Hardware New Laptop GPU Problems

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought an Acer Nitro 5 laptop. It has an i5-7300HQ and a GTX 1050 Ti.

When unplugged, the laptop works as it should. It switches between the integrated graphics and dedicated graphics appropriately. However, I only get 20-30 FPS in GTA 5 when it's using the dedicated 1050 Ti. I looked up benchmarks and it should be getting in the 60s or above, minimum. The CPU is being used at 100% and is staying at 2.48GHz while the GPU is barely being used at around 20%. This issue is not related to the one I'm about to talk about, but if anyone has any advice for this, that'd be great.

The real problem occurs when plugging the laptop in. It will freeze and be completely unusable when any application attempts to use the 1050 Ti in any way. For example, task manager displays the GPU usage. It will freeze the entire system upon loading task manager. Same with FurMark or any other game. Booting the laptop into Windows while it's plugged in leaves it at a hanging black screen for about 5 minutes. When it eventually loads, going into Device Manager reveals the 1050 Ti has been stopped by Windows with Code 43. The device runs smoothly once the 1050 Ti is stopped by Windows, or disabled manually by me.

I looked up solutions and tried just about every one. I used DDU + reinstalled graphics drivers from Acer website (also tried DDU + drivers from NVIDIA site), tried installing Chipset drivers, ensuring all Windows updates are installed, made sure there's no throttling, etc. Nothing works.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Last edited by DarkFlare69,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like a faulty 1050 Ti. I suggest returning it for a refund or exchange for a different laptop, if possible.

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like a faulty 1050 Ti. I suggest returning it for a refund or exchange for a different laptop, if possible.
I think it might be too. But it works when the laptop is not plugged in (as far as I can tell). Is it possible it could still be a faulty 1050 Ti even though it works when not plugged in? Or could it be some kind of driver issue ?

giovany86

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You have to modify your settings to set the max allowed GPU Usage to 100% and disable Nvidia Battery Boost (also you have to modify other things but i've forgotten what x) )

Unia4L

:)
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since you said it's new, I doubt any viruses may be affecting this.

As @nero99 said, I would return it. I have a 1050ti but never ran into this issue before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Toxic pills are best
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, He fucked around and found out.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol Veho
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho