Nintendo Is So Not Screwing Around With 3DS Piracy

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Seraph said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Uh no it isn't. Sony has still done worse. Nintendo is giving people a warning here, sites are reporting it. I don't recall Sony giving any of the hackers a warning.
Can anyone give me the source where Nintendo is making an official statement of a warning? Nintendo's term of agreement says it, but so does most other console's do too. Everyone is getting worked up buy some outrageous sign a SINGLE retailer put up.
It's all in the wording.
Normally it's "using unauthorised devices may harm the consoles operation" I.e. It's the mod's fault
This is "your device may jot boot after firmware update if there is a record of an unauthorised device" I.e Ninty have done it deliberately.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really, really doubt that Nintendo would remotely brick consoles. But I've been wrong here many times before and should I be wrong this time, I don't see how people can argue that it's okay for Nintendo to do so while you shit all over Sony for doing basically the same thing to a less destructive extent.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Isaac_GS said:
mysticwaterfall said:
Fear Zoa said:
Hypershad12 said:
I think the log would be somewhat useful, but if the DSLite and the DSi can read a flashcart header as a completely different game, then wouldn't the 3DS log it as that game it's pretending to be rather than the actual flashcart? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Wouldn't it be somewhat obvious even if this was true ....most of the headers that are used are kinda terrible games.,and if you see someones log spending 500+ hours on say....my cooking coach......wouldn't you be just a little suspicious

Except of course, there's no way for Nintendo to prove you're not just the worlds biggest fan of My Cooking Coach.
What the teams should have done from the start is set the header to Dragon Quest IX. That game has enough legit players with 500 hours logged that anyone at Nintendo looking at your 3DS log would be unable to tell who's a legit player and who's playing Final Fantasy Adventure on Lameboy.

I seriously don't think that would work, Mr Sony wannabe. Connect the dots.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has blown up so much that it leads me to believe that this measure isn't that simple. The first thing that came to everyone's heads was "just patch it to make it look like another game is being played" If most of us came up with that within the first five minutes of hearing this. What makes you think Nintendo hasn't? I don't think anyone should read too much into anything until this is put into practice. Because right now, all we can do is speculate...

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they mean they will purposely block the offending cart (and by blocking it, it will be effectively bricked for use on the 3DS), not brick the handheld itself.

Who are you gonna sue if the 3DS bricks your flashcart that has been deemed illegal in the first place?

This sounds more likely than Ninty bricking brand new systems.

At any rate, it's neither here nor there for me, I'm not gonna bother with the 3DS. Once the last DS game is dumped, I'm done. Current systems are too internet-happy for my tastes.

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another reason I can't see this happen, is that the Action Replay devices are considered "unauthorized" as well. So your 3DS could get bricked when you weren't even pirating and just messing around with cheat codes on your Mario game. And don't say Nintendo couldn't be sued for that because they already lost a court case about using cheat devices on their equipment a long time ago. Look up the Galoob vs Nintendo case about the Game Genie from back in the NES/SNES days.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
The Nintendo terms of agreement clearly state that it is possible that the 3DS might not be able to boot up after firmware updates if unapproved or illegal devices are used in the 3DS.
I think this means that if you modify your 3DS the 3DS might stop working if some features of the new update mess up some of the modified things. I seriously doubt Ninty will brick their own systems. Pretty sure it's the same as this:
QUOTEEurope
(If you have received this notice before, please disregard the following information.)

Dear customer,

Nintendo would like to inform you that a Wii menu update is now available. Select the UPDATE button on the lower right to update your Wii console. You can also update by selecting Wii SYSTEM UPDATE in the Wii Settings.

IMPORTANT

When the Wii Menu is updated, unauthorised hardware and/or software modifications may be deleted and unauthorised content may be removed as it may damage your console and/or cause interference with game play. Please note that the removal of unauthorised content may lead to immediate or delayed inoperability of your console. Nintendo cannot guarantee that unauthorised software or accessories will continue to function with the Wii console after this or future updates of the Wii Menu.

Note: if you have already updated your Wii console since 22 June 2010, you do not need to update again.

Nintendo

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
"Nintendo 3DS needs to update"
"Ok, I Agree"
"Nintendo 3DS is updating... Update complete"
"Yay, now let me play super ma---"
"WARNING!!! Unautherised software found in 3DS while update, update failed... Please restart"
"Okey lets resta---"
"Nintendo"
"Ok its loading"
3 minutes later...
"Its still loading... F*ck this i'm getting a NGP"

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
AlanJohn said:
"Ok, I Agree"
"WARNING!!! Unautherised software found in 3DS while update, update failed... Please restart"
"Okey lets resta---"
"Nintendo"
"Ok its loading"
3 minutes later...
The you'll go and try to use piracy on NGP too. And get the same thing.

If you think gaming is about not paying for games, think again.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
AlanJohn said:
"Ok, I Agree"
"Okey lets resta---"
"Nintendo"
"Ok its loading"
3 minutes later...

The NGP may say your account has been terminated, some odd system error, and then an e-mail from Sony will be in you inbox saying that you will be sued for 1 million dollars.

sixteenbuttons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im wondering if the longer load times for DS games on the 3DS couldn't be some sort of cart verification, that in the extra few seconds it takes to load a DS game on the 3DS, the 3DS is somehow verifying that the cart is legit, with some method that goes beyond verifying the rom's header, perhaps checking if AP has been disabled somehow. I could very well not know what the hell i am talking about, but maybe thats how nintendo plans to catch pirates.

Also, hasn't Nintendo tried to Brick modded Wii's since day one? Every time a system menu update comes out, isn't there a rush of threads that say "Will system menu update X.X brick my Wii?" Just because Nintendo hasn't succeeded in blocking piracy and homebrew on Wii, they have definitely still tried. Remember when 4.1 or 4.2 was bricking even virgin wii's? I really do not think it is that far fetched for Nintendo to remotely brick pirates' 3DS's.

Also, before 3DS was even announced, wasn't there discussion of some sort of AP Nintendo was planning to use that would brick flash carts (by wiping their firmware of something) if they tried to put commercial roms on them? Anyone else remember that? Pretty sure i read about it here maybe a year or so ago.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hop2089 said:
Maedhros said:
AlanJohn said:
"Ok, I Agree"
"Okey lets resta---"
"Nintendo"
"Ok its loading"
3 minutes later...

The NGP may say your account has been terminated, some odd system error, and then an e-mail from Sony will be in you inbox saying that you will be sued for 1 million dollars.
Was that supposed to be funny?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I think they mean they will purposely block the offending cart (and by blocking it, it will be effectively bricked for use on the 3DS), not brick the handheld itself.

Who are you gonna sue if the 3DS bricks your flashcart that has been deemed illegal in the first place?

This sounds more likely than Ninty bricking brand new systems.

At any rate, it's neither here nor there for me, I'm not gonna bother with the 3DS. Once the last DS game is dumped, I'm done. Current systems are too internet-happy for my tastes.
"Internet-happy" is your excuse? Not all people play wifi/used the internet, you don't need to either.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
"Internet-happy" is your excuse? Not all people play wifi/used the internet, you don't need to either.

He's saying systems are becoming too reliant on the internet (online play, some cheap online features) nowadays. Like continued gameplay is more based on how good a game's multiplayer is than anything else it seems. It's quite rare to find a single player game that'll you be playing a lot nowadays (only things I've found that compelling are open world games like Fallout 3/New Vegas and ESIV and soon V).

That's what I believe he said. And there's probably other reasons he's not too keen on the 3DS, just guessing.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:

He's saying systems are becoming too reliant on the internet (online play, some cheap online features) nowadays. Like continued gameplay is more based on how good a game's multiplayer is than anything else it seems. It's quite rare to find a single player game that'll you be playing a lot nowadays (only things I've found that compelling are open world games like Fallout 3/New Vegas and ESIV and soon V).

That's what I believe he said. And there's probably other reasons he's not too keen on the 3DS, just guessing.
That only a opinion and imo there is a lot of good single player games that you can play by yourself
and with multiplayer it just make the game better. Beside what wrong with gaming bringing gamers
closer together?

Anyway only console I think is really heavy on "internet-happy" is the Xbox 360.

Of course you said that at the end....
mellow.gif

42 years old no wonder.... I never get tired of gaming never!
tongue.gif

takun32

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
someone will find a way. what about stealth measures? I think the only way I can think of for pirates to bypass this protection is stealth programed flash carts. what I mean by that is have the same signatures as a legit 3ds game so that when it is registered into the memories it will be registered as mario kart or something. Basically stealth.

I think its extremely stupid that nintendo is showing this off so early. If I was battling a hacker from hacking my product, I would reveal as little information about the anti piracy measures and watch people fall into the trap that I have built.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:

That only a opinion and imo there is a lot of good single player games that you can play by yourself
and with multiplayer it just make the game better. Beside what wrong with gaming bringing gamers
closer together?

Of course you said that at the end....
mellow.gif

For what I'm seeing on the 3DS the only thing that really seems like a chunky single player experience is MGS3D. It's a long game and it does have reason to go back. It's definitely chunkier than the other games (yes, that includes OoT). And when it comes to the whole DS library against the PSP library, I've felt there are games that, purely on a single player, can take like 50 hours for the story. I'm not even halfway through Valkyria Chronicles II and I have like 20+ hours of game time. It's enormous. Most DS games I can kick out in a couple of hours and delete them off my cart. Disposable fun isn't bad now and then but it gets a bit tiresome after a while.

And here comes yet another Guild and Vamp debate.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I always look at multi player gameplay as a side thing that shouldn't be considered as the most important aspect of a game, same thing goes for online and whatnot.
Sure, playing multiplayer can be better than playing... let's say the game's ''story mode'', but that's for a minority of games if you ask me.
So if I can't use online with my games I don't care since I probably never would in the first place (or at least use online on a regular basis), unless it's absolutely needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER