Nintendo Announces Super NES Classic Edition

SNES_Mini_Box.jpg
H2x1_NintendoClassicMiniSNES_image912w.jpg

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo’s follow-up console to the legendary Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1991 and introduced what many consider some of the greatest video games of all time – classics such as Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid and F-ZERO.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo's follow-up console to the legendary Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1991 and introduced what many consider some of the greatest video games of all time. (Photo: Business Wire)

On Sept. 29, this beloved console is coming back to stores in the form of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition. The mini system, which contains 21 pre-installed classic games and can easily be plugged into any high-definition TV using the included HDMI cable, will be available at a suggested retail price of $79.99. And for the first time, players who pick up the system can enjoy the intergalactic adventure Star Fox 2, the sequel to the original Star Fox game that was created during the Super NES era but never released … anywhere!

“While many people from around the world consider the Super NES to be one of the greatest video game systems ever made, many of our younger fans never had a chance to play it,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “With the Super NES Classic Edition, new fans will be introduced to some of the best Nintendo games of all time, while longtime fans can relive some of their favorite retro classics with family and friends.”

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition has the same look and feel of the original system – only smaller – and comes pre-loaded with 21 incredible games:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
    • Donkey Kong Country
    • EarthBound
    • Final Fantasy III
    • F-ZERO
    • Kirby Super Star
    • Kirby’s Dream Course
    • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • Mega Man® X
    • Secret of Mana
    • Star Fox
    • Star Fox 2
    • Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    • Super Castlevania IV
    • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
    • Super Mario Kart
    • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    • Super Mario World
    • Super Metroid
    • Super Punch-Out!!
    • Yoshi’s Island
All of these games would be considered classics by anyone’s standards, and some of them in particular – Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III, EarthBound and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars – are massive role-playing games that can take dozens of hours to complete. Even for super fans who have played all of these games multiple times, the inclusion of the never-before-released Star Fox 2 game will offer them something entirely new to enjoy – if they can unlock it by proving their skills in the original Star Fox game. (Well, they only have to complete the first level – we didn’t want to make it too hard!)

Included with the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition are one HDMI cable, one USB charging cable with AC adapter and two wired Super NES Classic Controllers, perfect for playing multiplayer games. Having two controllers will make it easy for two players to dive into multiplayer action right away. Some of the games with multiplayer options include Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Mario Kart, Contra III: The Alien Wars and Secret of Mana.

*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition launches on Sept. 29 at a suggested retail price of $79.99.

:arrow:Super Nes Classic Official Site

drwhojan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by drwhojan,

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad this still uses the extension controller ports. You would've thought those had been phased out already.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

deltax5

Trophies
XP
Country
If they hack it. Wonder how much more storage there would be. THey will prob only have enough memory for the extra saves and a bit of defragment. Maybe it will allow to remove the games so you can put your own games. maybe even compress the games like i hear you can on the mini. I would remove kirby golf game and put something in it's place.

drwhojan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they hack it. Wonder how much more storage there would be. THey will prob only have enough memory for the extra saves and a bit of defragment. Maybe it will allow to remove the games so you can put your own games. maybe even compress the games like i hear you can on the mini. I would remove kirby golf game and put something in it's place.

For a full almost game set, your talking about at lest 3 GB of space need, mini nes was men't to use about 512mb of storage half of one gigabyte .

I can't see them using that amount, but who knows time will tell!

But yes nes could use zip files.

Last edited by drwhojan,

deltax5

Trophies
XP
Country
maybe someone will event some sort of adapter with a sd reader that goes in the back where the usb goes that's if it's possible to to send data throu the usb where the power goes.

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe someone will event some sort of adapter with a sd reader that goes in the back where the usb goes that's if it's possible to to send data throu the usb where the power goes.
It will possibly be like the NES Mini, where you can add games with a homebrew program through mini usb.

Reactions: spotanjo3

bakageta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will possibly be like the NES Mini, where you can add games with a homebrew program through mini usb.

Personally, I wouldn't assume that. I would expect Nintendo to learn their lesson and use an internal header for initial flashing, and remove the data pins from the USB. It would be a trivial PCB change, and I doubt they had tons of PCBs made up from before the NES classic was hacked. If that's the case, it might still be hackable with a jtag or similar, but that's a fair bit more involved than just plugging it into the pc and hacking away.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's right. If a pre-sale item isn't released within 30 days it's against eBay rules to be selling it, sometimes it passes by while others it doesn't. Not as if it matters too much, it's sold out and hard to get so those that stupidly want to pay more than it's worth, it's their problem.

And they are still out there on Ebay and break the rules. Nobody reported to take them down.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Uk buyers, game.co.uk hasn't pre orders open again!

http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-classic-edition-2024185

Fly my pretties!
GAME is a bit unreliable. Early buyers are 99% safe but late ones may get their orders cancelled so it's better to just order from a different retailer if possible.

Funnily enough, I've found it far easier to pre-order the Classic SNES than Metroid: Samus Return Limited Edition which goes out of stock within minutes (Amazon Spain, Amazon France and Amazon Germany).

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Last edited by Sliter,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

I don't know if someone already shown here but the Japanese site showed how the controllers gonna be attached!
00000703_02.jpg

It was better than I expected hahaha

The game selection is very nice there, also includes Star Fox 2
here's the official website:
https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/74fe7608-5638-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html
Yeah, we've seen it already before but it's always nice to see it again. I quite like those two 'teeth' of the SNES and with what appears, its tongue out. :P

I kind of despised the Classic NES but the Classic SNES is going to be a must.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I'm definitely dreading trying to find one at MSRP during the three months they are allegedly available.
The American Classic SNES is taking ages to go up on pre-order and when it does it'll probably be sold out within 5-10mins.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really wanted one .. actually a superfamicom/european snes , but can't it now .. maybe I gonna pass this again =3=
and if it's possible to add game would be even more nicer because I could play some fan translations I'm helping at hahaha

S

Saiyan Lusitano

IGN hands-on with the American/Canadian SNES (S-nezz :P).

I gotta admit, this somehow looks even uglier than it was already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag