Nintendo DSi Shop & Wii Shop Channel quietly pulled offline, with no ability to redownload titles

20220316_224035.jpg

If Nintendo announcing the discontinuation of the eShop for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U wasn't bad enough, strap yourselves in. Around 10:00pm CST, with no prior announcement, both the DSi Shop and Wii Shop Channels were quietly pulled offline, leaving previously downloaded purchases and titles unable to be redownloaded, showing error codes 290502 and 209601 for both systems respectively. Nintendo's CDN, which is the download server that houses all of the update and shop data, remains to be active with the ability to download titles with tools such as NUSDownloader, showing that only the frontend of the stores have suddenly disappeared. Nintendo's status page still lists that everything is operational, though it's currently unknown if this was a mistake like last year's eShop incident, or if this really is the end of an era.

:arrow: Source

[6-7-2022 Update]
Both shops are back online. See this post for more information.

Last edited by MaxiBash,

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Physical media is also increasingly becoming pointless on consoles as well. What's the point of buying the game on a disc when you'll just have to install it to a hard drive and download a large update before you can play it anyway? You're just adding extra inconvenience for yourself, necessitating disc-swapping when you want to play a different game
Yeah they're slowly trying to get rid of that as well. I believe in physical media. My bigger concern is not being able to trade or sell the games you own digitally.

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This strikes me as unintended.

I have been commenting this down since I noticed it right off the bat, I have mentioned it too i believe on here - a lot. That this isn't nintendo anymore, this is new nintendo; I have stated this because, they have lost their og title when the old president died, reggie left and Luigi went into retirement - seriously have you've noticed how un-nintendo they have been behaving through out the spam of the switch release? The games make it obvious(note; example the 800+ mobile imports..not kidding here, last time I checked it was at 400+ now it got boosted up to 800+ but that was when I checked it out but I know for a fact it grew larger now), and their responses are just plain corporate as heck to the backlash they receive to the "Crack downs"(joycons, tournaments) they've done to *any* community member who tries to give to the community, - og nintendo didn't do any of that at all, they allowed it, the only time they would actually do a proper crack down is when idiots decide to do actual illegal stunts with nintendo branded characters - I get that but it got extremely ridiculous with new nintendo targeting anything - that it's a dang meme... sad really.
Fairly, I know about them doing this previously before they went corporate unhinged, however, it wasn't targeting every stinking person - even people who are used to og nintendo tactic legit are surprised of how bad it's been getting - including when new nintendo decided to do something they *never* in their entire life spam of being og nintendo would've behaved in a manner at all, yet they got involved with a off nintendo related thing and that was with the occult that occurred on said beginning or middle of last year..making a NPC message statement, that shill companies would do all the time.

With That being stated;
I just pointed out some of the whole entire new nintendo burnt cake toppings that has occurred but I am pretty sure you can get the whole burnt cake if you look into it even more of how off friendly family they have been moving on as a company in whole - the last straw for me was when they started to push out litereal ecchi games that had teenage characters in it to adults, other grotesque perverse games as well(note; yeah I know about those certain types of 3ds games but they didn't last long..they got shunned down, and parents avoided it for their children, those that are parents not the ones who like to title their self that but don't give a darn on what they give to their poor child to play with), to me finally seeing that they are in fact going in a heavy woke direction , bro they used NPC words on one of their public statements.....I had a stroke once I realized that...then to make it worse new nintendo is going to be reportedly doing loot boxes which I wouldn't be surprised especially how the "company" is going in the direction they are..

..like come on man they haven't made an og nintendo game in years like ever since Mario odysee released, - the selection for their titles is small..compared to Xbox or Sony, and i don't like mentioning such things because it's just gaming but it's gotten to a point that it needs to be pointed out..

Exhausting to see that a company you grew up with turns to shart corporate. ..but this is my take here whether you agree or not is up to you.

Last edited by HinaNaru Cutie,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tested the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii U to see if it went back up, and instead of an error code, it loads me into a blank white screen with no music playing. It feels like the Wii equivalent to an abandoned K-mart.

Reactions: Takokeshi

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still upset that they took down removed the ability to buy games from the Wii Shop Channel before I got my Wii U. I totally would have bought some Wiiware and VC games while jamming to that sweet, sweet music.
If Nintendo did their job properly games bought via the Wii Shop would be downloadable for free via the Nintendo eshop.

Well, yeah, there is that. Though I believe, if I recall correctly, Xbox might have been attempting to put in place a system for reselling digital games before public outrage forced them to completely backtrack on their initial plans.
Why would anyone think selling on their digital games is a bad thing? If it's a developer sales thing then put a finite number on the amount of keys made available for a game.

Reactions: Aerocool

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I should have clarified. The backlash was over Xbox's planned regular online connection requirement and more restrictive DRM that might have prevented reselling or trading in discs. The tradeoff was that Xbox's plans to allow games to be played without the disc in the console, as well as to be able to share and resell digital games, had to be dropped.

https://www.engadget.com/2013-06-19-xbox-one-80-microsoft-reverses-xbox-one-drm-features.html
I see. I wonder if there was a way around this?

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not that I can imagine. In order to prevent abuse/misuse of the system they had planned (like installing a game with a disc you bought and then giving it to all of your friends for them to install), tighter DRM controls were necessary. The overwhelmingly negative feedback they received made it clear to them that the market didn't appreciate the planned limitations, so they had to abandon their designs.
It's like the only reason I wanted the Intellivision Amico to succeed. So that other companies like Valve would take notice and allow games to be traded. Some form of physical media (even for PC) would still be available in the future.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will be the people with the digital only ps5 in 10 years or less
This will happen with literally every PlayStation console. They all have a DRM flaw where if the CMOS battery dies after PSN goes down you can't play anything, including physical games.

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Physical media is also increasingly becoming pointless on consoles as well. What's the point of buying the game on a disc when you'll just have to install it to a hard drive and download a large update before you can play it anyway? You're just adding extra inconvenience for yourself, necessitating disc-swapping when you want to play a different game.
hence why the whole game should be on the disk when you buy it rather then have to download that big release patch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Heheh