Nintendo begins banning pirates from 3DS online service

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here, i have a sky3ds and gateway, but every game on my sky3ds i own myself and dumped it myself, so i use my own headers to.
It's just the ease of having 1 cart in the console instead of taking 30+ games with me.
If they just use their own headers, they're fine.
I've used public headers, (I own every game i've ever downloaded), and haven't played online since begin february, and haven't been banned.

Is it possible to change your NNID?
There's no proof that using a private header is completely safe. I don't know much about headers, but wouldn't it be possible for them to match the header with a specific game? Using the CD-key example, instead of multiple people using the same key, it'd be people using a Diablo 2 CD-key for Starcraft. They may not (or probably don't) have the ability to do that comparison now, since they haven't had the need to for that long, but I would imagine it'd be possible for them in the future.

I've been using the Metal Gear Solid header that was posted here for all of my games, but luckily I still have my copy of Shin Megami Tensei IV, so I'm gonna go ahead and use my own from now on. .cia files might be safe (presumably) now, but I imagine it'd be fairly easy for Nintendo to track any games that connected without a header, so that safety might not last for long.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
There's no proof that using a private header is completely safe. I don't know much about headers, but wouldn't it be possible for them to match the header with a specific game? Using the CD-key example, instead of multiple people using the same key, it'd be people using a Diablo 2 CD-key for Starcraft. They may not (or probably don't) have the ability to do that comparison now, since they haven't had the need to for that long, but I would imagine it'd be possible for them in the future.

I've been using the Metal Gear Solid header that was posted here for all of my games, but luckily I still have my copy of Shin Megami Tensei IV, so I'm gonna go ahead and use my own from now on. .cia files might be safe (presumably) now, but I imagine it'd be fairly easy for Nintendo to track any games that connected without a header, so that safety might not last for long.

True, it's waiting to see if someone finds out what Nintendo checks and what exactly is banned, untill then it's all speculation :/
There is alot to figure out:
- Logs that are created on your 3ds of your activity (what exactly is logged? headers, checksums, does the header mathces the game you play etc..)
- What does nintendo check when you play online
- What gets banned, nnid, mac, specific serial from hardware in your 3ds, game header itself, etc...
- Or whatever we don't know yet.

Time will tell :D

caitsith2

Trophies
a secret location 93 million miles from the sun
Website
www.caitsith2.com
XP
Country
Canada
.cia files might be safe (presumably) now, but I imagine it'd be fairly easy for Nintendo to track any games that connected without a header, so that safety might not last for long.

Well, I could see nintendo banning on that as well, for the fact that they would be able to see that you connected online with a specific title, but don't see a record of you ever having bought that title, or otherwise owning it, via a 3DS that it came pre installed on.

Definitely probable that Nintendo is watching for more than one copy of a given header showing up online, at the same time.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I could see nintendo banning on that as well, for the fact that they would be able to see that you connected online with a specific title, but don't see a record of you ever having bought that title, or otherwise owning it, via a 3DS that it came pre installed on.

Definitely probable that Nintendo is watching for more than one copy of a given header showing up online, at the same time.
That's only true for eShop titles. You can install retail games, dumped in .3ds format, as .cia. They can prove you bought something, but they can't ever disprove you buying something.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium

Hmmz, right, Maybe Nintendo can check what games gets installed on 3DS (played from 3DS instead of cartridge) and see if you actually bought the game, if you bought it it would show up in your list of games you own in the e-shop.

anyway my N3DS gets only legit bought games online/retail cart and i use my 3DS/3DS XL for the other stuff, i haven't played online ever with any of them :/, not even with my retail games.

Note: I just wonder, I bet some games gets dumped before being sold (alot of stores remove the gamecart and only display empty boxes in the shelves, when you buy it, the insert everything in the box) So there is a change that you buy a legit game but the header is already out in the public, cause a store employee dumped it already and the game got released in the scene (i know scene releases got the header removed) or ind. release. So to be 100% safe i will only buy in stores that sells sealed gameboxes (some stores put the sealed game in a anti theft plastic box)

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmz, right, Maybe Nintendo can check what games gets installed on 3DS (played from 3DS instead of cartridge) and see if you actually bought the game, if you bought it it would show up in your list of games you own in the e-shop.

anyway my N3DS gets only legit bought games online/retail cart and i use my 3DS/3DS XL for the other stuff, i haven't played online ever with any of them :/, not even with my retail games.

Note: I just wonder, I bet some games gets dumped before being sold (alot of stores remove the gamecart and only display empty boxes in the shelves, when you buy it, the insert everything in the box) So there is a change that you buy a legit game but the header is already out in the public, cause a store employee dumped it already and the game got released in the scene (i know scene releases got the header removed) or ind. release. So to be 100% safe i will only buy in stores that sells sealed gameboxes (some stores put the sealed game in a anti theft plastic box)
A game being sealed means nothing. Some of the more unscrupulous stores/employees have been known to open cases and then reseal them with shrinkwrap. If you think every sealed game you buy has only been touched by you, then you're sadly mistaken. Obviously it doesn't happen all of the time, and probably not even most of the time, but it does happen.

It's technically possible for "brand-new" 3DS game that you bought has already been in the hands of someone who dumped it and left your header all out in the open. The chances are very slim, but it's not impossible.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like recent events with Club Nintendo closing is also an effort to get rid of 3DS modifiers and pirates.

They made Flipnote Studio 3D exclusive to eshop and people are scrambling to get club nintendo games n stuff. Lots of people updating their 3DS. Lots of 3DSs no longer able to do the exploits.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like recent events with Club Nintendo closing is also an effort to get rid of 3DS modifiers and pirates.

They made Flipnote Studio 3D exclusive to eshop and people are scrambling to get club nintendo games n stuff. Lots of people updating their 3DS. Lots of 3DSs no longer able to do the exploits.
1) They're replacing Club Nintendo with another rewards system. Also, how would Club Nintendo closing adversely affect pirates? Pirates (most of them) don't buy games, or at least most of their games, so they wouldn't have coins anyway.
2) You do know that eShop games can be pirated, right? It becoming eShop-exclusive means nothing. People are scrambling to get Club Nintendo games and stuff because if they don't their current points are wasted.

These things you mentioned have nothing to do with piracy.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
1) They're replacing Club Nintendo with another rewards system. Also, how would Club Nintendo closing adversely affect pirates? Pirates (most of them) don't buy games, or at least most of their games, so they wouldn't have coins anyway.
2) You do know that eShop games can be pirated, right? It becoming eShop-exclusive means nothing. People are scrambling to get Club Nintendo games and stuff because if they don't their current points are wasted.

These things you mentioned have nothing to do with piracy.

Reminds me to spend my rest of Nintendo points (think i have around 2000 left) before the close shop :D

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Suits them right! Playing online with hacked roms is not fun...

Look who's here ;), LOL, ok on with the topic
I wonder if the ban is permanent, or that it can be removed by updating to the next new, yet to come firmware.
(I presume it's banned for life, but you never know.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I did an error code lookup, and nothing seems to be refering to a ban.

002-0102 seems to be some sort of connectivity issue on the user side, I highly doubt it they would be using this error code if the users were banned. Quick question to all the users that got banned, have you blocked any of the nintendo sites via the router?? If yes, remove them and try connecting again.
I think there's a proper error code when the user is banned, imma try and find it (I'll post it if I find it)

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suits them right! Playing online with hacked roms is not fun...
Playing with Gateway does not mean they have access to cheats. You can get hacked Pokemon without a Gateway device, and you could always use an Action Replay. If you played against people online who use Gateway, I bet you wouldn't be able to tell.
I did an error code lookup, and nothing seems to be refering to a ban.

002-0102 seems to be some sort of connectivity issue on the user side, I highly doubt it they would be using this error code if the users were banned. Quick question to all the users that got banned, have you blocked any of the nintendo sites via the router?? If yes, remove them and try connecting again.
I think there's a proper error code when the user is banned, imma try and find it (I'll post it if I find it)
Apparently you didn't even read the second part of the FAQ.
Q: Wait, banned? How do they know?
A: Users in multiple countries have been getting error 002-0102, which normally means an internet connectivity problem. However, after contacting Nintendo, multiple users have confirmed that the CS says its a ban. They offer no further information at this time, and can not overturn it. As of now, there is no solid evidence that it is a NNID ban, and most conjecture/circumstance points to a MAC/SN ban. Users that are banned can still enter the eShop and purchase games, and download updates. They can not go online within any game or use their friends list. They also can not use ANY application that requires online connectivity, including Pokemon Bank, YouTube, and Netflix. However, the Web Browser DOES still work.

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
So, if someone who haven't got online till now(like me), won't be banned?

Its good that I got my Gateway 3ds card late. :lol:

moneychild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This banning thing was predicted since the headers first became known. I remember reading somewhere that you should use your own header
What I want to know is that someone is spending $80 for a gateway or some other card, why did couldn't they added an extra $10 and brought a cheap game like angry birds for the header and so they could safely enjoy their pirated games?
This puzzles me!!!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo