ROM Hack New powersaves 3ds thread

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
They have so far said they don't want to ruin online play for games blah blah blah, so letting people make their own code (assuming they know how) would kinda bypass their whole" we decide what you get and when" stance

aftokinito

Trophies
XP
Country
They have so far said they don't want to ruin online play for games blah blah blah, so letting people make their own code (assuming they know how) would kinda bypass their whole" we decide what you get and when" stance

That's not entirelly true.
The reason why we cannot create our own codes is simply because we cannot.
When Datel created this system, only 1-2 people were able to fully decrypt their save so they assumed we wouldn't be able to create codes anyway, as we didn't know what offsets of the save had to be changed and how.

Datel is basically not going to redesign their perfect money making system just because 100 people instead of 2 can now decrypt their save, while only a small group knows what to patch and where.
It makes no sense for Datel to invest money on allowing you to make your own codes if only 10 people are going to use that system.
Plus I'm pretty sure they don't want us to use their 3DS farm to sign random saves with random codes as that would put them in a doubtful situation with Nintendo.

Simon Blackquill

Trophies
XP
Country
That's not entirelly true.
The reason why we cannot create our own codes is simply because we cannot.
When Datel created this system, only 1-2 people were able to fully decrypt their save so they assumed we wouldn't be able to create codes anyway, as we didn't know what offsets of the save had to be changed and how.

Datel is basically not going to redesign their perfect money making system just because 100 people instead of 2 can now decrypt their save, while only a small group knows what to patch and where.
It makes no sense for Datel to invest money on allowing you to make your own codes if only 10 people are going to use that system.
Plus I'm pretty sure they don't want us to use their 3DS farm to sign random saves with random codes as that would put them in a doubtful situation with Nintendo.

Lol Nintendo doesn't care, since when did they ever take action against Pokemon Hackers. Latiasite is out for over a week now, where are the lawyers? There are none.

Stop saying Datel will be in trouble with Nintendo, Nintendo hasn't done anything.

aftokinito

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol Nintendo doesn't care, since when did they ever take action against Pokemon Hackers. Latiasite is out for over a week now, where are the lawyers? There are none.

Stop saying Datel will be in trouble with Nintendo, Nintendo hasn't done anything.

I'm not speaking about The Pokemon Company but Nintendo.
Releasing unreleased items for Pokemon is one thing, a thing that The Pokemon Company takes or not care of, but letting ANY user sign whatever they want (you can check saves as much as you want, someone will enventually find a way to sign other things) is another very different thing that can eventually lead to software piracy.
Nintendo cannot legally attack the Flashcart companies because of legal precedence but SOFTWARE piracy has no legal precedent that prevents Nintendo from attacking Datel.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

depends on what was being signed encrypted, if a 7.2 exploit was found and it used a save hack, and datel where the only guys who could encrypt the exploit....then it would backfire in their face....especially if they took the stance of "oh well we don't give a damn"

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
[...]but letting ANY user sign whatever they want (you can check saves as much as you want, someone will enventually find a way to sign other things) [...]
You do realise that even if I write a program in assembly to bruteforce the AES MAC, it's possible that it'd take from now till the end of the universe to crack... and assuming I did crack it, it'd only be good for that one time use.. so better have everything you want in one save I guess.

Nyancat

wow i have a custom title, how nice
Trophies
XP
Country
Although it does say on the Powersaves package and description that you could make your own saves as an additional feature, in the end this did not happen because people would find out a way to get unreleased Pokémon. I don't mean Hoopa and Volcanion maybe there are other pokemon beyond this theory but in a nutshell that I think is the reason why.

aftokinito

Trophies
XP
Country
You do realise that even if I write a program in assembly to bruteforce the AES MAC, it's possible that it'd take from now till the end of the universe to crack... and assuming I did crack it, it'd only be good for that one time use.. so better have everything you want in one save I guess.

Did you even read the rest of the post?
I was referring to the fact that should Datel allowed us to use our own codes on our own saves, someone would eventually find a way to upload something that is not a save to their system, apply a null code and get the original file signed by their 3DS farm.
This could lead to piracy because you could basically sign ELFs and then load them with a Gateway using a custom payload.

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
I was referring to the fact that should Datel allowed us to use our own codes on our own saves, someone would eventually find a way to upload something that is not a save to their system, apply a null code and get the original file signed by their 3DS farm.
This could lead to piracy because you could basically sign ELFs and then load them with a Gateway using a custom payload.

The rest of the post doesnt say anything of value.. also even if you know the KeyY, you still cant just 'crack' the algorthm that easily..

Kaphotics

badc0ded
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

not if datel wasn't stupid, plus that's not how savegame signing works

The whole signing thing is a hash of 0x100 (the DISA region); you can't sign whatever large thing you want. Datel checks the validity of the disa/difi hashes before they apply codes according to the specific game's savegame structure; any tampering can be detected.

They simply won't allow user submitted codes because:

A) their program doesn't support custom input besides existing code indeces

B) they only want you to use their codes. They have stated that they do not want to interfere with online play (ie designer pokemon). If you have a custom code you want that doesn't impact online play, you can submit it as a suggestion on their site.

A while ago I posted how a code could be done for training bags and puffs, and where the code should be applied. Since it doesn't effect online, they added it.

So yes, you can get your own codes added so long as they aren't retarded, infeasible, or touching online play.

kingofgamesgx

Hitokiri Battousai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kaphotics random question but from what you know would it be possible to change the shiny value of an egg so it would hatch shiny on the current save?

i have wondered about that for a while now seeing the shinify code changes the TID making it so you can't change a pokemons nickname after it has been shinfied

Kaphotics

badc0ded
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc Datel doesn't want to touch the PID (legality is unknown) so they change the SID instead.

It's probably the better option as you can clone&nickname first before making it shiny; also it prevents users from deceiving other users with hacked shinies with the same OT/ID. If you want legal shinies just abuse TSV/ESV trading, and just ask the hatcher to nickname.

x66x66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those ACNL fans out there, Datel added wallpaper and flooring recently. You can get the wallpaper/flooring for the nook stores and Gracie Grace. They don't appear in the catalog but they're cool to have

dsdavis6

Trophies
XP
Country
any news on the pokeball pattern vivillon event?

The special Poké Ball designed Vivillon will be making its first worldwide appearance at the Paris Pokémon Center and as of now, is exclusive to this location. The Vivillon will be distributed at level 12 and will know the moves Stun Spore, Gust, Light Screen, and Struggle Bug. The distribution will take place between June 4th and June 21st at the Pokémon Center location in the Crémerie de Paris.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol