Nintendo is celebrating Mar10 day with a week long sales promotion

happy-mario-day-march-10-mar10-nintendo-switch-discounts-deals-games-re3.jpg

If you weren't aware, March 10th is MAR10 Day, as decreed by Nintendo. To celebrate the yearly occasion, the company is holding a promotion on the European Nintendo Switch eShop for any games that star the lovable mascot. Purchasing Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis Aces, or New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe will result in double the normal amount of Gold Points earned. Meanwhile, North Americans that haven't joined in yet can party it up by getting 50% off one of the aforementioned titles if they buy a Nintendo Switch console. For those that already have a Switch system, Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart will be selling the five games in digital form for $39.99 each, a discount of $20.00 from their retail cost. The offer will last from March 10th until March 16th.

:arrow: Source: Nintendo USA
:arrow: Source: Press Release

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Let's see... If I'm not Google-ing wrong, then Europeans normally get 3 euro in 'usable here only' eshop money when purchasing something of 60 bucks. But when getting odyssey, they now temporary get .. 6 euro's?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
None of them should be if you ask me. How are you going to charge retail for ports that run at almost half the speed and fps as their console counterparts? Anything exclusive to the switch is barely more than a game developed for a handheld or a rehash of previously released games. 60 bucks for games like let's go pikachu and mario kart. Nah.

And the balls of these people to price this handheld tablet the same as a ps4 or xbox.
The Switch costs $257 to make.

So about $43 above the price to produce the system people have to pay. They also have to make up for R&D costs, (money invested hoping for future pay off), making sure the middle man gets payed, in this case GameStop or Bestbuy, and the costs of shipping, cost of quality checks. The $300 has to pay for all that, with them hoping enough Switches sell to make profit down the road.

Nintendo just like other competitors don’t make profits when they first release their systems, and may take months or years before any profit is seen. And it’s why Nintendo doesn’t have higher quality parts. It’s to keep the cost of the system cheaper and make it more marketable, which is what working because the Switch is doing well in sales.

Last edited by SG854,

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shame they didn't set a deal offering any Mario game for 10 quid for 10 minutes just randomly at anytime-should be more generous with the millions they make and it would make people keep an eye on it and keep nintendo switch in the spotlight-mayb next year

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May the 4th be with you
Mar10 day

Are there any other franchise dates chosen for silly reasons like this?
Well, there's 4/19, which is considered Sheik Day in Japan by fans. I don't know why, but it may have something to do with the number 419.

Reactions: x65943

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing because of the pronunciation of four in Japan is pronounced "shi"
I tried doing an image search, and I found some images where 419 and シーク (seek, Sheik) are somehow related:
00667-1.jpg

wyy5_Iww_400x400.jpeg

DfTMEAiVQAAU0sD.jpg

I guess I might need to ask a Japanese fan to understand what the meaning of this is.

Edit: I think I'm begining to understand the number association; it's similar to how Hatsune Miku is associated with 39:

4=シ(四, shi)
1=ー(一, ichi)
9=ク(九, ku)

Mystery solved! Big thanks to this page for the explanation.

Edit 2: Oh my gosh, I just learned something else about the numbers 4 and 9:
  • The numbers 4 and 9 are considered unlucky in Japanese: 4, when pronounced shi, sounds like the word for death (死), and 9, when pronounced ku, sounds like the word for suffering (苦). So they are often pronounced yon and kyu instead.
The Shadow Temple makes better sense now!:O

Last edited by MushGuy,
Reactions: x65943

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried doing an image search, and I found some images where 419 and シーク (seek, Sheik) are somehow related:
00667-1.jpg

wyy5_Iww_400x400.jpeg

DfTMEAiVQAAU0sD.jpg

I guess I might need to ask a Japanese fan to understand what the meaning of this is.

Edit: I think I'm begining to understand the number association; it's similar to how Hatsune Miku is associated with 39:

4=シ(四, shi)
1=ー(一, ichi)
9=ク(九, ku)

Mystery solved! Big thanks to this page for the explanation.

Edit 2: Oh my gosh, I just learned something else about the numbers 4 and 9:
  • The numbers 4 and 9 are considered unlucky in Japanese: 4, when pronounced shi, sounds like the word for death (死), and 9, when pronounced ku, sounds like the word for suffering (苦). So they are often pronounced yon and kyu instead.
The Shadow Temple makes better sense now!:O

I'm so confused because I can find is this

https://jisho.org/search/シーク

But yes, shi (four - 四) and shi (death - 死 ) are indeed pronounced the same, many people in Asia are very superstitious about that number, and apartment buildings won't have a "fourth" floor. They do, but they'll number it as one, two, three, five or something weird. I suppose it makes sense now, shi and ku are the "On" (pronounced as "own") (Chinese) readings of "yon" and "kyu".

Speaking of weird numbers, when you say someone is twenty years old, you don't say "ni juu sai desu" but "hatachi desu"

Last edited by the_randomizer,

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My whole thing was based on the fact that they marketed it as a new gen console. So we're really not arguing the same thing.

For every 10 hours you play the thing, only 3 can be played in handheld because you have to charge the rest of the time. So even for a compact mobile device.. it's kind of shit, considering most mobile tablets and gaming devices have a 10+ hour battery life. It defeats the purpose.

My point being, form factor doesn't matter most of time cause you have to play it as a console. Who cares about the form factor of their console when its sitting on a shelf hooked to a tv?

Honestly it falls short of a mobile device and a console.

Weird analogy lol. I still don't get it and I'm not gonna bother anymore.
Most portable gaming devices have 4-6 hours playtimes, I know that for a fact cause I had own most them so don't bullshitting me here. Mobile tablets got much more juice because of them much much much bigger battery, well worth it for its exorbitant prices (plus using more power-efficient chip and os). Switch hours also varies from 2.5 - 6 hours based on games played.

You're right though, no one will care. No one. Except those 32 millions sold.

Edit: I also want to add that you really have no idea how mobile devices work (form, heat, battery, power factor etc). You need more research. Good day.

Last edited by MagnesG,

Thardus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I get a Nintendo sales newsletter I'm reminded how glad I am that I modded my N3DS/WiiU/Wii. Although not DRM-free, I like Steam because I can take the games with me when I outgrow the PC. I'm sick of rebuying the same MAR10 game just to have my Nintendo games consolidated on the latest-ish Nintendo system, not to mention there are many games that aren't available because of various copyright issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    btei @ btei: why does blue flavour taste so yummay