Nintendo announces the Nintendo Switch Lite

After months of rumours and leaks, Nintendo have finally confirmed the existence of the Nintendo Switch Lite. It's a device dedicated to handheld play, rather than the usual hybrid nature of the Nintendo Switch. It releases on the 20th of September It will come in three different colours at launch—yellow, grey, and blue. Nintendo states that it supports all Nintendo Switch software that allows handheld play.[prebreak][/prebreak]

In addition to the three colours of Nintendo Switch Lite available at launch, Nintendo will release a limited Nintendo Switch Lite Zacian & Zamazenta Edition console on 8th November, featuring stylish cyan and magenta buttons and illustrations of the two new Legendary Pokémon from the upcoming Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games
:arrow: Source
:arrow: More information

Attachments

• switch lite.png
    switch lite.png
    415 KB · Views: 205
  • Swlite.png
    Swlite.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 104

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess we're looking at a die shrink and most likely patched Tegra SoC. It would make the most sense because of the reported 30% battery life improvement. Also, the rumors of a new Stadia capable Nvidia Shield TV with die shrink and overclocked GPU makes this seem even more plausible.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Glad I held off on getting a Switch, think one of these will do nicely.

I would agree but the joy cons are not detachable.
I've had to buy three pairs in 1 year because of drift.
I ditched the PS Vita mainly for this.

----------

PS: It's really upsetting me that Nintendo kept denying there wouldn't be another variant for the Switch!

Last edited by Zumoly,

Sillybunnie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lots of comments about hd rumble (or 3d rumble) but im embarrassed to ask what the heck is hd rumble vs what rumble exists in other systems? havent really noticed anything different about the switches rumble vs other systems. is hd rumble only in the joycons or is it in pro controller too?

i have so many ps4 controllers that instead of buying pro controllers to take up more space in my place i just bought two 8bitdo adapters (got two for under $20) to repurpose the ps4 controllers collecting dust since way more 4 player games on switch than ps4. am i missing out on rumble then?

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are there even games that dont work in handheld? i enever saw a game that only works on tv imo.besdies like mario party? which will probably recieve an update to work with it, if they say you need to buy joycons for 1-2 switch to work and whatnot.

i wonder if batery life is better, if this thing can get like easy 5 hours batery life it could be good, i only play switch portable mode so i dont care much for for it.

that would just be worthless, first nintendo has been defeated over and over on home market and been thriumphant in portable market, anyone who wants to play big games on a huge tv doesnt go for nintendo, they go for ps4 or xbone, so nintendo going back to releasing a pure switch home mode would just suck, well i will probably dont buy this but if there is ever a switch pro i will get it.
You realize Nintendo won last gen right? Makes more sense to let the switch be the 3ds replacement and release another home console. Microsoft and Sony are about to release ninth generation consoles. Switch is eighth generation just like the Wii U & 3ds. Nintendo would be better off to release a home console with an upgraded tegra since they are already releasing a switch lite.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch has an awesome library and making it more accessible is in the right direction. I hope they'll announce an even cheaper tv-only model.

But I absolutely despise this design. The analogs are very vulnerable while transporting and not being replaceable it's a nightmare situation. Worser than Vita which I hate carrying. A carrying case is not optional and should have been included. Otherwise it's perfectly fine.
Honestly speaking I don’t know why they took the docking feature out. To keep costs low, they could’ve just not included a dock in the box. That way parents could buy a Lite for each of their kids but only buy one dock which all of them share. Anyone who wanted a dock could buy it separately.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the plan. Cancel the current switch and sale a specific dock for the lite. Block the current dock from working by putting an unlock chip in the new dock.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I like the name- Switch Lite over Switch Mini is so much better

but if this fully loses the TV dock feature? that's a hard fail- AT LEAST INCLUDE that via software- controllers sliding out/HD rumble people can live without... but the whole point of the SWITCH is to connect TV OR handheld

huge missed opportunity... otherwise lets see how it fairs.

260 in canada apparently... I bought mine beat up and used with 3 games a little less then that price and I still actually carry it around from time to time (big pockets)

I'll stick with what I have over this

Reactions: yadspi

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The salt towards an option, that some people don't even want. This Switch isn't aimed at them, rather you can get a used Switch or not.

Quite frankly, it isn't aimed at me either. As much as I like portables, I don't want a non-hybrid Switch. Luckily, I doubt the "Switch Pro" will be dock only.

Switch Lite (because that would probably overclock it and cause it to heat up).
That's a good point, still, if they wanted to, they could have had it underclock on dock. That said, idk, you may as well get a regular Switch, if you want dock mode too.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the plan. Cancel the current switch and sale a specific dock for the lite. Block the current dock from working by putting an unlock chip in the new dock.

not a chance in hell will that happen

I think unlike the OG 3DS the OG Switch will live and become more future proof... kinda like that OLED Vita... Nintendo messed up huge all they have to do is include a docking like feature with a cable and the right ports. the insignia dock seems to make all these things work without frying the system

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When are you gonna realize it doesnt switch- any name with Switch in is utter nonsense and some people at nintendo should be fkin fired for such stupidity-shouldnt even be a lite version of anything should be putting all ther effort in a better switch

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

but if this fully loses the TV dock feature? that's a hard fail- AT LEAST INCLUDE that via software- controllers sliding out/HD rumble people can live without... but the whole point of the SWITCH is to connect TV OR handheld

huge missed opportunity... otherwise lets see how it fairs.

260 in canada apparently... I bought mine beat up and used with 3 games a little less then that price and I still actually carry it around from time to time (big pockets)

I'll stick with what I have over this

Nintendo also sales them refurbished on their website for 200.00 without the joycon attachments and without the joycon grip. Full year warrantee included. Honestly I never use the joycon attachments. I also stopped using the joy con grip. Easier just to use my snes pro by 8bitdo. Don’t have to waste time taking the joycons out and such

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's about durn time! So this is one of the rumored devices I've heard so much about. So, here's what we all know so far:

• It does not support TV or Tabletop mode. That doesn't mean that there won't be hardware (by Nintendo or licensed partners) that makes this possible, or somebody won't try to hack it so it has support (like those people who do custom cases and such for older systems).
  • It is $100 less (in the U.S., anyway). Part of the reason why the existing Switch costs so much is because of the extra hardware and features that are removed in the Lite version.
  • The controls are permanently attached to the system, removing some Joy-Con features like HD Rumble and IR Camera. That means you'll have to shell out $80 more bucks for a pair of Joy-Cons for compatible games. Probably best to get them pre-owned at GameStop, or check Ebay, Craigslist, or even thrift stores if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it.
  • The Switch Lite will launch in three colors, with a fourth Pokemon-related design coming in November. Knowing Nintendo, these probably won't be the only designs and colors the Switch Lite will come in.

While new hardware is always exciting, I kind of wonder what this will mean for the Wii U and 3DS systems. The Wii U is currently on life support as it is, and with this new dedicated handheld Switch system, does that mean that 3DSes will be gone too? I worry about the eShop for both consoles, as I have yet to get some games which I've been having my eye on for years and just never had the time or money to spend on such, and I'm sure there are others who feel the same.

I also am a little disappointed about a few things which I hope will be remedied shortly after the Switch Lite's launch:

• The lack of TV support. For those who expect this to be like the original Switch system, this will be a bit disconcerting for them. While the Joy-Con issues can be remedied with an additional purchase, the Lite will not be able to be used with a TV dock. At least, that's what we've been told. There may be a way to make it work regardless, but as of right now, we're not sure.
  • The paid Switch Online service. Online play on devices before the Switch was always free, and should be again - perhaps a Nintendo Switch Online Lite would be appropriate. The difference between paid Online and Online Lite is that Online Lite is free online play without all the perks like cloud storage and NES games (which, in my opinion, should be given access to separately, but whatevs).
  • No additional hardware that allows Wii, Wii U, and perhaps even 3DS games to be played on the Switch family of systems, in order to keep the life of such going. This could kill support for those consoles, but at the same time the features of such consoles could be compatible with the Switch via software that goes with the hardware that makes those games work (Spotpass, for instance). Backwards compatibility has always been an issue that Nintendo barely addresses, and ignoring the Virtual Console, only two TV consoles have native support for the console previous. It would be nice, still, to see that remedied via extra hardware.
  • No support, in any form, of SNES, N64, GameCube, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and Nintendo DS titles on the Switch. Unless I am mistaken, there are no games from those platforms that are on the Switch yet.

This is why I have a blog post about my problems with Nintendo, due to the Switch being overpromoted and costly. I pray, actually, that Nintendo does well, but if they should fail, then I want them to fail and be able to bounce back with better service to consumers. I'm not anti-Nintendo, I'm anti-do-whatever-the-heck-you-want-regardless-of-what-the-customers-want.

Last edited by HarveyHouston, , Reason: Link deleted; commenting in Why I Believe Nintendo Should Fail is not advised.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo also sales them refurbished on their website for 200.00 without the joycon attachments and without the joycon grip. Full year warrantee included. Honestly I never use the joycon attachments. I also stopped using the joy con grip. Easier just to use my snes pro by 8bitdo. Don’t have to waste time taking the joycons out and such

are they in good shape?

thats awesome but probably in USD... and post patched units too for those who want the homebrew

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work