New Apple TV launches today .. apparently with a gaming focus.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
upload_2015-9-9_9-15-5.png

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/appl...rumours-launch-date-september-gaming-3419647/

Nintendo said it's Wii U tablet was a flop because the iPad and other tablets were such as success (I don't personally buy that excuse ... but anyway). Now Apple is coming right to the TV ... definitely encroaching on Nintendo's gaming console market.

How well will Apple do ? Does this spell even more problems for Nintendo ?

I've heard a few things about the Apple TV.
- likely to have an app store.
- likely to work with gaming controllers.

For all the people in North America with an iTunes account ... can they now play their Candy Crush on the TV ? Is that useful ?

Is Apple TV going to be a relevant gaming console ? directly competing with PS4, XB1, NX ?

Is Apple going to "Pull a Wii" and bring out games and new controllers that everyone wanted like the Wii did ?

Interesting move Apple.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ouya Apple Edition.
"Think different"

Great point.

Excellent article here discussing exactly that.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ya-it-will-pose-no-threat-to-ps4-or-xbox-one/

I really like what the guy points out here .... the Input problem.

iOS games are meant to be touched on the device screen ... can't do that with the TV !
Getting over that hurdle will be difficult.

I wonder if the Apple TV controller is like a WiiMote ?
Hmmm.

or if Apple TV games are going to be a new generation of apps that are driven by a controller, not the screen.

Bottom line is ... I dont think it is possible to play Clash of Clans on the TV. Ever.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great point.

Excellent article here discussing exactly that.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ya-it-will-pose-no-threat-to-ps4-or-xbox-one/

I really like what the guy points out here .... the Input problem.

iOS games are meant to be touched on the device screen ... can't do that with the TV !
Getting over that hurdle will be difficult.

I wonder if the Apple TV controller is like a WiiMote ?
Hmmm.

or if Apple TV games are going to be a new generation of apps that are driven by a controller, not the screen.

Bottom line is ... I dont think it is possible to play Clash of Clans on the TV. Ever.

You never know you might need iPad to act like a controller..

Wii U Apple Edtion.

"Think different"

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You never know you might need iPad to act like a controller..
Wii U Apple Edtion.
"Think different"
Funny I thought of the same thing !
But it wont work for Clash of Clans ... otherwise you'd be just playing Clash of Clans on the ipad and you wouldn't be looking at the TV ... even though the game might be displaying on the TV too.

I wonder if it is possible to "translate" iPad swipes ... over wifi or bluetooth ... to the Apple TV in real time ? You would need to be able to do that to use iPads with the Apple TV.

Maybe iOS9 will have an new "mode" for iOS devices ... where the iDevice isn't fully powered on but will function as a remote ! The acelerometer will work, maybe a portion of the screen will work as an input device. Naw, probably not.

Maybe one of the goals is to have Mom, Dad and the 2.5 kids to all use their idevices to play games on the Apple TV together ?

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think this marks the first time Apple takes the Apple TV seriously.
I dont think the focus will be on games.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try to check out the Apple TV launch today.

upload_2015-9-9_14-54-21.png

Apple sucks.

The new Apple TV is much more powerful than its predecessor, which is a crucial upgrade for the device’s gaming ambitions. It's powered by a 64-bit A8 processor and supports 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0. "It's just 10 millimeters taller," than the previous device, said Apple's Eddy Cue. As for connections, the new Apple TV carries over the same, simplistic power / HDMI / ethernet setup as the old model. It will launch in late October in two configurations: 32GB for $149 or 64GB for $199.

But third-party apps are by far the biggest addition to this new Apple TV. The bundled remote can be used to control games running on your TV screen. On stage, Apple showcased a few titles including Crossy Road and Beat Sports, a game made by Harmonix. Apple's gaming push seems tailored around casual players — the same people who've collectively downloaded millions of titles onto their iPhones and iPads.

Apple is bundling a new and vastly improved physical remote with the latest Apple TV. The remote features a touch surface for easier navigation through the device's user interface, which resembles the previous menu system but is now refreshed and much more in line with modern iOS devices. Apple says the new software is called tvOS. As you watch shows and movies, Siri can also provide current weather conditions or keep you updated on sports scores.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/9/9276215/new-apple-tv-announced-price-specs-release-date

Last edited by osirisjem,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe