New PlayStation 3 4.90 firmware update released

fkfgor.png

No, you haven't accidentally woken up in 2007. While Sony has indeed pushed a new firmware update out for the PlayStation 3, making the 15-year-old console as stable as ever, the contents are fairly standard. The patch notes don't give any helpful clue as to the contents of the update, but given the last few PS3 firmware updates we've seen, it's likely just a Blu-Ray-related tweak. If you've still got your system hooked up, you can download the new OFW today.

:arrow: Source

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always wondered. If standalone Blu-ray boxes can play new releases with ease, why does PS3 need these yearly Blu-ray patches?

They also have wifi/ethernet on them so they can update as well, all BD players have to do this or they can't play anything released after a new keyset goes out.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe they all need updating.
They also have wifi/ethernet on them so they can update as well, all BD players have to do this or they can't play anything released after a new keyset goes out.
I don't believe that's true? I have a standalone Blu-ray player from 2015, without wifi support, that I've never updated - and it plays anything I've thrown at it, even recent releases.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always wondered. If standalone Blu-ray boxes can play new releases with ease, why does PS3 need these yearly Blu-ray patches?
I'm pretty sure it's
because Sony has to keep revoking the DRM host certificates for their own console for their own disc format because the host certificates keep getting extracted and used to rip Blu-rays on PC drives

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I was hoping for the cr2032 bug fix that PS4 got since cr2032s are a bitch to swap out for most units. 4GB support would be sweet over the shitty 1.75gb limit

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I think I saw a tweet that this updates something critical too that breaks CFW... maybe I'm wrong though!
True, Zecoxao and Wololo say this update could close some CFW, but it seems Evilnat is already working on Evilnat Cobra 4.90 but to be on the safe side Do NOT Update people.

Wait until Evilnat 4.90 is confirmed to be working, and remember Evilnat only works on Ps3 Phat models and some early slim versions. Super-slim should definitely Not Update.

dbrown1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe that's true? I have a standalone Blu-ray player from 2015, without wifi support, that I've never updated - and it plays anything I've thrown at it, even recent releases.
Give it some time. You'll eventually buy a title that will not play. My standalone LG Blu-ray player has required two updates since 2014 in order to play new titles that had new AACS keys or Cinavia watermarks.

It's a cycle, coders working for pirates (or just as a hobby) break the protections of keys and watermarks and DRM companies respond by creating new key derivatives and audio watermarks, only for the coders to break them again, usually within a few months.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If a player isn't hack able, then they don't need to revoke it's key. Arguably it's pointless that they do revoke the ps3 player keys as they can be extracted really easily, but we are where we are. AFAIK it's Sony that set the expiration date of the key in each firmware version, probably to meet some licensing condition now that the ps3 is hacked.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, now I have to be VERY careful to never connect my PS3 to the internet ever again. It's not even hacked/using CFW, it's just a regular super-slim with a busted bluetooth receiver. There's a bug in the update where if it doesn't detect bluetooth it immeditely jumps into an endless loop that you can only get out of by yanking the HDD.

Fun bonus: The bluetooth receiver is hard soldered into the motherboard, so you can't fix it without risking botching the whole thing :glare:

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda dig this "4.90" number firmware. :P If it reaches 5.00 FW then that'd be great, too.

But, I've gotten so used to 4.88 I'll stay with that one.

Llannccee

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great, now I have to be VERY careful to never connect my PS3 to the internet ever again. It's not even hacked/using CFW, it's just a regular super-slim with a busted bluetooth receiver. There's a bug in the update where if it doesn't detect bluetooth it immeditely jumps into an endless loop that you can only get out of by yanking the HDD.

Fun bonus: The bluetooth receiver is hard soldered into the motherboard, so you can't fix it without risking botching the whole thing :glare:
Yep happened to my super slim. Was happy using a wired controller and a ethernet cable. Updated the firmware now stuck in a loop. Tried the whole yanking the hdd even got to 99% once. Still keeping the hardware hoping somebody figures out a solution in the future.

When i just saw the news about a new ps3 firmware. I had a little bit of hope it might fix this issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: