Nintendo Announces Super NES Classic Edition

SNES_Mini_Box.jpg
H2x1_NintendoClassicMiniSNES_image912w.jpg

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo’s follow-up console to the legendary Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1991 and introduced what many consider some of the greatest video games of all time – classics such as Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid and F-ZERO.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo's follow-up console to the legendary Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1991 and introduced what many consider some of the greatest video games of all time. (Photo: Business Wire)

On Sept. 29, this beloved console is coming back to stores in the form of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition. The mini system, which contains 21 pre-installed classic games and can easily be plugged into any high-definition TV using the included HDMI cable, will be available at a suggested retail price of $79.99. And for the first time, players who pick up the system can enjoy the intergalactic adventure Star Fox 2, the sequel to the original Star Fox game that was created during the Super NES era but never released … anywhere!

“While many people from around the world consider the Super NES to be one of the greatest video game systems ever made, many of our younger fans never had a chance to play it,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “With the Super NES Classic Edition, new fans will be introduced to some of the best Nintendo games of all time, while longtime fans can relive some of their favorite retro classics with family and friends.”

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition has the same look and feel of the original system – only smaller – and comes pre-loaded with 21 incredible games:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
    • Donkey Kong Country
    • EarthBound
    • Final Fantasy III
    • F-ZERO
    • Kirby Super Star
    • Kirby’s Dream Course
    • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • Mega Man® X
    • Secret of Mana
    • Star Fox
    • Star Fox 2
    • Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    • Super Castlevania IV
    • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
    • Super Mario Kart
    • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    • Super Mario World
    • Super Metroid
    • Super Punch-Out!!
    • Yoshi’s Island
All of these games would be considered classics by anyone’s standards, and some of them in particular – Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III, EarthBound and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars – are massive role-playing games that can take dozens of hours to complete. Even for super fans who have played all of these games multiple times, the inclusion of the never-before-released Star Fox 2 game will offer them something entirely new to enjoy – if they can unlock it by proving their skills in the original Star Fox game. (Well, they only have to complete the first level – we didn’t want to make it too hard!)

Included with the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition are one HDMI cable, one USB charging cable with AC adapter and two wired Super NES Classic Controllers, perfect for playing multiplayer games. Having two controllers will make it easy for two players to dive into multiplayer action right away. Some of the games with multiplayer options include Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Mario Kart, Contra III: The Alien Wars and Secret of Mana.

*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition launches on Sept. 29 at a suggested retail price of $79.99.

:arrow:Super Nes Classic Official Site

DNA64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But only around 300MB is usable for games and saves, meaning no full ROM set. We'll have to pick and choose what we want to include to stay under 300MB.
Yes, sorry I'm well aware of the limitations of the stock ROM on the NES Classic and should have mentioned that. Luckily that won't be and issue for long.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why someone would want an entire ROM set. At least half of the games on any given console is shovelware.

This is perfect with the following additions: Chrono Trigger, TMNT4, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Mega Man X2, DKC2, Pilotwings, Tetris Attack and one good shmup (R-Type 3, Gradius 3, Super Aleste). Any more, and you're kinda missing the point of a product like this.

DNA64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't get why someone would want an entire ROM set. At least half of the games on any given console is shovelware.

This is perfect with the following additions: Chrono Trigger, TMNT4, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Mega Man X2, DKC2, Pilotwings, Tetris Attack and one good shmup (R-Type 3, Gradius 3, Super Aleste). Any more, and you're kinda missing the point of a product like this.

I agree that the entire ROM set is a waste of space, as many of the games are just plain crap. My NES only has NES Games, and I'm slowly removing any not worth playing, but it's fun to find new games you haven't played before that are enjoyable. The same can be said for the SNES, I will only have SNES games on it, I have many other systems for Emulation if I want. But there are many more games you haven't mentioned that are still fun to play like,Earthworm Jim, Final Fantasy, MK3, etc, and when friends come over and want to play the SNES Mini and ask to play a game for it, I'd like it to be on there.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I initially had everything under the sun on my NESC. NES, GB, GBC, SNES, GEN, MSX, PS1, MAME, FBA. I've mostly pared that down to NES, Genesis and some arcade games. The more I did to it, the less stable it got. It crashes doing simple things like changing folders or exiting a game.

Provided "Super Hakchi" works, I'm going to wait for the most stable version, and only make a single install with the 15-or-so ROMs I want, and never touch it again. No RetroArch, no other emulators, no folders, super simple. Functionality is the most important thing, not number of games.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck to anyone who pre-ordered from Game UK from the US. My pre-order has been canceled. I still have one with Amazon UK that is still valid. These should start shipping soon. Has anyone gotten any shipment notifications? I've heard elsewhere they're starting to ship.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck to anyone who pre-ordered from Game UK from the US. My pre-order has been canceled. I still have one with Amazon UK that is still valid. These should start shipping soon. Has anyone gotten any shipment notifications? I've heard elsewhere they're starting to ship.

Not yet, I have one from Amazon UK, but no notification for shipment yet. I'd assume it'd ship out this week sometime. Game UK can suck it, they can't fulfill orders any better than Amazon notifying people of an item being in stock.

Edit: Says it will ship the 28th under "track order", but we'll see.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here for it saying 28th. I paid for expedited shipping, so delivery estimate is 30th - 3rd.

There's expedited shipping for UK to US? Hmm, I don't think I can change it now, crap >.>

Edit: Nope, added expedited for another 15 bucks or so, worth it XD

Last edited by the_randomizer,

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazon UK expedited shipping is legit. I bought something from there last month, paid 20GBP for expedited. Ordered it on 9/7, and it was on my doorstep on the 11th. Shipped via UPS

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazon UK expedited shipping is legit. I bought something from there last month, paid 20GBP for expedited. Ordered it on 9/7, and it was on my doorstep on the 11th. Shipped via UPS

So far, it's up to 75 GBP or about 101 dollars USD, wonder how much it would be for 2-day shipping (they do have that, apparently), then again, it's not much worse than paying 90 plus sales tax.

Edit: Ah what the hell, it'll get here anywhere from 30th to the 3rd, I've pretty much got my job back, my boss is gonna touch bases with me soon, that, and I can get extra money selling plasma :P

Last edited by the_randomizer,

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I paid the GlobalPriority 2-4 day option. I didn't get my NES Classic until end of January. I want this one NOW, dammit. :D

And I've had something go missing shipping standard from Amazon UK. It ended up arriving a month late. Not taking any risks.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I paid the GlobalPriority 2-4 day option. I didn't get my NES Classic until end of January. I want this one NOW, dammit. :D

And I've had something go missing shipping standard from Amazon UK. It ended up arriving a month late. Not taking any risks.

I dunno, I trust them to ship it then have it here by the beginning of next week.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be very relieved when it does ship. I pre-ordered the first link available on the first day, before Amazon created the second link which had more description and activity. The one I ordered was called at the time "Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System" for GBP 58.33. I'm still worried it won't be honored.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be very relieved when it does ship. I pre-ordered the first link available on the first day, before Amazon created the second link which had more description and activity. The one I ordered was called at the time "Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System" for GBP 58.33. I'm still worried it won't be honored.

I don't know, it's weird that there were two entries, and that the second entry was all to conveniently 404'd, only way to retrieve it is via cached page, that's totally not shady at all. You can always ask customer service.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, it's weird that there were two entries, and that the second entry was all to conveniently 404'd, only way to retrieve it is via cached page, that's totally not shady at all. You can always ask customer service.
Both still appear to me

The one I ordered: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Entertainment-System/dp/B073BVHY3F
This one is currently #5,262 in PC and Video Games, but is the first search result

The later one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Console-Videogames-Nintendo-Classic-Mini/dp/B073FNFTL2
This one is currently #39 in PC and Video Games

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both still appear to me

The one I ordered: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Entertainment-System/dp/B073BVHY3F
This one is currently #5,262 in PC and Video Games, but is the first search result

The later one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Console-Videogames-Nintendo-Classic-Mini/dp/B073FNFTL2
This one is currently #39 in PC and Video Games

I was thinking of the two US URLs, one still works, the other is suspiciously hard to access without using a cached site.

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
I just got an notification that my snes is coming today.
I pre-ordered it over Micromania (france) :)
Without any fast shipping methods I usually have good patience

Here it is :D
a0c3acwno94pwj7jy50s54687.png

Last edited by Baoulettes,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_