Net Neutrality: what it is, and why you should care

641313984.jpg

UPDATE: It's been voted for repeal. The FCC took Net Neutrality to a vote, and it was 3-2, in favor of repeal. This doesn't mean overnight upheaval, but things will certainly change, for better or worse, in due time.
If you've been on the internet at all the past week, there's a high chance that you've heard of something called "Net Neutrality", and you've also likely heard that there might be huge changes to your usage of the internet entirely. This post serves as a quick information briefing on what Net Neutrality is, what could happen if it's repealed, and the current events going on regarding it, and just general visibility to let the community in general be informed.

What is this Net Neutrality thing?

The basic definition of network neutrality is simple: all internet traffic is considered and treated equally. It was established just a bit under three years ago, in February 2015. It prevented companies like Comcast Xfinity and AT&T U-verse from speeding up, or slowing down certain sites based upon content. If you remember, back in July 2017, mobile provider Verizon admitted to targeting Netflix traffic, and specifically throttling it, negatively affecting customers' use of Netflix. Going back to 2014, there were also issues with Comcast customers, and, that's right, Netflix users, as connections to Netflix were notoriously slow. Netflix then entered a legal deal with Comcast, in order to have Netflix connections be faster than they previously were. The 2014 incident was pre-net neutrality, and shows that before the law was enacted, certain sites like Netflix were indeed slowed, and had to specifically bargain with large telecommunication monopolies like Comcast to get fair speeds out to their customers.

In April 2017, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Ajit Pai, revealed that he had plans to repeal net neutrality. It's worth noting that Pai was once the Associate General Counsel of Verizon Communications, an incredibly high up position with an ISP, who we've stated before as having throttled websites in the past.

Pai's statements on the matter included saying such things as "[the government] would be able to stop micromanaging the internet" and that the FCC and internet service providers would simply have to be "transparent about their practices so that consumers can buy a service plan that's best for them". Shortly after, Comcast began vocally supporting these statements, claiming that government regulation of the internet has been harming innovation and investments of Comcast. David Cohen, the company's Chief Diversity Officer, said that "customers would be clearly informed on our practices [...] Comcast maintains that it does and will not block, throttle, or discriminate against lawful content".

Within the movement for repealing net neutrality, also comes with power being given to the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC would then have the ability to legally charge internet service providers that were not made clear to customers.

You may notice, that within any of the claims made by Pai or Comcast, that equal traffic was never made the focus, instead putting emphasis on making sure these monopolies must be clear and transparent about what they do, but never laying down any solid rules about what they need to be transparent about or why. And, of course, if the FTC were to go after AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, or other assorted companies for not being transparent, these legal cases would find themselves taking years to make their way to court, allowing for them to have their way with their customers until a definitive legal ruling. Therein lies the first batch of unease and controversy with the repeal.

In short, net neutrality is a fairly new regulation, which allows for equal traffic between all sites while using the internet. The chairman of the FCC and former higher-up of Verizon wants to repeal it, however. This would allow less government interference with ISPs, but would also allow those ISPs to do what they wish, so long as they're "transparent".

Does repealing Net Neutrality have any benefits?

Spoiler alert: not really

From the inception of the internet, and up until 2015, Americans have gone without net neutrality. Ajit Pai claims that should we not have net neutrality anymore, more rural areas would be able to have more companies and providers, and it would allow for more competition and choice for the consumer. However, these smaller companies would also have to fight it out with established services, with years of experience and infrastructure refinements.

As a side note, I've spent thirty minutes researching a potential "pro" argument. I've not found many that seem reasonable. I've listed in the spoiler tag below arguments from other websites and blogs.

Green Garage Blog: While net neutrality allows for freedom of speech, the downside is that almost anything can be posted to the internet. This means that the cruelest or insensitive information imaginable can end up on the internet, and as a result, it can cause a lot of problems from people that otherwise wouldn’t be prone to being under the microscope of criticism. This means that people can post cruel, intimidating, or other harassing messages and often get away with it thanks to free speech legislation. So it can be a very toxic environment for a lot of people to put up with.

Vittana: Reduced income from internet uses limits infrastructure improvements.
There are certain businesses and high-use individuals who consume large amounts of bandwidth every month. If net neutrality was removed, these high-level consumers would be asked to pay more for what they consume. This added income could then be used to upgrade the infrastructure of each internet service provider, making it possible for advanced fiber networks to be installed in many communities.

AEI: But in many instances, fast lanes, zero-rating, and the like benefit customers. In separate research, both former FCC Chief Economist Michael Katz (with Ben Hermalin) and I (with Janice Hauge) showed that fast lanes benefit small content providers in their attempts to compete with established industry leaders. AEI scholar Roslyn Layton has shown that elderly and low-income consumers benefit from zero-rating services.

Basically, the only benefit would be if America's current economy wasn't dominated by monopolistic ISPs. Below is an interview with Ajit Pai, showing his perspective.

Scrapping these rules, Pai told Reason's Nick Gillespie, won't harm consumers or the public interest because there was no reason for them in the first place. The rationales were mere "phantoms that were conjured up by people who wanted the FCC for political reasons to overregulate the internet," Pai told Gillespie. "We were not living in a digital dystopia in the years leading up to 2015."

If left in place, however, the Title II rules could harm the commercial internet, which Pai described as "one of the most incredible free market innovations in history."

"Companies like Google and Facebook and Netflix became household names precisely because we didn't have the government micromanaging how the internet would operate," said Pai, who noted that the Clinton-era decision not to regulate the Internet like a phone utility or a broadcast network was one of the most important factors in the rise of our new economy.

Pai also pushed back against claims that he's a right-wing radical who's "fucking things up."

"[I ascribe to] the very radical, right-wing position that the Clinton administration basically got it right when it came to digital infrastructure."

What happens if/when this gets repealed, and what does this mean for you?

The worst part of this, is that there's no definitive answer of what WILL happen, only what CAN happen. What has people concerned, though, is the potential things that larger ISPs can do with this new power, should net neutrality be repealed. Internet service providers could slow access to specific sites, and speed up others, in theory, others specifically being sites who pay ISPs for faster access, and those partnered or in contracts with ISPs. Websites like Google, Amazon, Reddit, Etsy, Netflix, and many more have all broadcast their support of net neutrality, stating that without these rules in place thanks to net neutrality, internet providers would become gatekeepers to the internet, restricting what customers can see. Without definitive government restrictions, these companies could be free to split access to the internet into packages, like cable TV, indeed making true on the intention of lowering the cost of internet access, but also making it more difficult and expensive to see all of the internet, as you can right now.

Likely, what will happen, though everything is up in the air, is that certain ISPs will utilize what's called "fast lanes" and "zero rating". Fast lanes are sort of like what we talked about at the start, with Netflix and Comcast. Currently, these fast lanes and zero rating are used with mobile phone data. AT&T customers can watch DirecTV (owned by AT&T) via their mobile data, without it counting towards their monthly cap. These rules could be applied to home internet as well; if you're a Comcast user, and you want to watch Hulu (owned by NBC-Universal-Comcast), maybe your connection to Hulu will be lightning fast, thanks to these theoretical fast lanes, and they won't go towards your Comcast monthly 1 Terabyte home cap. But what if you want to watch Netflix? Either Netflix will have much lower picture quality, or take a longer time to connect to. And if Netflix pays a fee, or gets into a contract once again with Comcast, then that potentially means that Netflix's increased costs move down to the consumer, who also now has to pay more for a service as well.

What can we do?

The only thing left to do is let your voice be heard. Social media has exploded without people decrying the impending repeal of net neutrality, and the negatives that it would entail, to the point of where the majority of Reddit has been plastered with net neutrality posts.

zZOxMA2.png

The FCC will take the repeal to a vote on December 14, 2017. It is highly predicted that the repeal will pass, and net neutrality will come to an end. Millions have taken to the site "battleforthenet" and "callmycongress" to contact their local representatives and congressmen in order to show that American citizens don't want net neutrality destroyed.

You can learn more at the links below. Hopefully this is helpful in describing what net neutrality is, and why it shouldn't be taken away.

:arrow:Techcrunch: These are the arguments against net neutrality and why they're wrong

:arrow: Extra Credits: What a closed internet means

:arrow:Phillip DeFranco: The Internet is under attack

:arrow:Save the internet: What you need to know

:arrow:Ars Technica: RIP net neutrality

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Finally, a post that actually reviews all the fact behind what's going on instead of saying "Click this button to say no to net neutrality" without giving a valid argument as to the pros and cons of such a thing. People should decide for themselves if they feel this is something they should fight about, recently I've seen several posts in several places (And a couple notificatons from Discord devs) that all just basically say "Hey please say no to net neutrality thank you bye" without a single consideration to the fact that there's actually two sides to this..
I dunno that it'd make too much difference for me yet (Or that I can even do anything about it) since I'm not in the USA (If it hits here then I would be able to do something though), but I hope your governments come to a sensible conclusion that most people are happy with.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
That we even need to be fighting this battle in the first place is absurd. Thanks for posting such comprehensive information on what I and many believe to be a critical topic right now. It's important we have logic and explanations rather than propaganda and blind calls to action. Good on ya.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
This isn't the only problem in the world.
What about required healthcare?
Mandatory schooling of kids?
World hunger?
These things don't directly affect the internet, in what you use to visit gbatemp, or download games. Not only that, but America is the largest proportion of users on this site. Seeing as not only that, but there was a demand for such news to be posted, I think it's only fair for this to be on the front page. There's no need to be so dismissive here.

I do not care.
Spoilers: other countries exist besides the US
Thank you for your entirely helpful, useful, caring contribution to this post.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
These things don't directly affect the internet, in what you use to visit gbatemp, or download games. Not only that, but America is the largest proportion of users on this site. Seeing as not only that, but there was a demand for such news to be posted, I think it's only fair for this to be on the front page. There's no need to be so dismissive here.

Thank you for your entirely helpful, useful, caring contribution to this post.
It generally starts small. One company or entity does it, then others think it's okay. It's most certainly not an "American problem". If it's really of no concern to someone, the most helpful they can be is off in a corner somewhere twiddling their thumbs.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The funniest thing is that even if I lived in the US I wouldn't give a fuck. In a country that has "absolute freedom of speech" (i.e. the key to an unstable society) and that favors freedom everywhere, I don't see why would anyone decide what services companies should provide.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The funniest thing is that even if I lived in the US I wouldn't give a fuck. In a country that has "absolute freedom of speech" (i.e. the key to an unstable society) and that favors freedom everywhere, I don't see why would anyone decide what services companies should provide.
With such an attitude, you would only contribute to the dumb American stereotype.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Because a truly free market without legislative regulation would lead to all sorts of gross bastardizations of the public's basic rights, the formation of monopolies being the first thing that comes to mind. It's not about controlling services, it's about maintaining any semblance of a balanced status-quo between consumer and company.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not a worldwide problem, so meh...

...Except actualy i think that in fact it is a huge problem, because America is a major participant of worldwide web, and crippling american users in such way WILL affect in some way all users worldwide. Also worth noting that if sick ideas like this will be put into effect in America, there's a huge chance that other companies worldwide will also do it. Saying "It does not affect me!" is pretty short-sighed, because sooner or later it CAN affect everybody.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Not being dismissive at all.
Simply saying what's on me mind.

The problem with Net Neutrality is that politicians or ISPs will eventually cook up something else to throttle bandwith for users.
Doesn't matter what happens, some company will be difficult on purpose.
Even if it's for the sake of sparking a riot.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
I can make the argument: If you were to rid of Net Neutrality, this would cause major companies such as "Google, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, etc" to be choked of their user traffic. People, in their right minds, aren't going to pay an extra $20 just to access those services; especially if you don't want to support such a thing.
This would mean major companies such as them, would die a slow and painful death.

As this 'supposed' chairman of the F.C.C has stated, this would encourage competition. This statement is bullshit! You're simply making it harder for companies to compete! ISP's and other Internet providers, would control what you do on the internet. Not to say they already limit you, but getting rid of those Freedoms completely is a huge mistake.

We live in a country where you have the Freedom of Speech, and many other rights that include freedoms. Isn't locking down the internet like this, contradicting the fact that we have 'Freedoms/Rights?' The only reasons congress or this chairman are fulfilling these new laws, is so their paychecks can be a bit higher than their current ones. If you represent the people, and the rights that we as people possess, then you shouldn't ignore 20,000,000+ comments that are against your decision. Especially when many major Companies are against you as well.

If you truly wish to represent the people, you must listen to your peers and not shove them to the side.
This man wants nothing more than to turn our Internet into a Communist environment of sorts.

We have the right of Freedoms. We should not allow this Man, to rid of our Freedom on the internet. When hundreds of other Nations have that Freedom; and they're not even based completely on the Idea of a free government.

This Chairman does not represent us, he represents himself; and how he sees fit.
We should all fight to get rid of him, or at least change his mind. Or maybe even get the minds of Congress to realize what they're getting into.

~That is all I must say.

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because a truly free market without legislative regulation would lead to all sorts of gross bastardizations of the public's basic rights, the formation of monopolies being the first thing that comes to mind. It's not about controlling services, it's about maintaining any semblance of a balanced status-quo between consumer and company.
It's already the case in the US, the country where hospitals throw out ill people once they can't pay anymore. But again, you pay for a service, I don't see why someone else would control that.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I got to say if this thing ends bad (looks that way so far) and it stops me from making money from streaming and so on then I think I would have to move out of the usa.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
All of those arguments are based on "the companies are evil so they will kill their own businesses because they're controlled by the Illuminati who want to fuck us". That's all I see. Its like when stupid syndicates say that a boss is necessarily a heartless rich man who wants to fire all of his employees because it's fun.

Reactions: the_leg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Kaden Kyarel, Either support GBAtemp with Patron or use an ad-blocker.