm fine.B-)

Of the four you linked, only the last one I like. The rest are fugleh :ph34r:

Yep, not only are the internals painted black, but it has three fans (top, front and back), and it looks sturdy nor is it terribly expensive either, the best of all worlds.:P

I can stretch my budget a bit if it means getting a case that is functional and has a good appearance (anything from $90-$120). Should I take the reviews seriously, especially regarding fan issues?

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Armor-A90-System-Cabinet/dp/B003KGBCU8 Seemed to have an extra fan and got lower temps.

Edit: Bollocks!! The case I posted above uses 4-pins and not 3-pin connectors for the fans. Guess that means I can't use that Sunbeam brand fan controller. Crap.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. The fan controller for the case fans are three-pin connectors, yet most of the chassis fans I see state that they are four pin connectors?WTF? Could someone clear the confusion? I'm pretty sure you can't use three pin connectors on four-pin fans....This case here http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Armor-A90-System-Cabinet/dp/B003KGBCU8 states the fans are four-pin and not three.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you wont be able to use that controller (the connectors are enclosed only allowing 3 pin fans) however they can still be plugged into the motherboard even if they are only 3 pin
theres not much reason for a fan controller anyway

edit
the fans are 4 pin molex
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133176

Yeah, that's where I'm getting frustrated and confused. Since my motherboard/PSU only support connection for three fans, I'll need to get a chassis that has three fans and no more. Sure, I won't be able control the fan speed at will, but unless I can get a controller, it ain't gonna happen. I could be wrong though. Seems that case is out of stock as of today. Bollocks. Oh well. I'd better order the parts; it's now or never (well, gotta wait till I cash my tax refund, THEN I can get them). Gotta look for a different mid ATX tower....I mean again.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you just plug into a molex connector on your psu
theres 8 molex connectors on that psu so it shouldnt be a problem

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you just plug into a molex connector on your psu

Well, that certainly makes things less complicated as far as not being limited in what case I'll get. Cool, thanks!

I know there are multiple molex connectors (one being for PCIe/GPUs) it would probably under

1 x 24pin Main Connector
1 x EPS12V CPU Connector
2 x PCI-E
8 x SATA
8 x Peripheral
2 x Floppy

That would be my guess.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The difference between 3 pin and molex for chassis fans is that molex will not be able to control the speed. They'll be on full tilt all the time.

So what do you suggest I do to alleviate the issue? All the cases I've seen so far only have four-pinned fans, but if I want to control the speed, I need a controller, but I've only saw three-pin connectors on those. Damned if I do, damned if I don't; I can't seem to find an ideal solution to this. I look for a case, but when if satisfies one condition (like black interiors), there are either not enough fans to have a good cooling system, people bitch about the fans going out after one or two months after making grinding noises; there's always something not right about whichever case I try to look at. Guess I just have plain rotten luck, and am downright implacable. I've done nothing but waste your time. :(

Maybe I was being too vague as far as describing what kind of case I want and what to do about cooling.

Trying to find a case that

has at least three fans with four-pin connectors (so the fans' speed is controllable)
has black interior/exterior and LED fans
doesn't malfunction after three months' use
is well-built/not cheaply made
decent cable management
is somewhere between $80-130
has minimal negative reviews

And yet, nowhere have I been able to come anywhere near fulfilling all this criteria
Either that or I'm too much and being hard on myself once more.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Fans need 3 pins to be controllable. Only the CPU fan has 4 pins and can still be controllable. Case fans with 4 pins are always molex. Often these fans actually utilise 3-pin to molex adapters, but cheaper ones don't. It's difficult to tell from spec sheets.

There's nothing really bad about having fans running full speed. Might generate more noise, but cooling will always be at its best.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fans need 3 pins to be controllable. Only the CPU fan has 4 pins and can still be controllable. Case fans with 4 pins are always molex. Often these fans actually utilise 3-pin to molex adapters, but cheaper ones don't. It's difficult to tell from spec sheets.

There's nothing really bad about having fans running full speed. Might generate more noise, but cooling will always be at its best.

What should I do when looking for a good case and its fans? Me being paranoid, but I would think having them on 100% speed all the time would wear them out faster, I could be mistaken. And while the PSU I chose has molex connectors (8 peripheral to be exact), I'm still deciding on if I really need a fan controller or if I just daisy chain all them into a molex connector. My head hurts from all this unnecessary stress I brought on myself...need to sleep, it's already 1:10 AM where I live.

Unfortunately, I can't tell from pics whether or not the fans are three or four pins. Just a random list of towers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133086 Thermaltake Element

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009 Corsair Carbide

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133210 Thermaltake Armor Reveo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194 Cooler Master Storm Sniper

Three pin, can be controlled
Four pin, must be used with peripheral molex connector

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've only once seen a case fan wear out. That was after 7 years of frequent use too. Replacing it cost around $8 and took about 10 minutes (including cable management). It's usually a matter of unscrewing 4 screws, replacing the fan, screwing back 4 screws, then route the cable as before.

I understand you being nervous and paranoid. I won't tell you not to be. All I will say is that these things are trivial, from the perspective of one who has built many systems in the past couple decades.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only once seen a case fan wear out. That was after 7 years of frequent use too. Replacing it cost around $8 and took about 10 minutes (including cable management). It's usually a matter of unscrewing 4 screws, replacing the fan, screwing back 4 screws, then route the cable as before.

I understand you being nervous and paranoid. I won't tell you not to be. All I will say is that these things are trivial, from the perspective of one who has built many systems in the past couple decades.

It is trivial, and I admit that it's an issue I have yet to overcome (being overly fearful/paranoid about things that clearly don't matter). I think though I can pinpoint the the moment or at least know when, where and why. I had a Raidmax case, only lasted just shy of four years. The side fans stopped working after two, which may have contributed to the motherboard getting hot enough and fry, but that happened three months ago. I'm glad you're are experience are you are, and the the advice given thus far. As for myself, I never completely built one from scratch, having no previous experience doing it all. I may have installed a CPU, RAM modules and motherboard, but not every single component. I have no experience, but now's a good a time as any for me to start. B-) At least I know what brand NOT to choose.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think that was because of the case or fans, it could have been tons of different reasons to blown caps or general hardware failure

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT