Netflix is working on a ‘BioShock’ movie adaptation

BioShock-Key-Art.jpg

Yet another video game franchise is getting adapted for the big screen. Partnering with Take-Two Interactive, Netflix will adapt BioShock into a movie "to develop a potential cinematic universe", reports The Hollywood Reporter. Netflix also took to Twitter to share the news:

There is apparently no writer or filmmaker attached to the project at this time, according to THR, but the online outlet mentions that this partnership deal has been in the works for nearly a year.

Do you think BioShock will work well in movie format?

:arrow: SOURCE

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would think after the disaster that was the Cowboy Bebop adaptation they would hit the pause button on any kind of adaption for the near future and instead focus on making original content.

Actually, now that I think about it, is there any news of Stranger Things S4 releasing at all or is it still in development hell? They seem to be pushing these crapdaptations out faster than anything original on their end.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Do you think BioShock will work well in movie format?​

It could, but with no writer, director, actors, visual desgners, studio or budget announced, I'm not getting my hopes up. Could be good. Could be a disaster. Who knows?

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What isn't Netflix adapting at this point.

I don't get it, their most successful tv shows are those that were truly original. Everytime they rely on existing franchises that they end up angering a fanbase.
And it's not just Cowboy Bebop. Saint Seiya was atrocious. Full Metal, Death Note... none of them were good.

Beastars may be the only exception I can think of, and I'm not certain Netflix had a lot of creative power over it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Kek, this was canned like 2 or 3 times before.

I'm still interested in it ofcourse but I doubt we'll be seeing much of the original plans.
Also, game to film/series adaptations are the latest craze? did society finally gotten over the zombie craze?

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it can work with a small budget...
1. Everything just keep a low budget Cellar, Basement feels ( no huge set other then establishing underswater scenes )
2. cut back on "powers"
I can see a really nice psychology horror/action movie

Volttekka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For fucks sake, can Netflix (and western studios in general) stop trying to make live-action series based on video game franchises?
I hear the animated stuff is fine, but you can never reach the same level of appeal through a live-action movie/show that you can in a video game.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
After Bioshock 1 released, a bioshock movie was also planned in 2008 but I think it was eventually canned after several years in the pre-production stage. Fun fact, Ken Levine wanted a "Hard R" rating which would have been cool but ofcourse the financial backers wanted to maximize profits and wanted nothing to do with an R rating.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For fucks sake, can Netflix (and western studios in general) stop trying to make live-action series based on video game franchises?
I hear the animated stuff is fine, but you can never reach the same level of appeal through a live-action movie/show that you can in a video game.
Netflix is getting desperate to have GOOD content considering licensed content is leaving the service, but trying to leech off a franchise for a probably shitty movie will do them no good.

I used to love Netflix. Now? They're like a stain.

Reactions: apaltado

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival