Nintendo announces Game Builder Garage, where you can make your own games

"Anyone can be a game programmer", is the tagline to Nintendo's latest first-party title. The newly-revealed Game Builder Garage goes beyond the idea of a Mario Maker, letting you build anything that you can think of. Opening the floor to anyone that's willing, Game Builder Garage, is, as the name implies, a game making game that simplifies the process greatly. You'll be able to go through step-by-step lessons that show you how to make a game, where you'll be able to swipe through concepts and apply them to your game. A teaser trailer shows tons of possibilities, from simple undefined platformers, to fully-realized games from varying genres. Games can be shared with others, and friends can play finished projects, or help further build upon them. Game Builder Garage is due out on the Nintendo Switch on June 11th of this year.

Spring_Spring

Not Exactly Spotless
Trophies
Website
spring-enterprises.neocities.org
XP
Country
Denmark
Game maker studio is hot garbage, but the original game maker could not be simpler.

You could build an entire game from a complex GTA clone to a simple pacman game with this:

gmtut-001.png

Pure bliss. It had both a graphical programming system (not like Scratch though), and a scripting language. It even had a built-in sprite editor with animation features!

What's wrong with GMS compared to 7.0 ? :O if anything, it seems like a tradeoff really, not that 7.0 is clearly superior :O

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They pretty much ripped out the Labo game/software and made it a standalone.
That was my first thought as well.

By the way there was this game in one of the past (indie?) Directs where you mix up two genres to create a game and play it. Anyone remember the name?
Nevermind, it's SuperMash.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Game maker studio is hot garbage, but the original game maker could not be simpler.

You could build an entire game from a complex GTA clone to a simple pacman game with this:

gmtut-001.png

Pure bliss. It had both a graphical programming system (not like Scratch though), and a scripting language. It even had a built-in sprite editor with animation features!

Yet, GM:S supports more target platforms out of the box. I still get your vibe, though. Even though I'd always prefer GM:S, I would also always implement my own physics and variables rather than using the built-in ones. I'm probably not even using anything that came after GM8.

That being said, now I have to hate Nintendo for announcing this just when I started a new project.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe someone would make Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 happen with this. Although, I remember trying out RPG Maker XV on the Switch and all the top ones are pretty awful.
A lot of RPG Maker games are bad in general. To actually be able to do anything remotely interesting you need to know JavaScript or Ruby for the older versions, to be able to program scripts and extensions, which most people using RPG Maker can't do (and of course the console version probably doesn't support scripting, or if it does it's probably limited). A ton of Game Maker games are terrible too. It's really just Unity and Unreal Engine that allow solid games to be made with visual scripting but with the caveat pf reduced performance.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
wow... is nintendo becoming creative by allowing you to make your own magic and show your creativity or are they running out of ideas so much that they will charge you to make games yourself because they dont have anything besides resmasters?!

this should be QOTW!

D

Deleted User

Having recently watched the Anime that took 4 years to create on Flipnote Studio 3D in the Nintendo 3DS, I could easily put this Release as the Japanese just being Japanese.

Additionally, if the Games built on this Software can only run in its native Environment then it automatically creates a Proprietary attachment with the Nintendo Ecosystem; in the off-chance there are memorable gems, they will be remembered as such.

For Adult Gamers that already sounds like a Nintendo-esque move, let alone for the younger Generation who are just starting to form their Brand Loyalty.

On an International Business perspective, that would be called playing the Long Game.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
Yes, the release of this game means that Nintendo will be shutting down as a video-game company.

if there is real truth in that statement it will be a shame, nintendo stuck to their guns for calling themselves a family based game product!

the switch was their saving grace but not sure how much longer they can do it for.. their next game console and line up of games needs to be mind blowing... who thinks they will go down the headset route for VR Mario?

Actually looking at an IGN article it looks like 85 million switches sold... fair play to them

Last edited by DAZA,
Reactions: k7ra

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_BoSbUiQgs