Nintendo expects the Switch to continue strong for the next few years, has "strong lineup" of upcoming games

dsdadsdsa.png

Doug Bowser, CEO of Nintendo of America, discussed the Nintendo Switch and plans for the future, in an interview with the Associated Press. Even though the Nintendo Switch is seven years old now, Bowser is confident that the console will continue to perform well, with Nintendo "feeling bullish" about sales. According to him, there's also a "very very strong lineup" of games coming soon, teasing that Nintendo will plan on supporting the Switch for years to come. Beyond that, when asked about whether or not Nintendo has a "Switch Pro" in the works, he simply responded with, "One of the things we look at always is how can we surprise and delight. How can we introduce new unique ways of playing. That´s always in front of our mind."

I should be careful about what I personally would like to see (in a new Switch). But what I can share is that one of the reasons that even going into year seven we feel very confident that the Switch can have a strong performance over the next few years is that it is still truly that unique device that you can play in a variety of ways, at home, on the go. One of the things we look at always is how can we surprise and delight. How can we introduce new unique ways of playing. That’s always in front of our mind.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Costello,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
they have zero competition in the "proper" gaming mobile market rn (no, the steam deck doesn't count nobody but nerds are aware of its existence) and chips will take a few years to drop in price so it makes sense.

car manufacturers at one point were mass-purchasing washing machines and dryers to salvage components just last year so it isn't really feasible to try and mass produce a new handheld anytime soon.
the steam deck would count if it was cheaper honestly

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This post only reads to me that they plan on releasing games on the Switch for a few more years. Nothing really news-worthy about that. The Switch will still be strong for a few years =/= We have nothing new in the works.

A typical Nintendo cycle is anywhere from 5 to 6 years, but I'd assume they're waiting 'til late 2024 for Orin and DDR5 to be cheap enough to put into their next system so they're not charging more than $350 for it. For this interview, they're probably just doing the usual corporate speak to keep people from over-speculating or over-hyping.

If I'm wrong, then maybe they really are going to try milking everything they can out of the Switch, but considering we're starting to see dips in Switch sales, I don't think it makes too much sense for them market-wise to try milking it for "a few more years" before releasing something new.

Reactions: Defective1Up

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the steam deck would count if it was cheaper honestly
Just as Nintendo has no desire to compete with Valve, Valve has no desire to compete for the 8-14 audience. $400 is plenty cheap enough for PC gamers who already have a decent-sized Steam library, and it's much more important for the purposes of distinguishing itself that Deck is powerful enough to play next-gen games.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at this point, the switch is less of a portable combined with a home console so much as it is a weaker portable console that has hdmi out. maybe they'll use Nvidia's orin or thor architecture to keep compatibility (should be possible, right) and put out a umm...switch U? switch 3d? switch ar? nintendo's innovations tend to be built on past failures, or tech that wasnt "quite ready yet".

eh, but they'll probably be fine.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
at this point, the switch is less of a portable combined with a home console so much as it is a weaker portable console that has hdmi out. maybe they'll use Nvidia's orin or thor architecture to keep compatibility (should be possible, right) and put out a umm...switch U? switch 3d? switch ar? nintendo's innovations tend to be built on past failures, or tech that wasnt "quite ready yet".

eh, but they'll probably be fine.
That's exactly the issue, Nintendo jumped on a once in a lifetime deal after Nvidia's Shield devices all flopped pretty hard. Now Nvidia is sitting on a roughly 80% market share for desktop GPUs, so mobile chipsets are hardly even an afterthought for them.

If Ninty is truly waiting for an Nvidia chip that's powerful enough to be considered an upgrade, but also cheap enough that they can maintain their current profit margin, Switch 2 will release in 2032 at the earliest.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Just as Nintendo has no desire to compete with Valve, Valve has no desire to compete for the 8-14 audience. $400 is plenty cheap enough for PC gamers who already have a decent-sized Steam library, and it's much more important for the purposes of distinguishing itself that Deck is powerful enough to play next-gen games.
Wait, it's only $400??? I thought it was a thousand... I ought to save up for one in that case.
Also true, but I moreso meant in the general "good games on the go excluding android/ios titles" market

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wait, it's only $400??? I thought it was a thousand... I ought to save up for one in that case.
Also true, but I moreso meant in the general "good games on the go excluding android/ios titles" market
$400 for the 64GB model yeah, though I'd definitely recommend grabbing a SSD upgrade for that one. No shortage of great games between being able to emulate damn near anything and also play PC titles, of course.

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nearly every person i know who owns a switch is a grown adult.
the idea that it's a kids console is a foolish one and comes from the same place as insulting adults who enjoy animation.
there's just a lot of people who want a no-nonsense gaming system that doesn't revolve around action, horror and ultra-realistic graphics.
"mobile" or handheld PCs aren't a new thing but every single iteration of them beyond laptops have been more or less a total failure until the deck; whether it be due to price, specs or the effort involved in just playing a game. additionally the deck came out during a recession where the average person isn't interested in buying new hardware.

i love my deck but your opinion is coloured by a bias so old that its preparing to go to its kids graduation from college.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That would be unusual considering they normally release a new one after 6 or so years. Plus, the hardware of the Switch struggles with new games.

Due to the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC and due to Tears Of The 70 bucks, there is no way any mention of a new Nintendo console will be made this year, as that would hurt sales and their goal to sell more Nintendo Switch consoles.

At most they will release a model with more Ram as that wouldn't hurt compatibility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: ok