Android Nexus 7 not good enough for DS emulation?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that DraStic runs nearly flawlessly on my Nvidia SHIELD Portable, in terms of emulation accuracy and speed. Minor audio skips in Pokemon gen 5 games, hardly noticeable, and doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest.

Exophase, do you think adding a higher-resolution internal rendering engine would be doable in the near future? There are Desmume forks that offer this for x86 and x64, dramatically improving the 3D graphics of DS games. And I'm not worried about a refund, I support your hard work. :yaynds:

Will test again today to see what's going on, Exophase reassured me that the hardware is definitely more than capable of running many games without much sacrifice. Final Fantasy VI ran flawlessly, but I'll try other ROMs to see what I get in the demo.

2012 model, and either Android 4.1.2 or 4.2.0. I haven't used the N7 in a while but I used DraStic a bit on it when it first came out. I think I tried some 3D games on it, I mostly played 999 though.

Never really heard of that, but there is something screwy going on :P

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
the_randomizer you know we have the same nexus... And mine runs DS games full speed using the drastic emu.

I am using the opt-in test version tho.

Played a bit of professor Layton too. :)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the_randomizer you know we have the same nexus... And mine runs DS games full speed using the drastic emu.

I am using the opt-in test version tho.

Played a bit of professor Layton too. :)

Um, so, what do you suggest? I haven't had a chance to truly test it out in-depth and frankly, I'm wary to spend the money before I know for sure. You mean a beta version? Well, those tend to be unpredictable since it's a beta. How much does your battery life get affected? Because frankly, something's seriously FUBAR.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Um, so, what do you suggest? I haven't had a chance to truly test it out in-depth and frankly, I'm wary to spend the money before I know for sure. You mean a beta version? Well, those tend to be unpredictable since it's a beta. How much does your battery life get affected? Because frankly, something's seriously FUBAR.

I'm don't want to tell you something wrong cause I know money is tight these days for eveyone and I don't want you to waste your money.

I'm on 4.4.4 and 5.0.2 and I use the touch screen. Games which are button heavy I use my DS or 3DS. So our setup is completely different.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm don't want to tell you something wrong cause I know money is right these days for eveyone and I don't want you to waste yiur money.

I'm on 4.4.4 and 5.0.2 and I use the touch screen. Games which are button heavy I use my DS or 3DS. So our setup is completely different.

I'm on 4.4.4. and 4.1.2 because I absolutely have to have Wii Classic Controller support, I really hate touchscreen controls, and it makes it easier. No need for me to be on another OS due to how Android effed up the Bluetooth code for Wii controllers (nice going, Google). I don't know why Dragon Quest VI ran so poorly and FFIV DS didn't. I'm so confused, and I'm wary to spend 6 dollars now.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post, however, I do have an update on the situation after I've done testing with the demo, and my results, let's just say that I'm quite impressed :P

Below are my test results: For the record, audio is set to very high for latency, seems to have minimal ill effects :D Exophase thank you for all your help ^_^

Chrono Trigger DS - Full speed
Final Fantasy III - Full speed
Final Fantasy IV - Full speed
Super Mario 64 DS - Full speed
Nanostray - Full speed
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - Full speed
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Full speed
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - A tricky bugger, flickering screens and slowdown, very hard on emulator
New Super Mario Bros - Full speed
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - Full speed
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation - Full speed
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time - Full speed

Well, these are a good number of games tested. I am impressed XD Now, I assume Wii classic controllers can be mapped to work with this, right? I'm so glad I was wrong! Would it be too harsh to set the frameskip to zero?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the double post, however, I do have an update on the situation after I've done testing with the demo, and my results, let's just say that I'm quite impressed :P

Below are my test results: For the record, audio is set to very high for latency, seems to have minimal ill effects :D Exophase thank you for all your help ^_^

Chrono Trigger DS - Full speed
Final Fantasy III - Full speed
Final Fantasy IV - Full speed
Super Mario 64 DS - Full speed
Nanostray - Full speed
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - Full speed
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Full speed
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - A tricky bugger, flickering screens and slowdown, very hard on emulator
New Super Mario Bros - Full speed
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - Full speed
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation - Full speed
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time - Full speed

Well, these are a good number of games tested. I am impressed XD Now, I assume Wii classic controllers can be mapped to work with this, right? I'm so glad I was wrong! Would it be too harsh to set the frameskip to zero?

Golden Sun doesnt work on any hardware with the paid version of Drastic. No hardware runs that game, its glitchy because of the emu.

Most games should run fine, an overclocked S7800 @ 1.6ghz runs all games flawlessly so you should be seeing similar if not better results.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Golden Sun doesnt work on any hardware with the paid version of Drastic. No hardware runs that game, its glitchy because of the emu.

Most games should run fine, an overclocked S7800 @ 1.6ghz runs all games flawlessly so you should be seeing similar if not better results.

Right, it's one helluva game to run. I can run that on my PC, but not without tweaking a lot of settings on DeSmuME. To sum up this thread, I originally had doubts due to the fact I used an older version, and the main developer actually commented on here, giving me a lot of help for which I'm grateful for. Now, all I need to do is buy the app, which I'm more than willing to do :P

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right, it's one helluva game to run. I can run that on my PC, but not without tweaking a lot of settings on DeSmuME. To sum up this thread, I originally had doubts due to the fact I used an older version, and the main developer actually commented on here, giving me a lot of help for which I'm grateful for. Now, all I need to do is buy the app, which I'm more than willing to do :P

Yeah its well worth the money. I think I paid for that app on the day it was released. Granted, its not had a store update for quite a while but it really is as close to perfect as you could hope for already (bar a few games). Id guess the compatibility is in the high 90s percentage wise. And ones that work, work as good as on native hardware.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Exophase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exophase, do you think adding a higher-resolution internal rendering engine would be doable in the near future? There are Desmume forks that offer this for x86 and x64, dramatically improving the 3D graphics of DS games. And I'm not worried about a refund, I support your hard work. :yaynds:

4x rendering is something I want to work on after the next version is out. However, I have to stress that the emulator only has a software renderer, so the performance impact will be huge. It's a feature that will probably only work decently on high end hardware.

This was true for the first few versions, but hasn't been the case since - I've had a tester play through until the finish. But the game is very demanding, and uses graphics in a way such that frameskip causes big problems (the flickering) during parts of it (but not all of it, once you get in-game it's not that bad)

Now, I assume Wii classic controllers can be mapped to work with this, right? I'm so glad I was wrong! Would it be too harsh to set the frameskip to zero?

I don't think we've tested the Wii controller specifically but I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work either, and this is probably the sort of thing we'd have gotten reports on if it didn't. But I'd still recommend getting it working in the demo.

I personally wouldn't set frameskip off. The auto-frameskip is pretty reliable, and even if the game normally runs full speed, it can help if something in the background suddenly steals a bunch of CPU time, or if the game grinds when transitioning between screens, things like that.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah its well worth the money. I think I paid for that app on the day it was released. Granted, its not had a store update for quite a while but it really is as close to perfect as you could hope for already (bar a few games). Id guess the compatibility is in the high 90s percentage wise. And ones that work, work as good as on native hardware.

It's still being worked on, I know that as there is a beta program you can opt in, but betas are unstable, naturally. The project ain't dead though, that much I know :P But yeah, I was quite impressed, does it work with Wii remotes though? I want to use my Classic Controller with it, so I assume I can map controls to it like I can with ePSXe on Android :D

4x rendering is something I want to work on after the next version is out. However, I have to stress that the emulator only has a software renderer, so the performance impact will be huge. It's a feature that will probably only work decently on high end hardware.

This was true for the first few versions, but hasn't been the case since - I've had a tester play through until the finish. But the game is very demanding, and uses graphics in a way such that frameskip causes big problems (the flickering) during parts of it (but not all of it, once you get in-game it's not that bad)

I don't think we've tested the Wii controller specifically but I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work either, and this is probably the sort of thing we'd have gotten reports on if it didn't. But I'd still recommend getting it working in the demo.

I personally wouldn't set frameskip off. The auto-frameskip is pretty reliable, and even if the game normally runs full speed, it can help if something in the background suddenly steals a bunch of CPU time, or if the game grinds when transitioning between screens, things like that.

Wow, quick response! Thanks again for your help, I only asked about the classic controller is because touchscreen controls get a little cramped after a while, you know? But with the Wii remote app, I can just sync it, load the emulator and then map the controls, at least that's my understanding, and yeah, I won't change the frameskip to lower than one, doesn't seem to be any issues with that, maybe up to two if need be. Golden Sun has issues on Desmume on the PC port too, it's a very strange game in how it uses hardware. Thanks for all your work, keep it up, and I'll keep you posted.

Exophase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exophase long shot but do you see a later version of Drastic (very later) emulating local play from one device to another via bluetooth?

Lordus and I did some tests and investigations into this, and it looks like the latency requirements are extremely high. I doubt bluetooth or wifi would ever be able to emulate it directly. That, and the hardware isn't really fully understood (we talked to sgstair who did a lot of the original reverse engineering and he has some ideas to do more one day). My guess is that the only way this could really happen is to emulate two DSes locally in lock-step on both ends and synchronize button presses, but this would of course have a huge performance overhead.

Emulating the infrastructure capability of the wifi chip so it can connect to custom servers (not WFC since it was taken down) is more realistic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway