Next Smash Bros. Dropping Cutscenes Because Of Online Uploads

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the last entry for the series, featured a campaign called The Subspace Emissary. It was basically a crack fic on steroids, throwing the varied roster into a single narrative. The story wasn't exactly high art, but it was a decent enough excuse to create insane team ups of classic characters (and the Ice Climbers), both in gameplay and cutscene form.

If you enjoyed those cutscenes, well, too bad. They're not coming back because of... uh, the internet.

Series creator Masahiro Sakurai recently shared his disappointment that the cutscenes were uploaded to the internet. In a regular column on Weekly Famitsu (translated by Kotaku), he explained why he won't be including them in the series' next entry.

"I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them," Sakurai wrote. Instead, characters will get intro sequences similar to what we saw at E3 with the introduction of Mega Man, Animal Crossing's Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer.
:arrow: GameInformer

More like Super Smash Bros. Bawl.

Nintendo's relationship with the internet isn't exactly stellar (cough cough), and here is yet another bump in the road. It seems absolutely silly to remove cutscenes, of all things, just because they end up on the internet. I mean, everything ends up on the internet. You wouldn't remove the game's score just because people might listen to it "out of context" online, right? Right?

...You know, I'm going to stop talking before I give them any more ideas.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
All I can say is...

VfNpftU.png

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
any type of gameplay or any cutscenes or intros scenes will find it way to the Internet at some point
be it youtube or a live stream(like twitch)

it will be on the intent at some point

so why cut them
people will still like to see them in a good quality(right forom the game) on there own system
many people(with bad Internet and or a bad PC) can not watch online/streaming HD videos

D

Deleted_171835

"I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them," Sakurai wrote. Instead, characters will get intro sequences similar to what we saw at E3 with the introduction of Mega Man, Animal Crossing's Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer.
Isn't that pretty much the same thing...?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
They think people care about the cutscenes for SSE? They were some of the dumbest shit I've seen (fanfic on crack is right), the only reason I didn't skip them was so I'd have a better idea of what the goal for the next stage would be.

Adventure Mode in Melee worked just fine.

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hardly the most important part of the game, but I thought it was a nice added bit of fun to the single-player. Shame to see it go, hope Nintendo devs pull their heads out of their asses about the internet soon.

Lushay

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He was upset that the cut scenes were uploaded on the Internet? What? That's kind of a really weird excuse. I would understand if they were absent on 3ds, but the fact they are taking them out of the WiiU version as well is a little strange. As long as they make it up in better game play I guess I won't miss it that much.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
YES!
BTW I cannot find the cutscenes to be honest.
( I wished they removed the cutscenes form Metroid other M, or at least make them skippable.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1